The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

“There’s usually a lot of preparation for that sort of thing and so much consideration that goes into it and she had quite a big monologue before she sets the guy on fire,” Podeswa says. “I went over to Emilia and I was like, ‘I know this is a really big ask, but do you think you could figure out a way to do this in Valyrian?’ She said, ‘Yeah, sure, I think I can do this.’ And I’m all, “Really?” Then she went off and cobbled together things that [Daenerys] had said in the past that made sense. She came back in 10 minutes and had this whole monologue down."

1 Like

Oh wow Ian McNiece. Does he play a bigger role? Or is he only here for those two seconds :sob:

omg this crucifixion scene :eyes:

Lol now there’s a teen Walking Dead? Milk that last drop AMC

1 Like

Destination Wedding had me cackling. It’s like the bastard love child of You’re the Worst meets Before Sunrise.

Spoiler-free (mostly) quotes to express my enthusiasm better than I could:

The reason for this is a rather nifty, if restrictive, gimmick that posits the pair in a variety of situations yet refuses to listen in on anything else happening outside of their interactions. It’s a bit like watching a play with just two characters, an 88-minute chamber piece, the enjoyment of which will depend on one’s tolerance for the duo. Given that they’re both playing bitchy misanthropes judging those around them, it’s also a bit like watching a nastier, sexier Statler and Waldorf let loose at a wedding.

While the backdrop is familiar, the script’s bracing cynicism turns it into a hellscape for our leads, who balk at the extravagance on display. Given that we’re not even given the chance to meet the bride and groom, all we have is acerbic commentary provided by two people who hate them both and most of the other guests while they’re at it.

In a slight film that’s almost wall-to-wall dialogue the pair criticise everything from each other to people who confuse formally with formerly to political correctness to wine bottles with screw tops to those assholes who take a free sample of salami at the supermarket and then drop the toothpick on the floor after. Such a barrage of unending nastiness might not be to everyone’s taste, and at times it can get a bit grating, but if you’ve suffered through enough weddings as a singleton, it might prove to be a rather addictive tonic.

The pair share an easy, spiky chemistry and Reeves in particular shows himself to be surprisingly skilled at delivering such bile-filled dialogue. Given the staginess, Levin tries to force a few scenes of broad physical comedy with little success, although he does mine some laughs from an awkward field-based sex scene (“There’s kelp at or near my vagina,” Ryder complains as Reeves thrusts, bored).

Netflix has a series called Genius of the Modern World. I watched the Marx episode last night and it was pretty good. I’ve read a lot of and about Marx but I actually learned a few things. Would recommend.

The other two episodes are on Nietzsche and Freud. Not sure I’ll make it through the Freud one!

Holy shit, I just realized the noble in that freeze frame (the one who talks to Daenerys) is the same actor who plays Rocky the roadie/best friend in Yesterday. I don’t know why that’s really a “holy shit,” but I loved him in Yesterday - that’s some sweet acting range.

1 Like

Just watched If Anything Happens I Love You.

That short hit me square in the feels. Didn’t even need dialogue to make me cry. Shit I was crying just a few minutes in.

No idea how that doesn’t run away with awards in Academy Awards or any awards show. I guess a cynical person would call it Oscar bait. I call it something that was a bit too intense to watch again.

1 Like

Skipped to s4 of The Crown and am intrigued but surprised I’m not loving it given there are so many individual pieces that keep me coming back, eg Gillian Anderson.

I appreciate critic Dave Chen’s assessment though that it’s an exceptionally well-made show. You can watch any random episode and feel like you experienced a contained story that needs no additional context. Or you can watch an entire season for a serialized arc. Or you can watch the entire show for an epic multi-generational drama.

He suggests checking out s3e3 “Aberfan” as an example. He says someone introduced him to the show with this episode by saying just put it on without any context. Don’t even read the description.

Okay Dave, here we go…

Much appreciated for the review. This looks great but made me hesitate for the reasons you described. I know I’ll be crying as fast as you did :(

Fuck this show. Oh fuck.

I quit this season of the crown, found it incredibly boring.

OK I’m sold, I guess I’m watching this show.

4 Likes

Have you seen the rest of the series? I skipped to s4 but then skipped back to s3e3 after a critic said it’s an episode that can/should be seen like a short film.

“sickenly”? Is this a thing now?

1 Like

LOL it’s a typo. The actual quote:

“a sickeningly irresponsible parade of death and despair."

The show calms way down after the pilot, and that improvement is for the better.

Binged We Are The Champions last night on Netflix, very fun show that manages to show people doing ridiculous things without making fun of the people doing it. The first one is a little cringey because of people doing reckless things but the rest are just fun to watch.

Bombshell is now on Hulu. Goddamn do I love all of these movies and TV shows shitting on Fox.

1 Like