The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

It’s kind of impressive how many movies aren’t on one of the 50 streaming services I’m subscribed to

6 Likes

finished Girls5eva, would recommend

1 Like

I’ve been a fan of Bo Burnham since he was just a YouTuber. He’s matured quite a bit. His post-YT material sorta reminds me of old Steve Martin.

Just watched Inside. Didn’t love Burnham’s last Stand up Special but man this was just supremely well done.

“The world at your fingertips, the ocean at your door” is such a perfect line for Covid isolation times.

New iPhone so free Apple TV. 1 episode in on Ted Lasso. Great potential.

3 Likes

If the trailer nearly has me in tears, I can’t imagine what the film is going to do.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1400540335671943169?s=19

3 Likes

In the best world it is revealed that Tiger King is Borat level leveling.

(Did not watch any Tiger King but get the gist from all the coverage).

The coverage makes more of a caricature of it. No way you would think it’s a Borat type moves unless you watched it. In some ways it didn’t really live up to the hype, but in other ways it was more of a sad train wreck than you could possibly imagine.

The dramatization cannot possibly be more entertaining than the documentary.

I don’t use the term lightly but Bourdain was one of my heroes.

3 Likes

He did so much for exposing the average viewer to different cultures and ways of life. He made the world a smaller, more interconnected place and certainly helped a lot of people be less afraid of the “others”.

“ Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.”

8 Likes

His approach to travel I think made my time around Europe and Asia more wholesome and enjoyable.

When I first started, I had a checklist sort of mentality. Then, I started relaxing more and realizing that the things that stuck most with me were interactions with people not museums (though I find them both enjoyable).

What surprises me is how few people really gain anything via travel. My mother and her partner travelled to multiple cities in Europe on a package tour and their summation was basically “It was great but it wasn’t American enough.” The inconveniences, delays, long waits, and bad service are part of the experience.

4 Likes

I can imagine that.

I’ve got to say, when I was in the US the fake happiness and smiles of waiters didn’t make me feel happy at all; I felt bad for them feeling they had to fake it and found myself wondering how they keep up the pretence all day. Coming from Europe I expect people on minimum wage to be down to earth and less than enamoured with their job.

Smiles on waiters/waitresses are basically saying, “Please tip me. I only make $3 an hour.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZProductionz/status/1400889914237980672

The Bad Cop from Leon the Professional

1 Like

Don’t wish to start yet another tipping derail but are there people who don’t routinely tip?

I assume you’re referring to just America.

If so, then I’m sure they exist. I wouldn’t associate with them though.

Mr. Pink has his outdated and wrong take

The only thing worse than the American tipping culture is talking about the American tipping culture.

6 Likes

I tip the person in front of me on the plane who doesn’t recline their seat.

1 Like