The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

Starts with Ricky Gervais ripping The Office (US) like he’s at the Golden Globes

2 Likes

yea it probably just sucks

Wait, did you really not like The Stand? It’s one of his best books per fans and critics (even if it does have his usual Huck Finn ending).

What did you think makes it Not Good?

I thought season two was excellent.

Did not watch seasons one or three though.

I did not. I read almost everything the guy published between 1980-2010. It took me that long to recognize the things I like about his writing tend to be found more to my taste in his short stories.

Maybe you won’t like it because I think we have almost opposite taste, but if you like The Office it might do it for you.

1 Like

Seinfeld definitely holds up great.

I wonder if Curb would too. I don’t really see them though. Seinfeld reruns are always on.

1 Like

Had to scroll back up to see whether you were commenting on Japanese Office

1 Like

I’m going to make it my mission in life to find a non-obvious book, movie or TV show we both like.

2 Likes

But I loved the episodes I saw! I think I have skipped it because the premise is not big enough for my preference, but I like smaller, wholehearted shows too when I make time for them.

Perhaps we should do a watch along thread for it like the X-Files and Twin Peaks threads? Would be fun to get your POV, especially if we really do end up having opposite takes. At your leisure of course.

We could co author a story called Fahrenheit 787

Published overseas as Celsius 420 for the UK/weed kids

1 Like

I enjoyed the stand but i wouldn’t ever think about rereading it unlike some of his others, but the ending was not great. Just like the ending to Under the Dome which is probably my favorite.

have you read Full Dark No Stars?

That was one of the last from him I read in my everything King must be consumed phase. I was too disappointed to continue.

You’re disappointing me bigly now, thats my Fav lol

1 Like

All Star Trek shows after the original are considered by fans to take a year or two to find their footing before they crank out better episodes.

Shows with ensemble casts often require some time to figure out which characters have the best chemistry together. They may also benefit from getting feedback from their first batch of episodes to air before writing more.

Shows which supposedly have a planned story arc from start to series end often seem to peter out because the first season has been sketched out pretty strong and by the end there are adjustments on the fly due to things not working out, changes of heart, and fans disappointed because the series didn’t end the way they wanted it to.

2 Likes

What were some of your favorites from the collection?

Did you read 11/22/63? That’s one of my favorites. Didn’t watch the Hulu series.

3 Likes

11/22/63 one of my favs as well, I was always fascinated by JFK so I was excited for it and it didn’t disappoint. I thought the show was fine too.

1 Like

A good marriage for sure, probably 1922 was the most memorable just for the sheer brutality.

I like his stories like fair extension though too, I liked needful things a lot. I like his novels/stories that center more on people and less on supernatural.

Edit: we should have a Stephen king thread imo.

My first Stephen king book was the The Long Walk which I liked a lot so that probably informs my tastes in that subset of his books.

He’s my favorite author and really the only fiction I read.

1 Like

I think Needful Things was a peak King experience. Not that it was his best writing or his best story, just that moment in his career. All the shared universe stories leading up to it, then he comes out of rehab and in his very first sober novel he literally blows up the whole fucking town. Just a great moment.

3 Likes