The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

The Rehearsal S2 is presumably still happening since it got announced back in 2022. The nature of the show is one where we wouldn’t really be getting updates on shooting and such while it’s happening, and at the same time I still would have expected production on it to halt during the strikes. Expecting it to eventually get announced with a fairly short waiting time before it drops.

3 Likes

re: Bosch

It was awesome hearing him say “fucking Bosch” one more time.
Overall it was another solid season. It’ll be interesting to see where they’re going with this finale. Despite Bosch’s usual coloring outside the lines, organizing a prison hit doesn’t seem like his thing. But don’t fuck with his daughter I guess.

Gen V

Agree that there’s a twist coming. Setting up the whole super virus thing and then just dropping it seems incredibly unlikely. It also makes a lot of sense for one of the black supes to get elevated (although not quite to the 7, since we know that doesn’t happen) in the name of political correctness. This being pre-Homelander coming out of the fascist closet.

I’m gonna be super bummed if it’s a dream sequence though. Does that ever work anymore?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put the hit past Bosch, he is an ANGRY man and messing with Maddy definitely crosses his biggest line.

The dream stuff was my thought too as soon as they introduced it in The Boys and then again in Gen V. After Inception, there’s very little territory left to mine in the dreamscape unless that’s somehow the entire point of the premise. Heck, even The Matrix and The Thirteenth Floor played with similar payoffs.

Having said that, Gen V has surprised me over and over again, so if that is what they’re doing, it’s their game to lose.

Maybe it’ll be something like a dream but more limited, like Kate has been manipulating their perception of what’s happening IRL, and part of the fun is in replaying the last episode without the hallucinations.

Beacon 23

Two people become trapped inside a beacon that serves as a lighthouse for intergalactic travelers.

If this feels a lot like “what if Silo were limited to two characters in space instead of underground,” you’d be right on the money as this series is based on a short story by Hugh Howey, the same person who wrote the Wool/Silo novels.

This is really quite something. Expertly paced, wonderful little reveals and twists that hook you instead of redefining everything you’re watching. And it’s just a delight to see Lena Headey starring in a show again that honors her talent.

Sadly this is streaming first ep free, the rest through a subscription to MGM+. Lol at that, so I guess the rest of the story will remain a mystery to me until it’s available on FreeVee or something.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. 1st 2 eps available

1 Like

Bosch concur that the prison call is a red herring. I hope they don’t let it go too far.

This I didnt know but it makes the unbelievably strong writing in Blue Eye Samurai make a lot of sense.

“Created by husband-and-wife team Michael Green (who wrote Logan and Blade Runner 2049) and Amber Noizumi”

3 Likes

Welp looks like I’ll be watching this one for sure.

I’m 2 episodes in and it’s incredible. My god

1 Like

2nd epsiode really hooked me ( especially the fight on the cliffside) but ep 5 currently will be my favorite of the season (unless something happens in the last two that floors me)

And this week’s episode was…not.

WTF was that? Best thing about it was the Boygenius performance and even that had sound mixing problems. Pretty much everything else was terrible.

Didn’t see it, I record all of them so I may not watch at all. Thanks.

Invincible from a guy who (somehow) read all the comics years ago

Zero chance this show doesn’t go completely off the rails with the way the showrunner is planning on doing it. Simmons really has another 8+ seasons of this show? I’m assuming S2 ends with reveal of his return and Mark’s half-brother. After which Omniman is more or less there the whole time IIRC. IMO the only interesting thing in this show is the main viltrumite storyline of which it does typical soap opera stuff of only visiting it a couple times per “season”. I snored through it waiting for Nolan and the rest to show up, and a lot of is um early 2000s stuff that wouldn’t really fly too well today i.e. main characters weight gain and then magic weight loss etc etc.

I’ll check it out again in 10 years when there’s a supercut of only viltrumite stuff and to laugh at presumably Freddy Mercury’s 2nd cousin’s child casting for the voice actor for Thragg.

Watched five minutes. Dialog made it unwatchable. Switched language to Japanese. Now it has potential.

For non-Japanese speakers, I’d recommend switching to Japanese audio & English subtitles for a more authentic viewing experience.

Im pretty sure it was created natively in English. I can try Japanese dub with English sub afterward, but Im quite sure the dialogue is native English and would thus be authentic to the source.

1 Like

Finished this and give it my highest recommendation. It’s subversive, aggressively feminist, and hilarious. Surprised I haven’t heard more about it.

1 Like

This seems really weird if what CanadaMatt says is true (which is what I thought was the case).