The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

Just finished S1 of The Bear. Excellent, and now I really need to subscribe to Hulu to see S2 & S3 as well as finally watch Shogun.

But I did get lost at the very end. Maybe you experts can enlighten me:

Where did the money hidden in the tomato cans come from?

2 Likes

From his brothers loan from the uncle.

2 Likes

Finished Bear S3. Itā€™s good, but Iā€™m not sure what I watched. Iā€™ll have to go back and re-watch to be sure. The Famous Chef cameo+ appearances were off the scale. Music similarly amazing.

The maternity episode will go on some Emmy reels.

The idiot duo got waaaaaaay too much screen time. I guess they needed comic relief, but it just wasnā€™t funny after awhile. Though it did balance the 2 scenes they did that were important. Breaking boxes/hospital .

Nit: All the proceeds from the restaurant that didnā€™t go back into making it operate. The brother skimmed the revenue instead of paying the Uncle back or paying off vendors.

3 Likes

Yeah I think the season, while very good, felt more like a part 1 of a split season than a complete season.

Iā€™m surprised thereā€™s any qualifying going on with praise of the latest season of The Bear. It was so much better than most anything on offer.

1 Like

I just finished Ice Chips which is the very top tier of any bottle episode ever produced. To get that kind of brilliance from a two person cast is stellar.

1 Like

Ice Chips took a while to land for me, but the climax of the episode really did. For the first little while I was going, ā€œUh oh, is this going to be one of those Connorā€™s Wedding situations where the show clearly thinks itā€™s making one of the GOAT TV episodes and then, despite it being a merely good episode, everyone in the audience is just going to go along with it and say how next-level it was because it seems like the thing to do?ā€ But it fully won me over by the end. Jamie Lee Curtis absolutely killed it, which I canā€™t say is really how I felt about her Fishes performance.

2 Likes

I understand he took a loan (which the restaurant was currently struggling to pay back). I didnā€™t understand what it was doing in cans of tomatoes.

1 Like

The show hints the uncle is mob-adjacent so itā€™s mob money he canā€™t put it in a bank. Itā€™s where he hid it.

3 Likes

Is S1 free somewhere?

It is on my YouTube TV service.

I did not think my wife could handle The Bear and she had heard it was not for her. But after S3E1 I told her it was worth a shot and we are now midway through S1 and she loves it. She is a barely treated alanon so itā€™s already really hitting home.

4 Likes

Wonderful. I hope she enjoys the Jamie Lee Curtis episodes. Idk when Iā€™ll have Hulu again so Iā€™ve been enjoying the spoiled discussions.

Solid Van Lathan/Charles Holmes recap eps available on the Prestige TV feed too, by the way.

1 Like

A double bonus to have Van Lathan on the case. Thanks for letting me know.

was watching a totally unrelated youtube about the olympic trials and was massively spoiled on a future house of the dragon plot point by the title of a suggested video that had automatically appeared in the sidebar. Honestly we live in a fallen world. Be careful out there friends

6 Likes

Does it help at all that HotD has been a fucking slog so far this season?

1 Like

no I like it! I mean it is what it is, itā€™s never gonna be sopranos. I like the castles. Daemon looked super bad ass walking around the haunted castle. And then that conversation with the surviving Strong patriarch was a total riot. Season for sure suffering from lack of gratuitous nudity although hang on I guess there was full frontal sapphire eye last episode. I support his choice! he was a hairless sphynx cat. Also I think there is some scattered psychological / literary depth per dumbass post I posted upthread a couple weeks ago. Iā€™m not a bookreader Iā€™m just watching because finally have maturity to accept that I also like soap operas. And I like watching because I like feeling superior to the green machine. Although starting to see the parallels between dems vs gop is making me uneasy. And for sure agree it can get sluggish. The castle life was a hard knock life.

Honestly the whole show has felt like a slog to me. And hearing that itā€™s only going to be 8 episodes this season makes me wonder if anything is actually going to happen. I like it, but it definitely feels like HBO is trying to milk the shit out of the source material going with a very slow pace.