The Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Episode VI: No Witnesses, One Defector, No Checks or Balances

I mean aren’t a lot of centrist dems immigration hawks as well? Might lose more Biden type voters than GOP loses Trump voters lol.

1 Like

Vote for Jill Stein/Whoever and feel great about all the kids you’re “saving” while Trump wins because Biden doesn’t speak clearly and prefers incremental solutions to sweeping change.

The kids your noble vote saves thank you for your service.

Do you even history?

Or are you one of those people that thinks nothing has improved for African Americans in the last 150 years?

I’m guessing you think Lincoln was a racist because he gave a racist speech to swing voters once.

Lol yup.

Nice work, though, Machiavelli.

Irredeemable White trash. Hard to see why they don’t like you and see you supporting a candidate as a deal breaker.

Fuck your feelings.

1 Like

You know what’s way better than unions? Legislation that replaces it- enforcing all the rights that workers achieve through unions. The option for employees to take their employers to court and win large settlements for wrongful actions. It would create a far more efficient economy without the deadweight loss a union creates.

2 Likes

I have to second this. My experience of unions is that most of the workers that have them have enough natural leverage to not need them and all the workers who need them desperately don’t have them.

In the meantime we’ve got to support and secure workers’ rights in whatever way possible, but that sounds like a good ultimate goal / utopian result. Sign me up.

1 Like

The civil rights movement was won by black people pushing hard, literally while people like you were saying “whoah, slow down, you are going to risk alienating white people in swing states”

There’s a fucking TV interview with MLK where they have this discussion.

4 Likes

He’s not saying slow down. Wtf is wrong with people? He’s saying don’t promote that part of the agenda, or promote it in a way that doesn’t trigger the homophobes/racists.

3 Likes

Letter from a Birmingham Jail also articulates it quite well in several passages such as this one:

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Abandoning the message has the effect of slowing down the achievement of justice, they are basically the same thing. Avoiding tension.

8 Likes

Nobody wants African Americans to slow down. Their activism is what drives progress not politicians pandering.

1 Like

Greater than double the number of jobs in year one

2 Likes

Yeah. Just shut up about your issues. That will work.

And you think we are in the pro-pandering politicians camp? That is maybe a misread.

I mean that’s generally what politicians are doing when they address trans issues. They talk about it to signal how progressive they are and once they are in power… nothing.

Or they get into power and do something about trans issues in a mega liberal place where it isn’t really an issue instead of doing something real.

The activists should be loud and full speed ahead. The politicians should be getting led not the other way around. When a politician brings up these issues or makes them a centerpiece of their campaign I smell a distraction from broad issues that will help all of their constituents.

That’s why dog whistles are a completely ineffective political tactic. Oh, wait…

the republicans say they’re “pro business” when in practice they’re “pro employer”. democrats say they’re “pro lgbtqia+ rights” when in practice they’re “fairly moderate supporters of incremental normalization of lgbtqia+ rights”, but they SHOULD go with what works for the republicans and be more general and say they’re “pro equal rights for everybody” and really bold and underline everybody to make it obvious because the american public needs things to be super obvious

let people read into it what they want to. get a white guy up on stage with a southern accent saying that shit and the republican party is down for the count

2 Likes

Right, it’s the equivalent of a dog whistle.