The Raid (on Rebekah Jones's home)

I missed it until now but Charles Cooke, the author of that NRO piece, made a response of sorts to her “rebuttal” of the piece, which contains a couple amusing details.

In a now-deleted tweet, Jones wrote: “Deleting deaths was never something I was asked to do. I’ve never claimed it was.”

Here is an also-deleted tweet from Jones:

Oops. Also in the rebuttal, Rebekah posted a snippet of code that shows she did not even have read access to the main database, but relied on an Excel export in a share drive:

This is something I’ve been meaning to post for a while - the idea that Rebekah would be the focal point of a COVID coverup doesn’t even make sense. She was responsible for the dashboard which displayed data to the public, but that data is also available and reported on in many other ways. You would have to mess with the data at a much more basic level to “fudge the numbers”. Rebekah apparently didn’t even have read access to the underlying database, let alone write access.

2 Likes

Pretty balanced and nuanced article IMO.

She ain’t no saint, but Desantis et al pretty shady.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article251838913.html

1 Like

This piece is OK but they are still way too gun-shy on explicitly pointing out when Rebekah is bullshitting them and their audience. For example:

“When I think of ‘warning shot’ I think it means ‘don’t trust the data in any capacity’ but it wasn’t that,” Jones explained. She said she had concerns about some data definitions that limited the scope of what was being measured and didn’t condone deleting or hiding published data. But mostly, she said, “They made policy decisions that were completely departed from all of the data.”

But “they made policy decisions that departed from that data” is not what Rebekah has been alleging for months, there’s a tweet from her like two posts up where she says Roberson told her to “delete cases and deaths”, she has been nonstop alleging that she was told to “delete data” and “fudge numbers”. “Don’t trust the data in any capacity” is a completely fair summary of Rebekah’s output for the last year, it’s ludicrous for her to now try to pretend that’s a media misread of what she was saying.

The most coherent accusation of shady behaviour is when Rebekah alleges that they created a “readiness map” scoring counties based on White House guidelines and that the idea was scrapped after it showed that few counties were ready to open. Or at least I think that’s what happened, because I don’t understand what this bolded sentence means:

The health metrics tab eventually launched on the dashboard later that week bore little resemblance to the initial idea put forth by Blackmore. Instead of scoring readiness, the page simply provided charts made with limited weekly surveillance data provided to Jones that the fine print attributed to the White House criteria.

Huh? But anyway, let’s assume Rebekah’s allegations here are accurate. The White House reopening guidelines were just that, guidelines. Plenty of states were openly disregarding them:

For example, in Missouri, gyms, restaurants, bars, retail stores, hairdressers and theatres reopened with limited capacity on 4 May. This was despite the state’s daily coronavirus cases and share of positive tests rising over the previous two weeks.

Kansas also reopened restaurants and retail stores on 4 May without seeing a two-week fall in either daily cases or in the proportion of positive tests.

The DeSantis administration evidently would have liked, for political reasons, to spin their data in a way that showed them in lockstep with the Trump Administration guidelines in an election year. (Again, I’m assuming Rebekah’s allegations here are correct). When they found they couldn’t do that, they didn’t “fudge numbers” or “delete data”, they decided to de-emphasise the federal guidelines. They’re not trying to evade a legal requirement there, it’s a question of political spin.

Consider the position Roberson was in here. She alludes to this a little in her sworn statement:

In response to Jones’ allegations in the complaint that misleading data, or perhaps no data at all, were being used to justify the governor’s desired policy, Roberson responded in a sworn statement: “The Florida Department of Health does not have the authority to reopen or close counties,” and reiterated her position that it wasn’t the health department’s job to make recommendations to the governor on reopening either.

It’s hardly the place of a state health department to insist on putting up infographics about conflict between state and federal policy against the wishes of the administration. DeSantis would justifiably consider that to be political campaigning against his administration from within the civil service. The civil service exist to implement the policy of the democratically elected government.

