The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Wtf is this last episode of Ted Lasso

1 Like
2 Likes

Re: The Bear

Agree with the above post about Copenhagen. Then you follow that up with Ep 6 and holy shit.

1 Like

Finished up The Bear last night and with everything I have going on (that I have posted about in the alcohol thread) that season hit really hard.

I can totally relate to the ending scenes with Carm. The flashbacks of family and others in your life telling you that you are never going to live up to expectations. The despair of Carm in the freezer while the night was mostly a success from an outside perspective is unfortunately how I have felt most of my life. Seemingly fine on the outside and capable of accomplishing things but a total disaster inside due to past trauma.

The scenes with his mom were gut wrenching also. I can relate to some of that. I hope I never end up like that.

I dunno I’ve rarely finished a season of TV and felt that many emotions. I laughed, I cried and yes there were uplifting moments in the season. Rarely have I ever felt a TV show does such a good job of being real. Ending the season with one of the main protagonists (this show does not really have any antagonists which is interesting) locked in a walk in, listening to the voicemail his (now) ex-girlfriend had left him just hours earlier and breaking down is a brave and interesting choice.

3 Likes

Yes chef.

Don’t really know haven’t started season 2 just wanted to say yes chef.

4 Likes

1 Like

I love how Tina’s character developed to the point where instead of mocking carmine by calling him Jeff instead of chef, she starts sincerely calling him Jeffrey, which is more respectful.

2 Likes

Watched The Bear S2E6. Well that was quite the cast.

4 Likes

Not really Bear spoilers but better safe than sorry I guess

Also @Riverman I don’t think this show is for you lol.

I finished the season and I take the above statement back.

So, did y’all like E6 or did you grow up in an alcoholic home?

1 Like

I didn’t grow up in an alcoholic home but I did grow up in a home that routinely would fight at family gatherings. In a family that was full of fucked up people who behaved similarly to the mother or Mikey even if they weren’t drunk. Also I wouldn’t say I liked the episode. It was very disturbing/traumatic in some ways for me to watch it. That being said it I think was an accurate portrayal of a dysfunctional family at holidays. Everyone feels obligated to be there and the host feels obligated to host it. However no one wants to be there, the host is resentful about having to do it and all of the past trauma and present fucked upness of the people at the event almost always lead into some kind of a boiling over. That being said we all want to pretend that our family is normal. That our family is ok. So we go into those family events very much the same way that Sugar does. Thinking maybe, just maybe, this will be the normal family event that we long for.

2 Likes

I love y’all’s commentary. This show is like the anti Ted Lasso. For ep6:

My fave moment was early on when Sugar surreptitiously empties a bottle of vodka into the sink so deep into frame that she nearly slips it by the audience, too.

Am incredible performance from Jamie Lee Curtis fueled by her own path as an addict finding sobriety.

I tried to track the episode under the theme of whatever each catalyst action each character mirrors. Every scene begins with another character trying to ask someone (or everyone) to make space for them.

But a strange thing happened at the midpoint when Michelle (Sarah Paulson) offered Carmy a place of refuge in New York. Carmen didn’t ask for that. Michelle is just being generous.

The dynamic flips from asking for what we need from those who have nothing we want to those same people offering whatever they have to the people who always want something other than what they already have.

I empathized with Carmy as an adult child of an alcoholic and how he claims the same family role in kitchens and restaurants, where he hopes to recreate and redeem what should have been good.

The body keeps the score, and his is wired for that kind of chaos. He grew up in it starting from the womb. The fast pace of the kitchen is where he returns to the same setting as that flashback dinner.

Now I’m going back to this scene and just gonna cry having seen what he was describing.

“Let it rip.”

3 Likes

New season of Futurama in four weeks

I still don’t want to believe that the “So Long, Farewell” thing happened. Holy fucking shit.

1 Like

My podcasts of choice forced me kicking and screaming to binge-watch this season of The Bear since I preferred that to simply skipping any of my regular listens.

This season was wonderful. Truly fantastic stuff.

3 Likes
1 Like

He might as well know now that everyone in the business is a junkie

1 Like

S02E07 left me with some sort of perma-grin long after it was over. That shit was some good medicine after episode 6 (which I did like, but obviously the vibe was as different as it gets).

2 Likes

More Bear (sorry to multi-post, just still digesting).

I fear that there’s some chance that Lionel Boyce’s stellar performance as Marcus may get lost in the shuffle of just insanely good performances across the board, but man oh man does he deserve some roses. He carried the hell out of episode 4, and it continued to pay off after that because I was seriously invested in his stuff for the rest of the season, and found myself suddenly welling up when they showed his phone late in the finale with the ominous texts/missed calls about his mother.

Richie is my favorite character on the show, but Boyce made Marcus surprisingly competitive in that ranking.

4 Likes

Loving The Bear discussion itt. Think I’m gonna rewatch season 2 already.

3 Likes

Same the discussion got me to keep watching and be glad I did.

This guy’s videos are making me want to go back and watch the whole thing again. So much nuance just in the cooking aspects :astonished: