The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

Naw it would be here. I’m probably waiting a few weeks before I start watching S2.

2 Likes

I’ll allow it

Also what’s up with Alt Shift X? Is he not doing the Episode X explained vids any longer? I don’t see one for S2E1 yet? Am I just not seeing it for some reason?

He normally posts them on saturday

If you check his lives, you can see the 3 hour+ discussion for the first episode. He then tidies it up for a video release later in the week (hopefully soon!).

Yeah, that’s what I’m waiting for.

Ain’t nobody got time for 3hrs of discussion.

For those looking for it

2 Likes

Finished The Sympathizer earlier today.

Started promising, got a little clunky in the middle, ending was…fine, I guess.

It wasn’t bad, but my main feeling is disappointment because I was expecting a 9/10 or 10/10 from a co-production from HBO and A24. What I got was a 7/10 at best.

Thumbs up for sure on a binary scale, but I’m not going to go out of my way to recommend it to people.

Watched Six Schizophrenic Brothers on Max this weekend about a family of 12 that had, well, 6 brothers be diagnosed with schizophrenia. It wasn’t anything special production wise. Lots of stock footage with a voiceover, etc like true crime dramas.

It was interesting in that it approached it from the family drama angle, how one living with 12 people kind of creates some trauma in itself and then having you siblings one by one go crazy when they’re in high school or college and become violent towards you and others or sexually abuse you is just unimaginable.

They do some interviews with the ill brothers that did survive which was surprising but they were too far gone to be interesting. Hard to have an interview with someone who thinks they were crucified with Christ and rose from the grave with him.

House of the Dragon ep. 2

I’m still enjoying this series, but the first 2 episodes have seemed quite dumb to me. Whereas the early seasons of GOT were full of shrewd political maneuvering and intrigue, these 2 episodes are just donks mashing buttons. And the worst part is that these hare brained schemes are actually working. Why even recruit other great houses as allies when all you need is one, two dudes max, to bypass all your enemy’s guards?

Arryk could’ve easily killed Rhaenyra had he not done the trope of the bad guy pausing to give the speech, then being thwarted at the last second.

This season, I’m sure will get good really soon, but right now it has the feel of Benioff and Weiss writing without any book material.

I know to some degree they’re trying to show that Aegon, Daemon, and Cole are morons, but this all seems extremely out of character for the latter 2. Daemon isn’t really an idiot. I’d say he’s quick to anger and ruthless, but calculating. He would never send 2 morons on that mission, he might well have just done it himself. I don’t think they’ve established Cole as someone who would just sacrifice one of his top men either on some pointless mission.

While I’m ranting about hare-brained schemes I guess I’ll add that there’s no way Rhaenyra is sending her young son alone to a place known for violent storms that could also easily have members of the opposing side also in the vicinity. Also, wouldn’t the Velaryons have some say in it? Like this is their future ruler, wouldn’t they be like “umm no, we’d rather you not send our future king, a young kid, alone on this mission.” It did give us the cool moment of the boys losing control of their dragons and Luke being killed, so I guess I’ll give it a pass.

1 Like

The Boys S4 after 4 episodes:

disappointing.

The MAGA plotline is sloppy and unengaging. Butcher Butchering and Homelander Homelandering likewise. Hughie’s dad and mom is…ok I guess? New characters are completely whatever.

Looking like this might be the first disappointing season so far.

1 Like

https://x.com/rottentomatoes/status/1805292351906058674?s=46&t=MZ6hDo7KHLKIDL2qeG0oqg

4 Likes

8 Likes

Its so forced it feels like a parody of shitlibs.

1 Like

Cannot wait!!!

Finished up the final season of Star Trek: Discovery and Ncuti Gatwa’s first season of Doctor Who. I very much enjoyed both series.

I am sad to see Disco go. I think the series started out too angsty, but really found the spirit of Trek by being more optimistic in the last few seasons.

Plenty for the anti-woke crowd to hate. Super-gayvseason, including that kiss. I like the season even more now that the show runner has said it is partly a reaction to The Last Jedi.

Not a bookreader; really liked Thrones. At first I thought it was just for fun but then it had all kinds of satisfying quieter moments, and even now when I get caught in a youtube spiral rewatching old scenes I’m thinking god damn this is all pretty awesome

so I’m gonna keep watching thrones shows until they completely jump the stark, especially when they pour so much money into it—the first season of HotD was like watching an aminated Velazquez painting, it looks so good. It’s a little less fun and a little more brooding than thrones but easily good enough for me to keep watching.

But the worry that’s always in the back of my mind—well, besides that I hope nobody ever asks me to spell any of these fucking names that are all the same anagram for anaemia—is that the source material seems slim and I’m wary we’re ultimately gonna get a show that’s just a filament connecting two dozen splashy plot points like a christmas light

last night made me think it’ll be ok. For example I liked how later when otto is licking his wounds, alicent can’t take the tension and blurts out that she has sinned, bc she needs a human connection, and otto tells her that’s sweet but shut up, and then cut to alicent clop clopping to some other wooden door where the her son is completely on the ropes weeping and she observes him like jane goodall and then just leaves. Different tones but those scenes were the same and the point is this family is damaged & defective. More from last episode: alicent knows criston is bad news just like rheanyra knows daemon is bad news and they both are continually tempted but look at the choices: alicent gives performative resistance but caves, and rhinaeyra is mature now. Though to be fair rhaenaenya has rhaenoonoo as a mentor and that’s lucky because she’s the biggest badass in westeros; man I knew I was getting older when I started getting a crush on the milf queen relleno but i’m rolling with it. Anyway, if the show can combine any kind of thematic depth with these hilarious scooby doo twin fights then I’m absolutely gonna keep watching. Also otto acted the fuck out of his showcase scene with eggo, and that otto is also the goof roommate in notting hill shows us again how good good actors are. Also, I steer clear of chit chat and spoilers and didn’t even know green vs black was a thing until a couple weeks ago, but I’m team black and in exchange all I ask is that criston gets the most satisfying death since joffrey

7 Likes

+1 to all of it.

2 Likes

The end of HotD s02e01 would have been better if they’d stuck to the book.

1 Like