The Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Episode VI: No Witnesses, One Defector, No Checks or Balances

That Trump Tweet has to be one of the most insane things I’ve ever read.

10 Likes

I don’t see why he’s sweating impeachment. He should just tweet “I hereby declare I am no longer impeached” and get on with his day. What’s anyone going to do?

4 Likes

Exactly, and it’s not like we have any reason to think he’d do something insane and disproportionate …

It’s actually even worse than that. It’s not just the media who act as if the deal is still fine, the other parties to the agreement have all done so as well - releasing sad face statements when Iran have taken the largely symbolic steps to ‘breach’ the agreement before today.

But, ludicrously, it’s even worse than that. There are procedures in the agreement to deal with breaches, which the Iranians followed. They complain, go to arbitration, and, if they’re not satisfied the agreement allows them to then also not follow it. They did all that, they were not even breaching it!

5 Likes

I mean the idea doesn’t come out of nowhere. All the polling shows millennials are liberal at a 70% clip and Trumps support is almost all olds. Pretty much all the data supports this from what I’ve seen.

That doesn’t mean those 20-30% of millenials that like Trump don’t exist and aren’t loud as hell about their support. Or that there aren’t like 20-30% of boomers that are good people.

2 Likes

Jeremiah is a show based on a disease wiping out everyone over like 15. It’s kinda cheesy and has that 90210 star guy in it but it’s still pretty entertaining.

1 Like

Sometimes Trump is amazing just because he highlights how meaningless all these process fetishism instead of actual politics is. Congress people are like “under Article 5 subsection 1 the President must serve notice to us and he never did so it brings up a lot of questions about how legal this is”

and Trump writes back in crayon on construction paper some misspelled “I giv yu notice that I will bom Iran, I dint hv to but I did”

And that’s it. All that solemnity and sober assessment down the drain

17 Likes

@BestOf

6 Likes

Yeah but process isn’t meaningless. He is treating it like a lazy high schooler, which is – of course – completely inappropriate.

So heard word that he’s still in the embassy and has not been evacuated yet. All non-essential personnel have been shipped out, supposedly. He’s Kurdish Iranian, though, so I have no idea how that’s going to play out if/when they have to leave.

Graham just said he’s going to try to kick out pelosi so they could start the impeachment trial themselves as soon as this week. (I guess somethingamajig to pass the senate)

Yes, he meant to make it over in about 10 minutes, not get rid of trump.

Thanks for the updates - what a mess.

It’s not meaningless in conjunction with politics. When it stands in for doing the work of politics then Trump shows how silly it can be.

Agreed

https://mobile.twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1213929599844966403

4 Likes

The politics and the process are not meaningless sure, but if someone’s problem is really either and they’d accept it when when sober intelligent people have a bunch of proper meetings and hearings and somberly say that they regret there is no alternative but to bomb the shit out of Iran it’s still bad and that right now, it’s the bombing that’s the problem and not childish twittering. Colin Powell and Robert McNamara looked all proper while they fucked the world up.

2 Likes

Me: I will cease to be shocked by anything this insane lunatic of a President does says.

Trump:

5 Likes

How about this one?

Scenario: The Iranians reveal that these weapons actually exist and at some point in an escalation, decide to use them as a bluff. Trump decides to strike pre-emptively.

The probability that they have them may be small but our expectation still goes down significantly if the outcome is doomsday.

LOL George Conway.

Why the hell does he need a lawyer? Spell it out for me. Who is going to charge him with a crime? Beyond that, who is going to enforce consequences at the barrel of a gun?

6 Likes

IMG_20200105_164946

10 Likes