The Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Episode VI: No Witnesses, One Defector, No Checks or Balances

Right this very second there is an army of dumbasses on twitter arguing the military leaders won’t let things get out of hand. I don’t even.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1213941254674739200

5 Likes

3 Likes

Trump has been golfing this afternoon.

1 Like

Ha, people used to mock him for golfing so much but given his recent tweets we should probably be encouraging it. More time on the course = less time antagonizing the rest of the world. Go golf everyday for world peace, Donnie.

3 Likes

How long until Trump thanks Germany for making him number 1?

1 Like

“He didn’t process information in any conventional sense,” Wolff writes. “He didn’t read. He didn’t really even skim. Some believed that for all practical purposes he was no more than semi-­literate.”

Wolff quotes economic adviser Gary Cohn writing in an email: “It’s worse than you can imagine … Trump won’t read anything—not one-page memos, not the brief policy papers, nothing. He gets up halfway through meetings with world leaders because he is bored.”

Ahead of the election, the editors of this magazine wrote that the Republican candidate “appears not to read.” Before the inauguration, Trump told Axios , “I like bullets or I like as little as possible. I don’t need, you know, 200-page reports on something that can be handled on a page. That I can tell you.” In February, The New York Times reported that National Security Council members had been instructed to keep policy papers to a single page and include lots of graphics and maps. Mother Jones reviewed classified information indicating Trump’s briefings were a quarter as long as Barack Obama’s.

In March, Reuters reported that briefers had strategically placed the president’s name in as many paragraphs of briefing documents as possible so as to attract his fickle attention.

The president’s actions show little such sign of preparation and study, while displaying faulty understandings of many things. After visiting Saudi Arabia and hitting it off with the country’s leaders, he forcefully backed Riyadh in its dispute with Qatar and many other issues, over the objections of some of his staff—even publicly contradicting Tillerson. In December, however, he suddenly became concerned about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen. The minimal thought put into several of Trump’s core views on China became clear when President Xi Jinping was able to change his entire view of the Korean incident in 10 minutes—10 minutes of oral conversation, of course.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/1213842821368680448?s=21

1 Like

The super old liberals I know agree with the messaging pretty much and would never be offended by it, they’re not snowflakes.

The article says they are likely to be shells if they exist at all. Those are tiny and can be hidden and moved easily. They are tactical nukes designed for batllefield use over short ranges. Launching a first strike and claiming counterforce to destroy them would be the most unjustified use of force ever. Except this fucking monster is not even doing that–he’s threatening countervalue targets after assassinating a military commander pre-emptively.

https://twitter.com/SHofeller/status/1213901755324534786?s=20

Stephanie says her father’s stated goal was to use gerrymandering to “create a system wherein the Republican nominee would win.”

“State legislature, it doesn’t matter who votes for what. Congress, it doesn’t matter who votes for what. And president, it doesn’t matter,” she says.

“The reason I don’t identify as a Democrat is because I’m an anarchist,” she says. “I don’t believe that we’re going to really find solutions to the deeper problems of inequality in a system that demands a hierarchy, which is, by definition, unequal.”

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/HouseForeign/status/1213953699371982853?s=20

5 Likes

please clap

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1213967674633531395?s=20

These clowns let Bush and Obama bomb people left and right without Congress signing off on it and now they want to invoke the War Powers Act?

4 Likes

I will say that at the least, I don’t think they’ll let him bomb cultural sites. Or at least that they’ll fight like hell to stop that. It’s so obviously counter to US interests.

We didn’t officially declare war but I believe there was a vote for the use of force in Iraq for both Bush wars.

It’s our concern that Iraq would take a short-term decision that would have catastrophic long-term implications for the country and its security,” the official told Axios.

“But it’s also, what would happen to them financially. If they allowed Iran to take advantage of their economy to such an extent that they would fall under the sanctions that are on Iran?,” the official added. “We don’t want to see that. We’re trying very hard to work to have that not happen.”

Lawl, from liberation to threatening to impose sanctions if the country wont keep you in and let you kill whoever you want

1 Like

The use of force against those who we can make any connection to 9-11 no matter how remote was* predictably (notably by Barbara Lee) abused.

*Edit: still is

Which is probably why Pompeo (I think it was him) was saying something about how this guy helped 9-11 hijackers travel to Afghanistan.