The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

Love the bad weather games. Football at lower levels is always played outside, often in the rain, in the mud, in the snow, in the heat of south Florida and Texas. The elements are such a part of league history and football itself.

Part of winning home field advantage is getting the conditions of your home stadium. It always played a factor for teams like the Manning Colts or Brees Saints to have to go into the snow, but also they constructed their rosters around turf fields and good weather and had the advantage when hosting indoors.

I think it’s a bummer we never have bad weather Superbowls anymore

Goes along with football as a stand-in for war

I remember the 2nd “Ice Bowl” in 82. 1st Bengals trip to the Superbowl that year. Forest Gregg on the sideline in a parka looked like a big steaming buffalo. Fouts and SD Chargers had no chance. Can you imagine how hard that astroturf must have been?

635563382248398631-cold

2 Likes

I was psyched for one that year that they held it at MetLife, then it turned out to be like…a cloudy 58-degree day in northern NJ with no wind, or something. Blah.

2 Likes

I get it from both sides. There’s something pure about playing the game outdoors in whatever weather nature throws at you, and just adapting and overcoming.

The flip side is this is an incredibly exciting sport to watch, and having what would otherwise be a great back and forth battle can sometimes get boiled down to which team has a player that can maintain footing on mud or snow.

At the end of the day the NFL is an entertainment business and has to decide which is more appealing to a fan base. A consistent week to week, or one that can vary with the weather. I have no idea.

1 Like

Punted balls stopping dead cold in a puddle on first impact will never not be funny. But you’re right that windy games are not fun.

1 Like

image000000

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Kyle_Zorn/status/1745851390402928726

Lol Dolphins nation not showing out for this one.

LOL at being a Chiefs season ticket holder and getting playoff tickets but losing money on them in 3rd party resale. I’m sure face value is more than $57

2 Likes

At the time Lions playoff tickets were available when they clinched, tix were $500 + about $250 in fees. I was going to do it but god damn. I have a friend who is a season ticket holder and his playoff ticket for this game was only $250 and seats in his section are going for $3000.

Time to sell. There will be a game next week.

It at least makes sense why a Dolphins fan wouldn’t want to go to KC in winter. But wtf are Chiefs fans doing other than going to the game?

Yeah having been to plenty of cold weather games, it feels colder in the stadium than you’d think, even in single digit Fahrenheit much less what they’re going to see this weekend. The cold comes up through the concrete into your boots, the wind is stronger up in the upper decks. Just sitting there still for hours is vastly different than even walking around or something in terms of your body generating heat.

Plus they’ve had playoff runs recently so it’s not like it’s the Lions or Browns where there hasn’t been a home playoff game in forever.

I can totally get people saying nahh I’m good and watching on TV instead.

But still hilarious. Normally a playoff game is a several hundred dollar profit per seat for season ticket holders who want to resell and in KC they’ll be losing money

There should be 0 people at that game. No way I’m risking frostbite when I can see every play up close in Ultra High quality. Fuck that noise.

7 Likes

A few years ago when the Vikings played Seattle in an ultra cold outdoor playoff game I was offered free tickets and said lol no. The temp was sub zero with -20 or -30F windchill and it was a terrible game.

1 Like

It’s going to be 20 below with wind chill. They are rightly watching on TV.

My most fond memories, except for that one homecoming we won 44-0 and I got a concussion, were games played in extreme elements. Cold, rain always was so fun to play in. I got lucky the coldest game I ever played I was in every play, offense/defense/special teams, so I never got cold.

1 Like

Mayo hired by New England. I will not lie, I don’t know who that is.

He was a mod of BBV4L

4 Likes

I want to see the data on new Peacock subscriptions in the Kansas City area immediately before kickoff