The Presidency of Donald J. Trump v5.0: ORANGE Gettin' PEACHed, Nation Goes PEANUT BUTTER & BANANAS

Pretty sure none of those disqualifies a person any more.

Donald J. Trump has a knack for making even the most mundane things full on crimes.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1194347919975108608

https://mobile.twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1194331235407007744

Gotta get that book deal… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I disagree completely. Anyone else would have exonerated him, and would also have just done a sham investigation. Mueller was the best case scenario. Everything else would have been a disaster. He still provided a very clear roadmap to impeachment. It’s not his fault Nancy was into too much self-preservation/serving to do anything about it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1194343169585901570

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1194343616128282625

1 Like

If I told you in 2008 that in 2019 the fate of this country might rest on John Roberts and John Bolton doing the right thing, what what you have said?

Turns out Dems and Repubes are using the same playbook. Defy subpoenas, get charged with defying subpoenas, flip a coin, gg

So I cleaned up this transcript of this old NYT article on Nixon’s impeachment charges so I could share it, and I hate how angry and jaded the whole thing makes me about Trump. For the most part, you could write the same article word-for-word about Trump and no one would know the difference.

WASHINGTON, July 30—The House Judiciary Committee rejected tonight an article of impeachment that proposed to remove President Nixon from office for tax fraud and for accepting improvements to his private property at Government expense.

The vote was 26 to 12. The article was rejected after a debate designed by the committee’s leaders to reach, the prime‐time television audience.

Earlier, by a vote of 26 to 12, the panel defeated a proposed article charging the President with having usurped; the powers of Congress by concealing the United States” bombing of Cambodia from 1969 until it was disclosed news reports last year.

Republicans voted solidly against both proposals, and they were joined by a number of Democratic members of the committee.

Two charges were made in the article dealing with the President’s financial irregulars‐ties.
The first was that the Federal Government spent money at the President’s homes in California and Florida and paid for travel by the President’s family that did not relate to Mr. Nixon’s official functions.

CONGRESSIONAL POWER
The Constitution gives Congress the power to set the President’s salary and states that the President “shall not receive any other emolument from the United States.”
The second charge was that Mr. Nixon had “knowingly and fraudulently’ failed to pay his proper income taxes.

The Internal Revenue Service has ruled that the President underpaid his taxes during his first four years in office by more than $400,000.

The debate on the President’s tax returns brought a disclosure, that one of the Watergate grand juries has begun to hear witnesses on the possibility that fraud was committed in the preparation of the tax returns.

Representative Jack Brooks, Democrat of Texas, who regards Mr. Nixon’s $400,000 underpayment of his takes as an impeachable offense, said that Arthur Blech, the President’s accountant, was ‘called to testify before a grand jury last Thursday and Friday.’

In addition, Mr. Brooks, said, subpoenas for some of Mr. Nixon’s financial records will be issued by the grand jury, soon, possibly tomorrow.

Representative Edward Mezvinsky of Iowa, the committee’s junior Democrat, was the principal proponent of the article. The President, Mr. Mezvinsky argued, “took advantage of the Presidency to avoid paying proper taxes.”

It was a “serious threat to our tax system,” Mr. Mezvinsky contended, because “we expect the law to be applied equally to every taxpayer.’

Opponents of the article, led by Representative Charles E. Wiggins, a California Republican, argued that no tax fraud could be proved. In their view, the President may have received bad advice from his lawyers and accountants but cannot be held personally responsible.

But Representative George E. Danielson, Democrat of California, disputed that content.
Referring to the President’s deduction of $576,000 for the gift of his pre‐Presidential papers to the National Archives, a deduction that the I.R.S. disallowed—Mr. Danielson asked, “Can you imagine anyone claiming a deduction of more than half his net worth without giving some consideration to it?”

BOMBING ARTICLE
The article proposing to impeach the President for having concealed the bombing of Cambodia was offered by Representative John Conyers Jr., R. Michigan Democrat.

Mr. Nixon, the article stated, had “authorized, ordered, and ratified the concealment from Congress of the facts and the submission to the Congress of false and misleading statements concerning the existence, scope and nature of the American bombing operations in Cambodia in derogation of the power of the Congress to declare war, to make appropriations and to raise and support armies.”
Mr. Conyers argued that the President’s desire to hide the facts of the war in Southeast Asia “underlies all of the acts that have been debated thus far.”

President Nixon has acknowledged that he concealed facts about the bombing from the public and from most members of Congress. He has justified it as having been necessary for national security reasons.

No one argued today that the President had not committed the actions specified in Mr. Conyers’s proposed impeachment article.

But all the members who had supported the President’s war policy, and even some of those who opposed it, voted against the proposal.

3 Likes

Stop gaslighting me & post you’re BB?

Iran has definitely hacked the GOP?

Hilary has caught JR in her pizza shop?

2 Likes

Thank you! Working hard!

2 Likes

1 Like

Forget what podcast I heard it on (maybe Slow Burn), but one of the reasons Nixon taped his convos in the WH was b/c LBJ told him that donating the tapes to the archives or his presidential library would make a great tax deduction…

1 Like

Wikipedia tells me that Kennedy also recorded a bunch of convos during the Cuban missile crisis and never told anyone

1 Like

Serious question: would the GOP have allowed a Dem to be the special counsel to investigate President Clinton?

If only someone had been telling you this was the case the entire time.

3 Likes

FYP

1 Like

Fuck off with this gaslighting.

Gaslighting people by accusing them of gaslighting. A bold move, let’s see how this plays out.

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1194325719091953664

Are you really surprised that a website whose first spokesperson was Donald J Trump would be inconsistent?

What you’re saying is not landing, I’m not saying they’re not trying to put it out. Nothing is landing for the GOP, nothing. But it’s good at getting your blood pressure to rise.