The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

Based upon the Justices own opinions in that case? Yes.

I suppose they could change their minds.

https://twitter.com/dcoxpolls/status/1541068259453292545

Brutal! Impact on vote changes, not so much

I do think Thomas would support states with legalized abortion passing laws forbidding other states’ citizens from obtaining an abortion in their state. But that doesn’t seem likely to come up, given those states’ likely general posture and concern for the issue.

By virtue of a person’s citizenship in a particular State, he was guaranteed whatever rights and liberties that State’s constitution and laws made available. Article IV, §2 vested citizens of each State with an additional right: the assurance that they would be afforded the “privileges and immunities” of citizenship in any of the several States in the Union to which they might travel.

What were the “Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States”? That question was answered perhaps most famously by Justice Bushrod Washington sitting as Circuit Justice in Corfield v. Coryell , 6 F. Cas. 546, 551–552 (No. 3,230) (CC ED Pa. 1825). In that case, a Pennsylvania citizen claimed that a New Jersey law prohibiting nonresidents from harvesting oysters from the State’s waters violated Article IV, §2 because it deprived him, as an out-of-state citizen, of a right New Jersey availed to its own citizens. Id. , at 550. Justice Washington rejected that argument, refusing to “accede to the proposition” that Article IV, §2 entitled “citizens of the several states . . . to participate in all the rights which belong exclusively to the citizens of any other particular state.” Id. , at 552 (emphasis added). In his view, Article IV, §2 did not guarantee equal access to all public benefits a State might choose to make available to its citizens. See id., at 552. Instead, it applied only to those rights “which are, in their nature, fundamental ; which belong, of right, to the citizens of all free governments.” Id. , at 551 (emphasis added). Other courts generally agreed with this principle. See, e.g. , Abbott v. Bayley , 23 Mass. 89, 92–93 (1827) (noting that the “privileges and immunities” of citizens in the several States protected by Article IV, §2 are “qualified and not absolute” because they do not grant a traveling citizen the right of “suffrage or of eligibility to office” in the State to which he travels).

LOL you don’t think that Republicans will push hard for a nationwide abortion ban the next time they get a trifecta?

If anyone doesn’t think there isn’t the very real possibility of a nationwide ban on abortion 3 years from now, I don’t know what to tell you.

2 Likes

The “yea but they won’t go that far” crowd should really shut their mouths now

16 Likes

“Brutal impact” is on poor women, not any Republican anywhere.

These journalists need to put this shit in context. 60% being against something means nothing when 35% have all the power.

1 Like

Those aren’t even bad numbers, gop probably high fiving on those numbers

1 Like

Can you imagine believing this shit in 2022?

You’re aware there is a nationwide ban on marijuana, right? I don’t want to tell you if you think this will have any material effect on the states that want abortion to remain legal. They will simply pass laws that contradict the federal law and health/crime (if termed by feds that way) is clearly something even Thomas thinks should be left to the states.

ETA: the post chain you quoted indicated “abortion would be stamped out in every state”. That’s trivially false even in the most dystopian of outlooks. Federal law doesn’t really mean much here. Hence, Kabuki.

Even in your fantasy land, what do you think happens when trump or whatever other deranged R controls the federal government in 2025? They’re going to feed some blue states to their base. It’s going to be all about revenge and punishment.

Really enjoying the brand new poster who just happens to be contrarian on every single topic.

11 Likes

I’ll leave. Not welcome here.

5 Likes

Kids are all right.

https://twitter.com/pplscitycouncil/status/1540906505829879810?s=21&t=I_Dp7l9TGBLHVEIkGpZjkA

6 Likes

People who are against abortion don’t actually think it should be left up to the states because they think it’s murder. “Leave it up to the states” is just the stupid justification right wing reactionaries use so that normal people won’t be alarmed that what they actually support is imposing their crazy, paranoid world view on everyone. Only suckers believed right wing reactionaries think “state’s rights” is some principled belief.

11 Likes

Also a bunch of people perceive brutal impacts on women as being positive feature of the policy/law.

I don’t have a problem with you, but if you’re going to come in here and start claiming that the GOP/Judiciary won’t do things because reasons, you’re going to get A LOT of pushback on those hypotheses.

1 Like

Supposedly Schumer is going to run again and then retire during the next term so a handpicked successor (some relative/nephew maybe? Can’t remember details) can be appointed to the seat.

Yea for abortion it’s states rights up until no actually we can’t allow murder anywhere guys, I mean for fucks sake I think it was mentioned in the ruling that this is because it pertains to possibility for life or some bullshit

It’s really just one dude but otherwise agree.