The Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Episode VI: No Witnesses, One Defector, No Checks or Balances

some of them don’t like all the damn tweeting

That’s it tho

Trump isn’t gonna pass up TV airtime as it’s what he lives for, he will however prefer to just have his rally and force the networks to cover it instead of an actual debate.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1206670057805357059
( twitter | raw text )

Agree that Trump will participate in debates. However, he’s not going to get away with “forcing” the media to cover his rallies. They’ve already stopped doing that except to report on the most outrageous things he says. But wall-to-wall rally coverage is done. I also think Trump is going to get triggered on primary nights when the Democrats get lots of attention and he gets none…except for whatever he can squeeze out from his off-the-wall tweets.

Jesus we are less than two months to Iowa.

This shit is so important and I feel completely powerless

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1206643651302117377

In January, 2019, Giuliani spoke by phone with Viktor Shokin, the previous prosecutor general, about alleged misconduct by the Bidens, which set him on a new path of inquiry. That month, Lutsenko flew to New York, and, in the course of several days, spoke with Giuliani at his Park Avenue office. Parnas and his associate Igor Fruman were there, too. Lutsenko knew what would interest Giuliani, so he had brought along financial information purportedly drawn from bank records, which, he said, proved that Burisma, a Ukrainian gas company, had paid Hunter Biden and his business partner to “lobby” Joe Biden. “Lutsenko came in with guns blazing,” Parnas told me. “He came in with records showing us the money trail. That’s when it became real.” Giuliani seized on Lutsenko’s claims, offering to help him secure high-level meetings in Washington and encouraging him to pursue investigations beneficial to Trump.

In a long conversation with me this past November, Giuliani largely confirmed Lutsenko’s account of their relationship. He, too, saw Yovanovitch as an obstacle, hindering his attempt to dig up dirt against his client’s rival in advance of the 2020 election. “I believed that I needed Yovanovitch out of the way,” he said. “She was going to make the investigations difficult for everybody.” Giuliani compiled a dossier on the Bidens and Yovanovitch, which he sent to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and which was shared with the F.B.I. and with me. John Solomon, a journalist, had interviewed Lutsenko for the Washington-based publication The Hill . Giuliani promoted the project. “I said, ‘John, let’s make this as prominent as possible,’ ” Giuliani told me. “ ‘I’ll go on TV. You go on TV. You do columns.’ ”

Initially, Lutsenko and Giuliani seemed a perfect partnership; the meeting between them, Lutsenko told me, offered a “win-win” situation. But by May each man felt that he had been led on by the other. After Giuliani failed to arrange a meeting with Attorney General William Barr, who had succeeded Sessions, and Lutsenko failed to publicly announce a Ukrainian investigation into the Bidens, Trump made his fateful July 25th call to the new Ukrainian leader, Volodymyr Zelensky, to request that he announce a probe into the Bidens and the 2016 election. In September, the disclosure of Trump’s request by a whistle-blower led Nancy Pelosi, the House Speaker, to launch the impeachment inquiry. Three weeks later, F.B.I. agents arrested Parnas and Fruman, who face charges of conspiracy, making false statements, and falsification of records. The F.B.I. has now reportedly turned its attention to Giuliani.

Lutsenko’s miseries were only beginning. On October 3rd, Kurt Volker, Trump’s former special envoy to Ukraine, said in a closed-door deposition, “My opinion of Prosecutor General Lutsenko was that he was acting in a self-serving manner, frankly making things up, in order to appear important to the United States, because he wanted to save his job.” In a closed-door deposition on October 11th, Yovanovitch described Lutsenko as an “opportunist” who “will ally himself, sometimes simultaneously . . . with whatever political or economic forces he believes will suit his interests best at the time.” On the first day of public testimony, Kent accused Lutsenko of “peddling false information in order to exact revenge” against Yovanovitch and his domestic rivals. Lutsenko told me they were all liars. In our conversations, which took place in the course of several weeks, he veered between self-pity and defiance. “I gave my country so many years,” he told me one night, after his third or fourth Scotch. “I had a good story and good results, but I became a bad person. I can’t understand it.”

