The Presidency of the Joes, part II: lol documents

Murder specifically is up pretty significantly in the past couple of years. I found this long article from a couple of months ago about why this might be, and also why crime statistics can be so hard to analyze.

When I left New York City in 1992, the murder rate there plummeted. Probably just a coincidence though.

6 Likes

30 Likes

love the guys outfit for meeting the president.

https://twitter.com/opinonhaver/status/1578103759321804800?s=20&t=CbJoWoBsabHGVWtUsTotDg

21 Likes

:coolbiden:

Can someone give me the origin of the term ‘Dark Brandon’? It is one of those things I just started seeing all the time without really knowing how/when it started. Who said/wrote it first?

No one is entirely sure how “Dark Brandon” began.

Some sources claim Dark Brandon began as an ironic far-right meme made by extreme conservatives who dislike Biden, molding him in their own aesthetic. Others claim it was the creation of “snarky leftists” repurposing the Dark MAGA memes in order to ironically express their own disdain for Biden. And others claim that it was the creation of leftists attempting to ironically mock Trump and his supporters by making their own version of the right’s hypermasculine memes. (One rumor that the entire meme was the work of Chinese propagandists briefly flourished thanks to Yang Quan, an artist on Chinese social app Weibo who drew propaganda art depicting Biden as the Game of Thrones -esque ruler of a horde of undead zombies. Decontextualized, the artwork became popular and joined the ranks of the Dark Biden memes. No other evidence of Chinese propaganda influencing the memes has surfaced.)

1 Like

Dark Brandon is a very post-postmoden meme such that it’s often hard for Gen-Xers like me to be sure what level of snark it’s operating on. Gen Z kids are able to ironically use memes that are themselves ironic.

1 Like

It’s operating on multiple levels of snark simultaneously.

3 Likes

It’s hard for me to process anything snarkier than MST3k.

1 Like

in gen z meme culture there’s multiple levels I find -

• the meme itself, which almost never should be taken at face value
  • people who use the meme for parody
  • people who use the meme to mock the people using it for parody

makes it confusing to figure out what level anyone’s on so I usually go all in on it

3 Likes

I think the correct course for the Dark Brandon meme to take is for someone to make a Dark Brandon movie with no comedic dialogue, maybe no dialogue at all, where Dark Brandon kills very obvious caricatures of prominent Republicans/conservatives.

What if I told you conservative basically already did this?

1 Like

am i crazy i wanna watch this

1 Like

I’d say you’re demonstrating your inability to think on multiple levels of snark.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/RepJackKimble/status/1578141187781054464

27 Likes
3 Likes

the job market for bassists has never been hotter. time to cool it off. thumbs up to dank brandon.

1 Like