The Presidency of Donald J. Trump v5.0: ORANGE Gettin' PEACHed, Nation Goes PEANUT BUTTER & BANANAS

It’d be like the opposite of The Apprentice. No one wants to win. The goal is to be the first one blocked.

I don’t think he is… at least from the interview he did on The Daily Show. He could’ve been full of shit but he came across reasonably.

At the Mueller hearing he danced really close to the QAnon line that everyone else was doing (the whole dumb Mifsud line), but he appeared to not be feeling it and moved into more substantive matters without saying anything overt. He provided the biggest moment of that hearing, albeit probably unintentionally.

Yes, Millett, Pillard, and Wilkins, the panel assigned to the case, are all Obama appointees. https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/home.nsf/Content/Judges

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1189310701686415361

How long until you think it gets to SC, because he’s for sure losing this?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the DC Cir. issues some form of opinion by mid-November. It’s even possible they affirm from the bench with opinion to follow. Then the DOJ would need to request an emergency stay from the Supreme Court. I believe that would require 5 votes. (“The Supreme Court has its own set of rules. According to these rules, four of the nine Justices must vote to accept a case. Five of the nine Justices must vote in order to grant a stay, e.g., a stay of execution in a death penalty case.”)

So, it’s not unlikely that the DC Cir. affirms the district court around mid-Nov. Then, then the DOJ seeks a stay in the SCt, which will likely reject the application for a stay within a week. So it’s probably over by Thanksgiving.

But, if the SCt does grant a stay, no way briefing is done and a decision issued until Mid-Feb or early March. That’s likely past the date for an impeachment trial in the Senate, and it would make things weird.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1189334285167353857

1 Like

Is there any mechanism that it can be “fast tracked”? I know the SC has a lot of important cases, but this one seems like it would be way more important than others.

https://twitter.com/donie/status/1189325817354096642?s=19

Mid-Feb is super fast tracked.

I mean it’s theoretically possible that it could be mid-Jan, but I doubt it. You need the DC Cir opinion, then I think a normal SCt briefing schedule is like 3 months for opening brief, opposition brief, and reply. And the justices don’t write and issue opinions, concurrences, and dissents in less than six weeks. Six-nine months is more common. I’m not a SCt expert, but four weeks after briefing would likely be a record for a substantive decision (as opposed to say, a two line decision that the appeal was improvidently granted and is dismissed.)

So heres my amateur lawbruh analysis of the whistleblower statement. Bolton is nearly a lock to get to testify in this, which is surely good news for all who like justice in the world. While he is a contemptible piece of shit and enemy people everywhere, the most relatable analogy I can manage is something like this… remember that time your drunk uncle tried to ride an alligator and it bit one of his nuts off? That’s what’s about to happen to Trump.

Also I’m probably the most anti-L&O poster on this forum (Microbet is a saint and anyone who tells you otherwise has lost it). I’ll be the first to tell you not everyone in the CIA is a bad person. Mostly the people (voters and especially the middle class) should hate themselves and the moral relativism that they have imposed on the rest of the population for the last 50 years. Nothing good has happened in our society for this entire time that was not the product of inevitable technological progress. Like crabs in a boiling pot, the middle class has stood on top of the others and now finds themselves being cooked to death by the victor. Winning is easy enough but as long as you don’t believe there is a better way we are all sure to suffer together.

3 Likes

I was afraid you would say that.

Could an individual justice significantly slow down or speed up the timeline based on how fast he/she wants a ruling out there?

Like if Thomas and Kavanaugh don’t want a ruling on this until December 2020, could they drag their feet that much?

David Roth nails it, again.

4 Likes

What are the odds SC won’t hear it? Zero?

Guys, I’m gonna put in a big, fat chaw and watch the World Series as you all chat so enjoyably.

2 Likes

They can just say they aren’t done with their opinion or whatever or need more time to think about it. Impeachment will move ahead anyway. The grand jury materials would be nice to have, but they aren’t even a major part of the impeachment.

2 Likes

If the DC Cir affirms the district court and the House has voted to proceed with impeachment, I think it’s under 35% the SCt takes the case. An impeachment proceeding is a quasi-judicial inquiry for which it’s not inappropriate to consider confidential grand jury materials.

1 Like

Closer to 100% than 0% IMO. To be clear I mean it’s closer to 100% that they don’t take the case.

Nah I don’t think the SC will touch this with a 10 foot pole. If it was a bullshit impeachment, I would agree. But this is quid pro quo for foreign aid.

Okay, I’m hanging my hat on the fact that the Trump side of this was so effing dumb, that the original decision was so good from the parts that I saw that there’s at least a decent chance the SC won’t hear it. Fingers crossed.

If they affirm, how many days does the SC go on a fast track to decide whether to hear (is it the same as the roughly a week for the stay)?

Am I correct that not giving a stay at SC essentially ends the case anyway, because the info will be out?