The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Deplorables seem to love the show. IME.

1 Like

Well that does sound familiar. Lots of people at least partially estranged from their free dumb loving relations.

Atlanta Season 3

I think leaning too much into the anthology hurt Atlanta. Atlanta has never been a purely chronological show with each episode feeding into the next one, it’s always been episodic, but even then there was a through line that you could follow. This season it switched one episode anthology and the next main story line. Some of the anthology episodes hit, and some didn’t, but the main storyline has lost its through line until now they’re kind of anthology episodes that just so happen to share the same people

Like Donald Glover and Zazie Beetz, are they together? why weren’t they together? why did they decide to come back together? and who’s watching their kid all this time? Their relationship has just been floating around this season

Paperboi goes from not doing a show because the audience is in blackface to doing an apology tour for some racist fashion designer because he needs the money

and who knows what Darius does or is doing in most of the these episodes.

3 Likes

You can watch the Netflix documentary instead. When the story broke, some French documentarians showed up and the murder suspect agreed to give them access to the whole thing. It’s truly a really bizarre story.

I enjoyed early seasons of Downton Abbey, but at some point it became too much of a soap opera for me. Some of this might be because the show runners had to write out certain characters when actors moved on to other projects.

1 Like

Watched Yellowstone first and then 1883:

Of course our original protagonist, James Dutton, was a Confederate soldier. My read on the show’s politics is that it is written by shitlibs to appeal to conservatives

1 Like

2 years into this and I think I’ve found my key to being productive while I work from home is to have something on in the background that keeps from diving into more unproductive distractions. So today I start my Breaking Bad re-watch. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Anyone else watching Love on the Spectrum U.S.?

Lol, I just finished a BB rewatch in the background while working. Great success! Since I know most of what is going on, it kept me on task while keeping something familiar and comfortable playing in the background that I don’t have to devote too much brain power to

Really enjoyed the UK version. Have not checked out the US yet

Watched the first 2 seasons and really enjoyed them. Didn’t know they were considered “UK”. Will probably watch US soon.

Australian, not UK.

@CanadaMatt3004 failed me :frowning:

1 Like

Ep. 1, Love on the Spectrum

Thought this was a pretty brutal way to the end the date lol

Guy “Will I see you again?”
Gal “M-maybe one day. I’ll think about it. I’ll let my Mom know.”

Love on the Spectrum seems way too depressing to me.

1 Like

Yup, that’s the goal. So far so good. Over 3 episodes in and I got a lot of shit done today, and I avoided falling into the depths of the internet distraction land.

1 Like

Have to say the last episode of 1883 was hard to stomach. This stuff always gets me.

2 Likes

George Carlin’s American Dream

9/10

A great documentary over George Carlin. It’s about 3 hours long and goes through Carlin’s life in detail. What makes the documentary stand out is the amount of material that comes from Carlin himself, either through direct interviews or through his notes. The rest of the material comes from his daughter. The remaining sliver comes from other comedians and managers. They mostly fill in the context of why certain comedic things are important, but they’re not really foregrounded like a less documentary would have been, where this documentary would be an excuse of existing comics to opine. Rather Carlin himself is foregrounded; his thoughts, his marriage, and his relationship with his daughter and mother, all the way until the end.

2 Likes

BCS mid season finale delivering so far

3 Likes

lmao

I’d like to see Ol Slippin’ Jimmy wriggle his way out of this jam!