The NHL Thread: It’s Back

How many ex rangers are on the lightning atm, shattenkirk mcdonagh? (trying to find a reason to care)

I think that’s all

Props to the Lightning. And to the Stars who went farther than I ever thought they could. Seems like hockey emotion is more real than any other sport.

Stars just ran out of gas.
Best team won. Healthiest team won.
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now bring out the CUP

1 Like

Man, I needed this. It was the first time in a long time to be genuinely happy for something. Go bolts!

I gotta be honest, much like I expect the world series to feel, this was super underwhelming.

I just can’t bring myself to care about a team winning a championship after playing a third of the season.

1 Like

I fully admit that this may be because all 3 of my teams missed the playoffs this year, but I don’t think so. I usually think the cup playoffs are the greatest thing in sports, regardless of whether I have a team in the mix, so I don’t think that is it

I think a fair bit of that is simply that its hard to take sports seriously in 2020. At least that has been my experience. I could use the distraction but I mostly can’t get myself emotionally engaged.

Yea, I tried to get up for the Giants trying to eek out a playoff spot in MLB, but it mostly turned into a pile of meh, even with them almost completing a comeback on Sunday. And I am a Giants diehard that would have loved to see a Giants/Dodgers 3 game series. I just couldnt get into it. Simply more important things going on right now I think.

We may have to get used to it. No way the upcoming season is going to be of normal duration… is there? Maybe long tournaments in bubbles is the way to go until coronavirus is effectively eradicated. NFL Tennessee Titans shutting it down at least for the moment due to three positive players.

This is totally fine.

https://twitter.com/pr_nhl/status/1340757002927153152?s=21

Central seems pretty rag-tag. As a Pens fan I like being in the division with the Flyers and Caps. Boston is probably the non-division team I dislike the most. So I think it’s good for us. But I don’t know how a CLB or CAR fan will feel. You could swap CAR and Pit I guess.

Carolina is a Cup contender. They’re much better off in this division where TB is the only team that’s clearly better.

1 Like

Hockey is worth dying for.

The West should skip the season and go straight to a Avs, VGK final.
That or relegate California.

1 Like

At least LA and Minnesota are getting interesting. Theyll be bad this year but Minnesota has a Grade A top line in the making. LA is absolutely stacked with prospects but who know if they pan out.

Are the Devils good again yet? Or are they only good when they have a once in a generation goalie?

I don’t think so. Looking at their division I’d pick them for 8th. Unfortunately for them BOS/WAS/PIT while old are all contenders. NYI/PHI are good. NYR are going to be scary soon, but maybe not for another year or two. Even BUF has some nice pieces. Having done no research I’d predict
BOS
PIT
WAS
NYI
PHI
NYR
BUF
NJ

Wouldn’t be surprised by 2-5 coming in any order.

Still have 2 years to get rid of dead money. Brown, Carter, Quick, Kovalchuk, etc. (Edit: Still paying off Phaneuf for 3 more years!) Even Doughty might be dead money if he decides to not give a fuck.
Lots of prospects but not a sure think among them, much less a 1st line or all-star. And the D prospects aren’t inspiring
Best case scenario for the year:
Lottery pick
2 or 3 prospects stick
Dump a future liability