The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

Squid Game better set up.
Alice in Borderland better follow through.
Alice > Squid

1 Like

This is central to all of Rowe’s media output: lots of vague and noncommittal cultural solidarity but no class or material solidarity. He respects the aesthetic and the pride and abstractions of “working,” but has absolutely nothing to say about class solidarity among the workers, demands of better safety, or—god forbid—higher pay. Rowe’s most infamous anti-worker writ in this vein was his 2013 “SWEAT Pledge,” a brilliant piece of bourgeois propaganda, whose horror has to be read in its eternity:

|517x653.1023765996343

This depressingly popular mode of working-class masochism has, to a great extent and particularly among white men, gained momentum. A cursory look at voting patterns, union vote losses, and polling—to say nothing of the comments on Rowe’s massively popular Facebook page—show Rowe’s right-wing brand has garnered a non-trivial amount of authentic working class support.

So what does this all mean? And what are the implications of another pop culture product pushing this sinister mode of faux populism? To put it simply, it’s bleak. Rowe and his Koch and Fox News backers know what they’re doing, and they’re very good at it. By taking up the mantle of defender of The Working Stiff by venerating laborers, if only rhetorically, and celebrating their hard work and achievements, they can position themselves as ideological ushers guiding workers through the often hazy space of politics. There is no comparable left alternative, both due to a lack of funding and imagination . Though many in independent Left media try, popular Liberal Hollywood and TV products (e.g. that which can realistically compete with Rowe) largely venerate lawyers, free thinkers, and artists—who are all important in their own right, to be clear. But, after a while, workers who drive garbage trucks, nurse the elderly, and move large beams all day for shit wages want to see themselves championed.

4 Likes

Just fucking cap me instead of making me sign that.

3 Likes

If number 7 is what it takes to get by, shoot me into the fucking sun.

Ugggggh

1 Like

I quit my first job out of business school partially because I had to follow that rule. There were other reasons ahead of it on my list, but my boss was one of those where if you didn’t get into work before him and leave after him, he felt you weren’t working hard enough. And I often had to go to the store to buy cases of bottled water for the office because, you know, tap water just wasn’t good enough for my boss. I didn’t mind it, really, as it got me out of the fucking office.

Does rule 5 mean no mortgages?

Makes me wonder why we don’t have more office shootings.

Wow, white men really like the idea that everyone is the product of their own choices and not their circumstances? And that anyone complaining about unfairness should stfu? shockedpikachu.png.

2 Likes

Not even the worst one. Number 10 is quite rich coming from a white cishet man.

EDIT: Nothing in that list about ponies.

It’s like the wolf becoming a purse dog meme but for white guys

Sub purists are freaks and very weird dudes

1 Like

Survivor is back tonight!?!?

1 Like

Omega/Danielson is tonight. Nothing else matters.

1 Like

Haven’t finished Squid Game yet, but really liking it so far. Some brief thoughts:

The marbles episode is the strongest one so far. The next one (VIPS) is the weakest for me because the English speakers are bad actors and the English dialogue was lame. I get that these are supposed to be superficial materialistic people, but even so the dialogue fell flat.

lol I like how #6 is basically “OSHA is preventing me from being the best darn worker I can be”

Aside-- dunno if anyone watched Home Economics this spring (or watches network sitcoms at all), but it’s back tonight. I enjoyed it; Topher Grace is a good actor, and Jimmy Tatro is maybe the funniest guy at playing a bro on TV right now (you may know him from American Vandal season 1).

That one was my favorite as well. The English actors and lines were so bad that I can’t tell if it was intentional or not. Like a caricature of a caricature type thing because I can’t imagine how they could’ve mangled that so badly otherwise.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1441405833997217798

Are they even making a new season now? I liked the Jodie Whitaker seasons but haven’t heard anything since the last one aired.

They’ve already finished filming a six-episode season that is supposed to be released sometime this year.

1 Like

Third season of Sex Education had some ups and down but ended very well. Overall I enjoyed it.

Ups and downs or ins and outs?

2 Likes