The Presidency of the Joes, part II: lol documents

I think the problem is really one of too many choices. As you can tell, I too have thought about. The Melk escape plan involves one country until kids are out of high school and possibly a different country after that.

My wife brings this up too, but I don’t get it. Living abroad is definitely massively enriching as a life experience for kids. It gives them perspective they would never get from living here. I don’t see how it could possibly be a negative.

Which were the good years to live in America?

I don’t see how it gets bad fast in a way that impacts the ability to get out. Like democracy could be functionally over in the US (assuming it isn’t already) and the dollar will still be the reserve currency, there will still be people queueing up for green cards, etc. The only thing is that there could be a rush for the exits, but I think the days of actual danger to life, liberty or property are still quite some distance off.

2 Likes

Yeah, most people have enough that moving elsewhere would be too much of a short-term (and maybe long-term) sacrifice. Those that don’t have enough don’t have the means to afford the move and so far American asylum seekers aren’t a thing.

But I’m surprised there aren’t any Canadian politicians trying to build a wall on the border yet. The day that Americans try to illegally emigrate to Canada is coming.

1 Like

I bet some already have.

I know two people living here illegally right now.

You know if America really wanted to resolve their illegal immigration problem they could build a bridge from El Paso into Canada.

No more illegal immigrants.

Can you expound on this? We have been looking and finding a country that is actually receptive to Americans moving there for no reason is smaller than I would have expected.

We both have jobs (that we would likely have to give up) and our savings isn’t huge, so we can’t buy our way in. Every time I look for a job internationally I get interest until they find out I would need a visa sponsor. Is there a good spot online that advertises overseas companies specifically looking for Americans?

I think there’s a whole thread on this.

1 Like

There are basically two tracks here:

1. Continue working. This probably (but not definitely) requires living in an expensive first world country. Options I’ve explored include the UK, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Singapore and Japan. The plus side is you can probably find good schools for your kids, the down sides are the cost of living and difficulty gaining admission.

2. Quit working and move to a low cost country like Costa Rica or Mexico or whatever. This makes the kid part way harder but the upsides are cost of living and, well, not working. Safety can be a valid concern in some of these places.

1 Like

For a white guy, most of them.

1 Like

With meager savings, I don’t see how 2 is possible

I worked for a big online poker affiliate before the UIGEA (I still do, to an extent, but in content, not specifically in the affiliate business). It was based in the US, but they decided to move to Costa Rica just to be sure they weren’t violating any US laws. It was just three people running the company and they invited my wife and I to go with them.

They bought a four-house compound. It was gated and had an armed guard 24/7. Private chef, too, so that was nice. My wife and I decided against for two main reasons, besides the simple USA#1: 1) We had just bought a house, and 2) our first kid was on the way and we didn’t want to raise her in Central America.

Financially, it was a terrible decision. I’d probably be rich or close to it right now. But after he sold the company and moved back to the States, the founder of the company told me that I would’ve hated living there, so aside from money, it was a good decision.

It was a fun place to visit the one time we went, though.

1 Like

Another option could be taking a job with a multinational corporation with the intention of transferring internationally at some point. That’s an option at my firm, though I’m guessing it’s much easier here than in a lot of companies.

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1532399481815187457?t=W04Sboazjjj73h69vnBy3w&s=19

Fucking with my jeopardy. Not good!

1 Like

Since illegal immigration is good for America, I wouldn’t call it a problem.

You can get a long-term visa in the Czech Republic and then apply for a trade license (called a zivno) which would make you a freelance worker. The process is pretty long and confusing. So a lot of people hire a company to help them with the process.

Unless he’s gonna call out Manchin and Sinema on the filibuster grandpa can save the oxygen

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1532472725586993167?s=20&t=BBSeM4iqLEVHaYbiKSDcQw

another bailout for the elites

2 Likes

Grandpa just assured viewers that “this is not about vilifying gum (sic) owners”.

He’s out there trying to ban double bubble. Back in his day, jack, nobody was stickin gum under the desks. It’s outta control now fellas.