The Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Episode VI: No Witnesses, One Defector, No Checks or Balances

Trump absolutely uses all the tricks that illiterate people use to get by. There are so many examples but one that was glaring is his staff wrote a statement about some issue to be released and they rushed it into him. He looked at it for a second then handed it back and said read it to me.

No normal literate person would do that when verifying a written press release. There is simply no evidence he can really read at an adult level.

So the administration line to Iraq is if you kick us out we might have to include you on the Iranian sanctions.

Jesus Christ.

Why would we sanction our ally who politely asked us to leave after we assassinated a leader of another one of their allys on their soil.

It is an entirely reasonable request by Iraq. Of course Team Trump literally didn’t spend five seconds weighing their idiotic decision. So again we are going to force occupation of Iraq.

This is especially odd given Trump claimed he wanted to bring all our troops home.

He’s read off teleprompters for periods, hasn’t he?

2 Likes

He sometimes reads from a teleprompter. He bungles some words but I am never certain how much that is due to him being shortsighted and too vain to wear glasses.

Does congress not understand he absolutely will take most of them down with him by the time this is all said and done?

Grape Leaves Factory

It seems to be overlooked in most reports, but among the dead in the strike was also an Iraqi militia leader.

2 Likes

What do they think is going to happen to them, the economy, the country, and the world after that happens? They think everything is gonna keep on going like normal except the big hole in the ground where Iran used to be?

They’ve been waiving sanctions periodically so far. AFAIK Iraq has no real choice but to get some energy from Iran - I think gas - so the US signs off on them being able to buy it without getting got. I’d say I guess the threat is to not continue that waiver whenever it next expires, but why pretend there’s particular logic at work.

1 Like

Accordingly to the NY Times, this is the home of an independent voter that Dems cannot risk alienating in 2020.

23 Likes

On a more serious note, this house isn’t that shitty, other than the messy yard, which, it looks like they have a decent sized property. The roof looks to be in relatively good condition, too (seems like new aluminum). If you want to see some actual third-world level poverty and houses, come to Belglade or Pahokee.

https://twitter.com/rezamarashi/status/1214031169173348352?s=20

Quite a few WTF quotes in the thread, but this one stands out

https://twitter.com/rezamarashi/status/1214031185816350720?s=20

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1214179198056697856
( twitter | raw text )

I personally loved this one

https://twitter.com/rezamarashi/status/1214031180523167745

…said the government official speaking on background.

4 Likes

It’s what you’re “busy” with that’s the concern.

2 Likes

Honestly, my money is on him having fabricated half those quotes. Nothing in there that I couldn’t have made up myself.

For example:

When I used your points about Soleimani’s murder being a catalyst for Iranians to rally around the flag, they said that was ‘Obama apologist bullshit,’ and the Soviet Union forced people against their will into public displays of support. So apparently Iran is a superpower now.

Am I to believe that an official gave him permission to use a conversation which could very easily expose his identity?

Also they’re all written in exactly the same voice. Maybe that’s because he’s paraphrasing, but the whole thread reeks of bullshit to me. How many career US government officials working on the Iran problem specifically can he actually know?

This is understandable. A few things in your favor though. 1) The threat is “Death to America” and Disney World is an incredibly diverse worldwide tourist destination. Iran doesn’t get anybody on their side killing families from all around the globe in a retaliatory strike. 2) There is no strategic advantage to a DW strike, nor would any major infrastructure be hurt. Places that really need to be concerned are DC, NY, LA, SF Bay Area and Seattle.

Imo, we can’t stop living our lives. Go. Have fun. Watch the kids have fun. I’m not anything close to a Disney fan boy, and disagree strongly with a lot of their practices, but my trip there last year was the best moment of 2019 for the family, and Im incredibly glad we went.

1 Like