The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

Guess I’ll explain a bit more…

The plot hole is that Cora’s parents tell Ambrose that Phoebe died a month after Cora went missing, but it’s then revealed that she disappeared at the same time as Cora. Leaving aside the wholly unbelievable idea that Cora’s mom just accepted that they ran off to Florida and did nothing, what about all the other people who are expecting to see Phoebe over the next month? Her aunt? Her doctors? If they say she’s dead, don’t they have to produce a body? What about a funeral?

Apparently in the book this is based on, there is the following explanation:

They wrap it up in the book. There it was explained that they couldn’t handle her just disappearing, so her family stole a body and publically claimed it as her sister. The spread the ashes and everything for closure. The gap in the timeline was because she was never reported missing, so it took them that long to get the body and put together the funeral.

No words for how stupid this is. A devout Catholic family stealing a body and doing a fake last rites?

The plot device where a central character can’t remember what happened and they then remember information as required by the plot is pretty cheap to begin with imo, and then in this show we’re told that Cora has PTSD flashbacks where she vividly relives her experience. We see information from her flashbacks relied on as accurate to progress the plot (the stabbing pattern, the water tower, the school bus etc) but then it turns out that in the very central point of the trauma, her sister’s death, a different person is substituted to clumsily conceal the workings of the plot. This, like the misinformation around Phoebe’s disappearance, is just Calvinball where information is accurate where it needs to be for the mystery to operate and inaccurate in a totally unbelievable way where the workings of the mystery need to be concealed from the viewer. It’s basically a deus ex machina, one step above “space aliens did it” as a resolution. If I have to assume that any piece of information I’m given can just be handwaved away on the thinnest of pretexts, then following the mystery at all is just a waste of my time.

I wouldn’t care so much about this if it wasn’t for the fact that the progression of the mystery is the only interesting thing about the show. Pullman has the same expression in every scene, sort of a combination of bemused and genial. The B plot with his wife is excruciatingly boring because he’s so poorly drawn as a character, I don’t give a shit if his marriage works out or not.

Side note: There’s a conversation between Cora and her husband where he tries to convince her that Ambrose is entrapping her and that she can’t trust the police and shit AFTER SHE HAS PLED GUILTY AND IS AWAITING SENTENCING FOR SECOND DEGREE MURDER. What the fuck are you talking about?

1 Like

It’s the first episode of the second season where Ramy’s uncle gives him a gun. Then Ramy’s dad makes the whole family go to his dad’s boss’s house for dinner. Ramy leaves the table to go to the bathroom to jerk off, and puts the gun on a table. His dad’s boss’s senile father comes into the bathroom, holds the gun to Ramy’s head, then holds it to his own head, then puts it in his pocket and leaves. Then it’s never spoken of again.

How could you not remember that lol?

2 Likes

Plebs is a nice fun sitcom about two buds in ancient Rome trying to make it in the big city with minimal connections and one lazy slave. One of them is the charming slave owner guy from game of thrones and he’s great in this, he’s way better than the guy who’s presented as more of the main character, who is like Richard from Silicon Valley but in ancient Rome but it’s good, it’s light comedy

5 bags

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed Plebs. Definitely worth a watch.

Ryan has a bunch of great pitch meeting videos, but he knocked this one out of the park.

Now taking applicants.

Jezebel

During the internet’s infancy, a vulnerable woman follows her sister into the sex industry as a webcam model, but her sudden popularity tests their bond.

4/5
[X] premise
[X] cinematography
[X] score/soundtrack
[X] compelling point of view
[ ] transcendent execution

The Red Sea Diving Resort

International agents and brave Ethiopians use a deserted retreat in Sudan as a front to smuggle thousands of refugees to Israel in the early 1980s.

3/5
[X] premise
[X] cinematography
[X] score/soundtrack
[ ] compelling point of view

Night Comes On

A teen fresh out of juvenile detention tries to rescue her sister from foster care in order to exact revenge on their father for their mother’s murder.

4/5
[X] premise
[X] cinematography
[X] score/soundtrack

The point of view doesn’t need to be likable, but it does need to be compelling. Similarly, just because a point of view is likeable doesn’t mean it’s compelling.

A film has transcendent execution if everyone should watch it and/or is likely to enjoy it regardless of their tastes.

2 Likes

Honeytrap

New to London, a naive and desperate teenager tries to fit in but instead becomes tragically implicated in a merciless world of gang violence.

2.5/5
premise
cinematography
score/soundtrack
compelling point of view
[ /] transcendent execution

There are moments of extraordinary storytelling, but not in a complete way that elevates the movie for more than the target audience.

Based on a true story. Articles below have mega spoilers for those unfamiliar with the tale.

Spoilers and film criticism

Honeytrap review – true-crime, urban-realist melodrama | Honeytrap | The Guardian

'Honey trap' girl faces life sentence for luring smitten teenager to his death at hands of love rival | Daily Mail Online

And an update from 2019:

'Honeytrap killer' who led boyfriend, 16, to death is freed and deported | Metro News

It was #2 on Netflix yesterday and post Taken Liam Neesom is some Nic Cage stuff.

By the way the movie is really dumb.

Also I was doing something that took focus so I put something I didn’t care about paying attention to.

but why

Okay that’s fair

WW84 was weird. Like it was objectively not good, but I also enjoyed watching it. And not “enjoyed the trainwreck,” but was genuinely entertained. At the same, though, nothing really grabbed me and all I could think about afterward were all the problematic things in the movie.

Disappointing, because the first Wonder Woman was legit great.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/rgay/status/1342713904405757953

The Batwoman season 2 premiere is, well, worth the wait. Though it has been eight months since we last saw the citizens of Gotham, the episode seems to pick up fairly soon after the finale, as Alice has yet to move forward with her plan for Tommy Elliot posing as Bruce Wayne and there’s mention of Kate going to National City to chat with Kara about the kryptonite.

Below, we’ve put together a few teases and our spoiler-free review of what’s to come on the Batwoman season 2 premiere, and though I always say this about The CW’s best superhero show, this episode cannot be missed.

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1346185226410717186

https://twitter.com/joshuachenault1/status/1346201277773074435

The greatest Xmas movie of all time now has an unofficial Xmas trailer

https://twitter.com/DieHard/status/1075193170214834176

1 Like

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1341530397147074572

1 Like

Also director of What We Do in the Shadows (and co-star in the former) and Thor: Ragnarok.

2 Likes

We Are the Champions was a gem.

6 half hour docs about random competitions throughout the world. Frog jumping, dog dancing, and chili eating among others.

2 Likes

Saturday Church (Netflix)

A teen struggling with gender identity and family tensions seeks hope and support in NYC’s underground ballroom community.

5/5
[X] premise
[X] cinematography
[X] score/soundtrack
[X] transcendent execution

It’s not the movie’s fault if you don’t like this. Be prepared for spontaneous musicals akin to David Lynch being in a good mood for once.

dayveon (Netflix)

Struggling with his older brother’s death, 13-year-old Dayveon spends the sweltering summer days roaming the streets of his rural Arkansas town. With no parents and few role models, he soon falls in with a local gang. Though his sister’s boyfriend tries to provide stability and comfort as a reluctant father figure, Dayveon becomes increasingly drawn into the camaraderie and violence of his new world.

4.5/5
[X] premise
[X] cinematography
[X] score/soundtrack
[ / ] transcendent execution