The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

How many children has Biden placed with families stateside? Zero right?

I don’t think the left posters here will be satisfied until capitalism is completely disassembled. But the shitlibs are the ones not living in reality.

Do you think he is not making a good faith effort and that’s his plan? Or are these concentration camps not really concentration camps?

He has no plan to permanently end the camps. We all called pretty much the exact same conditions concentration camps under Trump.

He is making some progress sure. But the underlying problem is caging large numbers of people and there is no intention to stop that.

1 Like

I never believed they would nuke the filibuster. I thought anyone hanging their hopes on Democrats doing so was being unrealistic and that it was important to plan a path that didn’t involve that.

What Biden has done is shown a willingness to go big on the COVID bill. That is a contrast to past Democratic regimes, which have been timid and more favorable towards the politics of austerity. That’s a shift in Democratic thinking. They could be bigger still, but it’s a step in the right direction. However, I expect Democrats to revert if this doesn’t lead to 2022 electoral success, so making the Democratic Party more progressive requires selling what Democrats have accomplished so far as a good thing.

5 Likes

Melissa Adamson : "The majority of children in federal immigration custody, that is in these ORR licensed shelters that are waiting to be released to sponsors. The majority of them have family members here in the United States that they could be released to. And so a big part of the government’s legal obligation to these children is to make continuous efforts at trying to identify a sponsor for a child, to reach out to them, to walk them through the application process, to vet that sponsor and then to approve the release of the child to that person.

"And that process is a legal obligation by the government. And that’s kind of what is serving as a bottleneck to the system right now, in a certain sense, that this processing takes some time. And we think the Biden administration is making a lot of good moves to try to speed up that processing so that children can still be released, but much faster and in a safe way.

"To your point about sponsors unwillingness to come forward due to fear, a large part of that is, you know, in 2018, the Trump administration implemented a memorandum of understanding between the Department of Homeland Security and Health and Human Services. And what that did was it shared information between those two agencies. And so sponsors knew that if they came forward to take a child out of custody, their information would be shared with homeland security.

“And as a result, we know that at least 170 sponsors that came forward to take care of a child were deported or detained solely because the government had their information. Now, the Biden administration just a couple of days ago rescinded that memorandum. And so they’re no longer doing that information-sharing that had a chilling effect on sponsors’ willingness to come forward. And that’s great. But that’s going to take some time for that message to permeate the communities that could potentially take care of these children.”

3 Likes

I pretty much agree with the whole post. I do think at least publically we need to be trying to sell the Covid bill and whatever else as progress. The Covid bill was really good. It could have been better but I think doing things to help real living breathing people is always good and it largely did that.

I am certainly not ripping Dems IRL because the only path forward to anything runs through the Dem party. It’s why I would never advocate voting 3rd party and voted for Clinton and Biden happily even though I did not have high hopes.

1 Like

I believe that one is not “released” from a concentration camp. Or certainly there no plan to safely and humanely release someone from a concentration camp: a forced labor camp where death is a sweet escape.

That is an important distinction that you are eliding. I believe you are aware of it, and are being disingenuous to dunk on Biden.

Wake me up once they start releasing them to family. Until then it is all talk. Why you feel the need to continually defend what has happened so far is bizarre but have at it.

You’re lying about the parties’ intent; that’s why I feel the need to correct the record.

You’re also ignorant (or lying) about the legitimate barriers to swiftly achieving the goals of safely placing children. And how Biden is actively eradicating them.

Call them what you want, they are evil. Defending them is evil.

I’m going to pass on having a debate with you on whether they should be called concentration camps or child abuse camps or child torture camps or happy friendly Biden day care camps. The name assigned to them doesn’t matter and the fact you are wanting to focus on what we call them rather than what they are is truly sick.

1 Like

Oh, ffs everyone the shitprog/progiturd was clearly tongue in cheek because people like Victoar like to call some of us more centrist posters shitlibs.

Well ok then. That combined with Basic trolling Micro on immigration did not make that clear.

Influx facilities are meant to be temporary and are not subject to the same licensing as permanent shelters. The news about Carrizo Springs prompted criticism of the administration returning to “kids in cages”, from prominent figures on the left and right. But many advocates have said despite their serious concerns these shelters are preferable to the alternative available today: keeping children at a border patrol facility while sponsors are vetted.

I don’t know why Micro and Witchita think it’s fine to simply allow unaccompanied minors to just wander the streets of a foreign country.

Also, LOL at an international border being an “imaginary line.”

1 Like

Please. There is a huge difference between operating camps where you are intentionally trying to separate families and keep kids in detention there for as long as possible to discourage immigration versus operating them as temporary shelters while your administration tries to place and vet. Also, if these facilities are still opearated in this manner in a year, then I will absolutely jump on the WTF bandwagon. Biden has been in power for 2 months.

4 Likes

Yeah there’s this perception among leftists on this board that because Trump totally ignored the law that’s an option now. It isn’t. It just isn’t. That’s near the top of the list of what we were voting against in November.

2 Likes

I don’t know why you think caging them in bad conditions with ICE goons is preferable to just letting them continue on their journey. Did it suddenly get more dangerous when they crossed the border? Why aren’t we trying to help them before they get here?

I don’t advocate voting third party, but I do advocate for letting people vote their conscience.

That being said, it seems clear that the path towards defeating the Democratic establishment lies with winning an internal party struggle and not through destroying the party from the outside so that a new, more progressive party can emerge in its place. Vote for a third party if you think that someone like Joe Biden is evil and that voting for someone like him makes you morally complicit in his evil, but you’re wrong if you think that voting for a third party will hasten a progressive revolution.

There comes a point when it becomes counter-productive to argue against someone who is trying to vote their conscience. (And I do think Manchin and Sinema are likely to be voting their conscience on the filibuster and not engaging in Machiavellian politics to enhance their personal power.)

1 Like

And lots of people here think there is a better alternative than both of these and that Biden should be fighting for that.

3 Likes