The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

Anyone checked out this Donald Sterling/Clippers series. Not even sure if it’s out yet. Saw some ads. Not excited about it, but kind of feel like I have to watch it anyway.

https://x.com/JoeyMulinaro/status/1763206989264433246

6 Likes

OMG SHE’S JOINING THE DHARMA INITIATIVE. SHE’S GOING BACK TO THE ISLAND.

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1798019584093749410

4 Likes

I like how, because it apparently contains “politics”, its impossible for anyone to know if the latest star wars show the acolyte is any good at all. Like reviews are worthless/impossible to vet or internally assign weight to. If that makes any sense.

Well there’s always the “watch it” option; it’s not fully impossible.

Episode 1 wasn’t bad, but didn’t really grab me. Hopefully the reason they dropped two at once to start is because episode two has a better hook. Will probably watch that tomorrow.

Episode two is a nice step up. I’m a fair bit more intrigued after that one.

I’m still playing catch up.

But episode 9 of Shogun…

Woooooow

One of the coolest episodes on TV I’ve seen in a long time.

4 Likes

Finally finished Shogun. I’ve been reading the book and making sure to stay ahead in the book before watching the correlating episodes. I kinda think this harmed my enjoyment of the series a bit. It was visually stunning and performances were amazing, but it felt kinda empty and dumbed down. I think I would’ve rated the series a 9/10 if I hadn’t read the book and a 7/10 having read it just before. Anyway, the book is incredible.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s ideal to enjoy the series and then tackle the book afterward if still interested.

Or, having read the book a long while ago, go ahead and enjoy the series. Doing like you did, you’re going to notice plenty of gaps (completely necessary, as the book is colossal in scope and detail).

2 Likes

Awwwww shit

3 Likes

I really prefer the UK version where contestants aren’t all pulled from reality TV shows, but the hype train is certainly picking up speed.

1 Like

Yeah I wish they’d get some shooters and not people who ham it up for the camera but I still like it

1 Like

Trying Succession again and after several failed starts, this show is now clicking for me. Even better imagining the family as an analog for the Trumps. Which is also an analog for Biff Tannen.

3 Likes

Tomorrow is an interesting day. The last of my childhood game show hosts falls.

Game shows have always been a big part of my life. I learned to read by watching Wheel of Fortune. My mom and I bonded over it every night. 40 years of my life later, and Pat Sajak, regardless of what his politics are like in real life, has probably spent more time on my TV than any single other person.

Its a weird feeling. First Barker, then Trebek, and now Sajak. It wouldnt be so bad if I enjoyed any current game show hosts. I mean, Ken is good, but he isnt Alex.

4 Likes

6 Likes

I do love me some Family Feud. The It’s Always Sunny episode of Family Feud with Keegan Michael Key as the host is an all timer too.

1 Like
1 Like

I think Ken is very good.
I’ve watched a bunch of old episodes of J recently, and Alex wasn’t always so great. He was very rough the 1st couple of years. Very stiff and formal
Also watched the 1st dozen or so of Ken’s wins. He wasn’t dominant at all the first few, but by show 10 he was killing it. He looked so young too.

1 Like

I sometimes think about his first game where in FJ he answered “Who is Jones?” for Marion Jones. Had they determined that was not specific enough, he’s probably never on Jeopardy again and is millions of dollars poorer than he is now.

1 Like

Chuck Woolery still slithers among us.

1 Like