Obviously it’s fair to argue that DeSantis here was making “policy decisions that were completely departed from all of the data”, as Rebekah put it earlier. I agree with that. I doubt anyone in the thread disagrees with that. It’s just that no matter how hard you squint, that just isn’t what Rebekah has been alleging for the past year.

Oh no, she’s being persecuted again. (Edit: Won’t do the link preview thing, so…)

Article

Also, NRO are now on the grift themselves.

One day, for the first time in National Review’s long history, we will be a profitable enterprise. We are certainly working at it.

No you won’t.

I mean I was joking when I suggested that people would interpret this as her being persecuted yet again but…

https://twitter.com/grantstern/status/1401944871015833602

Yeah man, it could be that, or it could be this.

https://twitter.com/KassandraSeven/status/1398134723206168579

why would someone with 400k followers buy a measly 20k???

Who knows. I suppose it’s conceivable that someone else bought the followers in an effort to have her banned, I doubt it would be possible for Twitter Support to know who bought them. It’s hardly out of character for her to do something like this though.

Rebekah posted this on her instagram with the caption “whoops”:

So presumably she has been spamming, like she didn’t post “wtf why am I banned”.

Ms. Jones has announced she intends to run for Matt Gaetz congressional seat.

Well this should interesting. As in train wreck.

Was her Twitter offense more than serially posting the Miami Herald article?

Rebekah almost immediately played down the comment in another Instagram post, she’s not actually going to run.

She wouldn’t get banned for just posting the same thing several times, I would guess that she was mass DMing it to people, but who knows. I doubt Twitter are going to give us the story and I’m not going to believe anything Rebekah says so we may never know.

You guys will never guess why Rebekah was buying followers and spamming the Miami Herald story at people. OK, I lied, you’ll guess immediately. She’s back on that grift with a brand new GoFundMe!

This one doesn’t even bother with a pretext for asking for money, it’s just a link to the Miami Herald story plus this text:

The truth sets us free, they say. But for whistleblowers, the truth can often imprison us.

This nonsense was apparently all the inducement people needed to ship her another 300K and counting. She has now raised in the neighbourhood of 800K from these GoFundMes.

In other Rebekah news, she apparently really is running for Matt Gaetz’s seat, or at least she has launched a campaign website. I wholeheartedly support her candidacy, mostly because I think it would be very funny if she won, but also because I think she’s what the voting public of Florida deserve.

Finally, National Review have another piece on Jones in which a Florida grad student alleges he was falsely accused of sexual harassment by Jones. The piece is hard to excerpt, but basically it seems that this guy pissed Jones off by questioning her methodology and this was the upshot:

Jones jumped into the viral twitter thread, not to argue about Taylor’s methodology, but to accuse him and his academic adviser of sexual harassment, thereby stifling the original tweet, which was putting his tracker on the map.

Not only did Jones smear Taylor and his adviser as sexual harassers to her hundreds of thousands of followers, she also tagged their university, the university president, and university police.

Jones deleted the tweets, but Taylor preserved them as screenshots on the advice of a prominent academic who had previously been subjected to a characteristic Jones smear campaign. Jones makes a habit of deleting past tweets before arguing that she had never sent them in the first place, the academic told Taylor. Reached for comment, Jones also denied defaming Taylor and his adviser.

Not content to publicly tarnish the reputation of Taylor and his academic adviser, Jones took direct action to ruin their careers. Jones followed up her tweet storm by sending a series of emails to the dean of the FAU College of Business reporting Taylor and his adviser for sexual harassment.

The dean of the business school, Daniel Gropper, then escalated the complaint to the vice president of the university and the chief of the FAU police department, who asked Jones to substantiate her claims. Jones never did.

Jones’ allegations include that Taylor “made jokes about putting his penis in my mouth to make me shut up”; obviously, there is no substantiation of this whatsoever.

