The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Old Enough on Netflix is a show that’s been popular in Japan for decades. The premise is simple:

Toddlers, often barely old enough to walk and talk, are sent out alone on their first errand.

Think it’s something that wouldn’t interest you in the slightest?

Think again.

3 Likes

American southern version

Tim-Bob JR struggles pushing the small dolly across busy highway along the gator infested swamp. Jim-Bob Sr is damn proud of his little man’s success while he taps the pony keg.

It is pretty entertaining.

But man I don’t think that show would work in America. The drivers in Prague are too crazy for it to work in the Czech Republic either.

Not with Disney pedophiles running around snatching up children, that’s for sure.

1 Like

I thought the first episode was fantastic and the next two have gotten considerably worse. I guess I’ll finish it at this point, one good thing about releasing an episode at a time is it feels like less of a slog

1 Like

Enjoying Slow Horses through the first three episodes

2 Likes

I’m crushing your head!

2 Likes

Tokyo Vice episode 4. I do like the small detail that he’s from Missouri so when someone brings up Kansas he says it’s arguably an inferior state.

1 Like

Tokyo Vice Episode 4. Lol wtf a CTR ring.

Really disliked episode 3. Yuck

Got to set a reminder to buy my Tim Heidecker Live! tickets tomorrow, probably six bags with a Gregg reminder that it only goes up to five bags

2 Likes

Trying out Super Pumped.

Continuing in the growing trend of corporate fetishization. Ok, sure, np. Can’t wait for the 12 part miniseries about the rise of Netflix coming out this year on Disney Plus.

I like the actors though, especially Kyle Chandler.

First episode… something about his sweater being not charcoal, “Oh, it is a dun-colored mare” she says. “What?” “That’s Salinger”

Wait a sec. Hit pause. Where have I heard this kind of shit before? eh, nvm, don’t care.

20 minutes later and half a dozen arcane pop references later… ok, that’s enough, lemme see… ah, ffs, I knew it, it’s these same fucking guys from Billions. Except this time it’s even worse somehow. Like in one episode they make an extended reference to The Untouchables movie and instead of just going with the analogy as part of w/e business plan they are talking about they actually SHOW the damn scene from the movie!!

Brian Koppelman, David Levien. Stop please.

2 Likes

Finally finished The Americans.

I think this was a difficult show to wrap up in a satisfying way, but I think they did a decent job. I wish we had got a little more definitive closure on Oleg (he really grew on me as the show progressed) but I think that we have to assume that once Philip and Elizabeth get to Arkady, that is enough for the Russian good guys to seize power and make a deal to get Oleg back.

One thing that I found weird, was Elizabeth’s name. I actually thought it might be an issue that comes up in the show (but it didn’t). Almost zero Elizabeths in real life go by “Elizabeth”, it’s always Liz, Beth, Betsy, or whatever. It seems like the most Russian thing ever to go by the full Elizabeth. Even Philip gets a ‘Phil’ now and then. But Elizabeth is always ‘Elizabeth’.

Also, I assume that given how things unfolded in history, Paige and Henry should be able to easily visit their parents in Russia after about 10yrs or so. So, it seems like Paige and Henry staying American was probably the best move although they couldn’t have known it at the time. If we assume this happens and that Oleg gets back home, it seems all the Russians still alive at the end have a decently happy ending.

I’m not sure Philip telling Stan of his suspicions about Renee helped anything. I think Stan was supposed to be a likeable character. And while I didn’t dislike him, I didn’t like him as much as I think I was supposed to. I’m glad he let them go, but I think it should have taken more than a convo in a parking lot to do it.

3 Likes

Billions and super pumped both definitely lean into the anti hero hero in a pretty big way.

Think Wall Street. Very similar vibe. Bad is good.

When the guy first threatens her he says ’ consider everything you have to lose here, and as your people would say, choose the right ’ and the way she reacted made me raise an eyebrow because it was oddly specific way to phrase it.

Just finished the 4th ep. This is the most enjoyable espionage thing I’ve seen since Patriot.

[quote=“Melkerson, post:1200, topic:6988”]
I wish we had got a little more definitive closure on Oleg
[/quote]

He is a KGB agent that tries to recruit the protagonist in Homeland. Head canon, he’s the same agent. That somehow didn’t age.

1 Like

They need this show as well:

There is literally a thing called Slow Horses and it has not already been a UP watch party?

3 Likes

Just finished E3. Enjoying.