The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: Old man yells at cloud, presidential edition.

https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/1315121191791726592

2 Likes

oh so she’s dumb enough to not realize that there’s a clock with a dead battery behind her in like all of her interviews?

3 Likes

I love it when powerful people discuss things when it’s too fkn late. Just go ahead and write your fucking book.

1 Like

I often supervise dewy-eyed undergraduates from local colleges and at first they always send me emails saying “Dear Dr. McTrollson” because they are super-polite Midwesterners and I always have to intercept them right there and say “lol, no one ever calls me ‘Dr.’ --just call me Trolly, we all go by first names here.” It’s weird and honestly frightening to imagine a situation where I expect people to address me as “Dr. McTrollson” like I’m some kind of landed nobleman just because I was privileged enough to have the opportunity to pursue a secondary degree and dumb enough to not have a better plan for my life.

Like, what is it with the medical profession that the ophthalmologist who works at my local strip mall feels entitled to be addressed this way? Actually, he’s a pretty cool guy, so I don’t mind in this case, but you get my point.I like the Japanese model: professors and first-grade teachers alike should both be addressed as “sensei.”

5 Likes

Most doctors are narcissistic assholes but the insane amount of money in being a doctor in America must make them the most contemptible and corruptible.

1 Like

I would have disagreed and said they did a shit job of creating any coherent narrative that was internally consistent, but then Trump came along recently and implied that he was truly on death’s door when he went to the hospital, so yes, it is literally impossible to construct a believable story if you’re on his team.

Taking it one step further, the idea that you just say a bunch of contradictory shit and obvious nonsense so nobody can tell what’s going on is actually not a bad line here. But I refuse to accept that was done deliberately. Instead, I’m choosing to believe that the doctor is just dumb and a horrible communicator.

2 Likes

I know several doctors who are legitimately some of the most impressive people I’ve ever met. I’ve never met a dumb doctor. Their political views and personal lives are skewed by making lots of money and being in a work environment where they are basically worshipped. Many have perspective and are absolutely fantastic people; more don’t and aren’t.

1 Like

you don’t have to compliment people working at the white house like that, they’re not right twice a day

3 Likes

Judges piss me off worse. You have to call them Judge and kowtow every time they come into court.

7 Likes

This is an A+ take. Unlike doctors, there are legions of judges who are straight up dumbasses.

2 Likes

Last one I met was the dumbest person I’ve met in a long time–I’ve met one who was a literal fraud (not one of the TV ones). I guess nobody asked that dude questions before they employed him.

They seem to run a mixed bag like all professions.

Not only in court. Retired judges also get the distinction and you best know everyone is dropping “yes, your honor” “very funny, your honor” “how insightful, your honor”.

1 Like

I’m not sure “worst-case” means what you think it means here. All these military docs could definitely make even more than they do now if they just quit and went into the private sector. Military benefits are pretty good, but even when accounting for their value, they could easily make more money on the outside, if they wanted.

So, they’re not licking Trump’s boot for money (unless they have some sort of long-term grift planned, which is not out of the realm of possibility). They do it because they’re true believers.

Rumpole of the Bailey really was just decades ahead of its time in terms of describing how the inner workings of the legal profession work and all the ass-kissing and idiotic formalities that undergird the system of judges an lawyers. It’s on Acorn TV if any of you lawbros want to check it out. Plus, you can see I, Claudius and some shows about dudes who maintain British castles and Foyle’s War and shit. There’s a show about walking your dog through the British countryside that’s super chill.

4 Likes

One legit argument that I’ve heard is that if you go to a hospital these days, basically everybody is wearing a white coat and/or scrubs and carrying a stethoscope . So if you’re a patient, I think it’s kind of nice to know who the doctor is and if you are seeing one at all. Using the title helps with that.

That doesn’t really apply to your ophthalmologist in the strip mall, though.

They could also just be self-interested grifters. Look at Ronny Jackson, he went from toady doctor to likely Congressman.

Well, I did specifically cover that possibility.

Jackson is an interesting case because IIRC he was also Obama’s physician (if I’m wrong about this please disregard). So he’d have to have been playing the really long con, because step one would have been to wait for there to be an R president. And not just any R president, it would have to be someone like Trump

Are you missing a pidgin? Right leg Blue 2020/3089/AU2020/SHE ///LEFT LEG GREEN BAND NO PRINTED INFO. Contact Grassley.

7 Likes