Do we know when she bought them in relation to when she accumulated her other followers? Could be she bought them early on to boost her profile, then gained a bunch more later once she had that artificial boost. Iirc that’s exactly what they did in that HBO documentary about creating influencers.

Hello, you are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the Rebekah Jones newsletter. (I find her story kind of oddly fascinating, like true crime). This is an LC post, but I was amused by this bit of a report about her campaign launch.

COVID was the dominant topic between Jones and her guests, but she also talked about statewide issues, such as climate change and voters’ rights.

“Why are we allowing states to individually decide who can vote for president?” she said sitting across from Jamil Davis, lead organizer for Black Voters Matter.

Um, I’m not American, but I think I can have a crack at this one. Is it “because that’s what the Constitution says the Federal Government has to do”?

Really need some context on the quote. Yes, states handle their own election systems and whatnot, but that’s been used historically here to disenfranchise minorities. It’s also being used again, right now, since our Supreme Court declared racism Dead and gutted the Voting Rights Act and, in turn, opened the door for all the recent new state laws targeting voting rights.

So it’s really a very good question tbh. Racist rednecks in Southern shitholes should not be controlling the vote, because it can (will) result in minority disenfranchisement.

2 Likes

A claim by data expert Rebekah Jones that her bosses at the Florida Department of Health intentionally falsified COVID case data as Gov. Ron DeSantis was attempting to reopen the state is unfounded, according to an internal inspector general’s report conducted by her former agency.

“Based upon an analysis of the available evidence, the alleged conduct, as described by the complainant, did not occur,” the report said, referring to that allegation in Jones’ whistleblower complaint.

Two other allegations by Jones, that directives were issued by higher-ups to falsify COVID-19 positivity rates, were deemed “unsubstantiated” because “based upon an analysis of the available evidence, there is insufficient evidence to clearly prove or disprove the alleged conduct.”

The report, released this week, does acknowledge that the evidence supports Jones’ separate claim that two of the agency’s top doctors ordered Jones and others to restrict public access to COVID case data after the Miami Herald asked a question about it. However, the report indicates the data was later restored after concerns about exposing private information were allayed.

The report also found that Jones’ dismissal was not in retaliation for her accusations.

Separately, a report by Florida’s Auditor-General found that data was frequently inaccurate, contact tracing not done properly, etc, but this was due to understaffing and incompetence and doesn’t substantiate any of Jones’ accusations of conspiracy.

1 Like

(Just an attempt at humor, zero desire to revive this topic)

Heh yeah I think now that Florida Dept of Health has thoroughly and rigorously investigated itself and found itself innocent of any wrongdoing we can probably go and and lock this puppy down

5 Likes

I mean maybe I’m wrong about this but I’m pretty sure if I pointed an infallible lie detector at all of you and asked if you currently thought Jones was a credible person or that her allegations were true and you answered yes to either question, that shit would go off like a Spanish soccer announcer when they score a goal.

4 Likes

You’re probably right in this case, my friend. It’s just that for me personally, having lived in Florida for over 20 years, “jaded” does not even begin to describe my feelings when it comes to Florida politics in general, and this current administration in particular. Desantis is very much a smarter version of Trump and even more corrupt if that is even possible, so I view pretty much everything that comes from his administration with a suspicious eye, even so-called “independent investigations.”

Like, the Florida Department of Health is headed by the confirmed quack anti-vaxxer doctor Desantis appointed. Hell it wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn that the inspector general who just cleared the department of all wrongdoing was also hand picked by Ron Ron (I have no idea and really don’t even care at this point).

Ffs I’m still reeling over the fact that our state Supreme Court, half of which was (you guessed it) appointed by Ron Ron, recently let stand blatantly-unconstitutional gerrymandered congressional maps that a lower court had struck down which were hand-drawn by Ron Ron himself…maps which obliterated black voting power in north Florida. At some point you just stop caring and give up and start looking for the exits.

3 Likes

Dunno about that