The Pets of Unstuck

She’s beautiful and of course a great dog, but loud as hell. I don’t know if it’s her, me or the breed. She doesn’t bark incessantly, but often enough and it’s not great. She doesn’t bite or anything and she’s good after people get to know her, but her demeanor towards strangers starts off more aggro than I’d like. Again, I don’t know if it’s her, me or the breed, but I would probably have picked like a golden retriever if I just picked by the reputation/stereotype (that’s probably well founded).

So…if I ever get another dog it probably won’t be a GS. (unless maybe it was already like over 2 years old and I could see what it was like - we got our dog at like 6 weeks old or something)

1 Like

Back in March, we decided to foster a beagle in between his time being a lab dog and an adopted family dog. Basically, he was a subject for a year and when he hit ~1 year, the labs needed to retire him. To their credit, instead of euthanasia many pharmaceutical companies work with rescues to place dogs with adoption families or agencies.

As I understand it, most/all(?) drugs that are approved by the FDA need to be vetted by 2 species. Beagles have a cardiovascular system similar to humans, hence their strong candidacy for many medicinal trials. I’m definitely over-simplifying this, but that’s the generic explanation we received.

Anyway, this is Connor. He spent a year sitting in someone’s lap, being still and having his vitals measured. He was surrendered to a local rescue, and we fostered him for a week before he was adopted. Dude was an absolute sweetheart.

Well, he’s back! Or he was. His family emailed to say they were hoping he could hang with us for a few days while they went on vacation. Naturally, we accepted immediately. He was here for a couple nights in early July, and immediately settled in and mimicked Waylon. It was so great having him around, and Waylon was very patient with him always trying to play.

image !

I have a feeling we’ll see him again and again. It’s heartwarming that dogs can create kindred spirits among humans.

21 Likes
3 Likes

My Belgian shep didn’t like men in cowboy hats or men with colored hair. She was hell on wheels. I used to bring her to the shop I worked at and kept her in a crate in the back room and took her for walks throughout the day. Guy at the transmission shop across the parking lot had a 100lb black lab and he brought it over to her crate one day against my wishes (hadn’t had all of her vaccinations yet and weighed in at 30lbs or so). Our office guy came over and told me about it so I went back and opened the door to the crate and she stayed in there and looked up at me. I said “get him” and she shot out of the crate and pushed the lab back like 10 feet into a bunch of hanging mufflers. It made a lot of noise and both went back to the transmission shop with their tails between their legs.

2 Likes

Pretty muggy hike today, I guess it’s the dog days of summer. Its definitely sun’s out, tongues out time in Ontario.

16 Likes

must be nice to be able to hike in the daytime. To hike in SD county right now you either have to start before dawn or after sunset or you get heatstroke and have to be rescued by the Sheriff’s dept.

Don’t mind me, I’m just salty because there’s at least one helicopter rescue a week on the trails near my house because people are idiots who go “hiking” with one small bottle of water and flip flops.

4 Likes

Even catches out those you’ve always been told were naturals at it.

1 Like

Here’s my dog, we have 4 cats too, I’ll see if I can get around to posting them later.

She’s 9ish probably, her whole face has turned white.

She’s some kind of basset hound mutt.

20 Likes

Hound ears on :100:!!

2 Likes
1 Like

Here are the cats, my wife is a big cat person, I never had them growing up but have warmed to them.

In order, Josie, M&Ms, Ice cream, skittles.

Kids named the last 3 lol, dogs name is copper.

M&Ms is obsessed with drinking running water so he gets up near the faucet anytime you walk near it.

17 Likes

Is Josie a Russian Blue?

1 Like

Yes her and M&M’s both are, M&M’s is her son actually.

2 Likes

Which one gets into the blinds?

1 Like

This is Buddy. I went to the pound to adopt another dog but it had to be fostered due to a broken leg and then put back on the system. I looked around and he was the last dog I saw. Ten minutes later he was listening to Tupac doing 75mph in a convertible. Buddy is the most loving animal I have ever been around.

15 Likes

8 Likes

One more that I just took. The world can never have enough pet pics. Keep them coming!

7 Likes

I like your dog but be careful, he seems to be studying phrenology. You’ve got to nip that in the bud or the behavior doesn’t stop.

6 Likes

All the cat pictures are making me miss our batshit crazy feline that passed away a few years ago. She was the most extra cat personality of all time. She used to pester me for petting and then bite my hand when I touched her. “NO, YOU IMBECILE, PET ME WITHOUT TOUCHING ME!”

4 Likes

I have scars all over my left forearm where Koko, an insane calico, bit me for 20 years. I miss that damn cat.

2 Likes