It’s all just scammers scamming scammers.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1206687258100871168
( twitter | raw text )

The president wishes to extend Christmas greetings

Merry Christmas

(this is from Dec 25, 2018)

“i don’t really care about it, its just noise”

“we’re not hearing people talk about it in my circle, at all”

“they don’t have the time to try to follow it”

“i think a lot of people see it as an infomercial, politically. very different looking back at the nixon impeachment … this just seems like its political theater”

“it began to feel like the game was already finish and we were watching a predetermined process that was going to be played for political gain on both sides”

“i think we’re looking at republicans posturing themselves, the president tweeting for example, i dont think those are accidents, i think with great purpose he tweets at 2AM to drive the next mornings news cycle”
“he doesn’t win a lot of style points”
“no”
“no”
“no, but i think he knows how to play the social media political process”
“yes”
“oh absolutely, as a microphone”

“through the holiday season getting together with people, nobody is talking about this,i think people are just tired, they see this as a political hit, it is very partisan, and if its not one thing it was going to be another it was going to be another”

“Q: does this change anyones vote?
A: i wouldn’t think so because we knew who trump was when we voted for him”

“i dont think this is shaking the pillars of democracy such that it warrants impeachment, i think my vote is more effected by the current economic situation and balancing that against trumps personality which is frankly not the best”

“i’m not necessarily a trump voter, but i think the republican party has the best answers”

“do we owe ukraine money? were we gifting ukraine money? were we lending ukraine money? who gives money without some kind of i dont want to call it quid pro quo but i mean some kind of you know hey here while i’m giving you this i heard about a problem back then can you look into that? is that unreasonable?”

1 Like

Giuliani is where I’m baffled every day this hasn’t already blown up in their faces beyond saving.

On one hand, Trump’s admin has defended him from any impropriety on Rudy’s part by saying he is acting as Trump’s personal lawyer, not a government agent serving at the pleasure of the President. But that was right around the time Rudy blew shit up by taking out his cell phone on live TV and offering his texts as proof that he wasn’t on some personal vendetta shadow mission. He was acting on behalf of the State Department.

3 Likes

Team WAAF looking tempting after that

3 Likes

To me Trump’s debate comments are similar to his comments he would release his taxes if not for x,y,z. I take it as strong confirmation that, as of right now, he has zero inclination to debate.

It would be like “I would release all my perfect calls with Putin but shifty schiff would just make up what they say. But you never know I might release them one day.”

Basically it is mush brain for “Hell no, I am not doing that.”

1 Like

Yeah but Fox News polling is legitimate and well respected. Literally has nothing in common with Fox News but the name. It is a weird duck.

I mean I’m just so busy with life I can’t possibly be bothered to learn how US aid works, and we should definitely use aid as a bribe because reasons.

1 Like

I wouldn’t count on wall to wall rally coverage being done when the election is in full swing. They are going to be dying for elective coverage and if trump
refuses to debate but instead holds a rally to blast his opponent, I have no confidence any of the networks wont cover it.

Yeah this “we are too busy” nonsense from people who probably rack up six hours of some gem game on their phone.

It is not exactly confusing. Any literate person should have read the summary of the call Trump himself released and said “Oh shit”.

2 Likes

I don’t have the expertise to say whether this is a good or bad thing, but my first reaction is to say this is good? I am posting it ITT because there is a part about the end that raises a question for me about Trump. Any help appreciated.

The homeless and their advocates say ticketing homeless people does nothing to solve the bigger housing crisis.

“Paying lawyers six figures to write briefs is not really going to build any more housing,” said Howard Belodoff, a Boise civil rights attorney.

Maria Foscarinis, executive director of the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty, added: “Housing, not handcuffs, is what ends homelessness.”

My confusion here is this part:

The case now returns to the 9th Circuit.

I would have thought that the SC declining to hear the case would mean the previous ruling is now considered settled law. But if the SC declining to hear the case means it returns to a lower court to be re-re-litigated, does that mean we would have seen the same thing happen to Friday’s announcement about the Supreme Court agreeing to rule on the Trump case?

Are they actually ensuring expedited judgement by agreeing to hear the case rather than remanding it back to lower courts?

I obviously have next to no clue about this stuff, so any law bro please feel free to jump in.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1206707182244388864

They had an election last week and the Conservative party won huge. He’s saying they’ll also have a huge conservative win in 2020. This was one of his more coherent thoughts.

It turns out that domino theory was completely correct if you substitute inequality-fueled oligarchy in for communism.

8 Likes