The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

You guys are fucked

1 Like

Is the MRI read for partial tear affected by swelling? The language theyā€™re using seems weird. They *believe* the ligaments are *intact*. Thatā€™s almost word-for-word what was reported about Zach Ertz last year before it was later revealed he had a partial ACL tear.

After an initial examination, the team believes Ertzā€™s anterior cruciate ligament is intact, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. Ertz, who was wearing a brace after the Cardinalsā€™ win, is expected to miss multiple weeks.

Hereā€™s another one that took a lot of twists and turns:

Meh Iā€™m not an expert on this kind of thing, just know that I have a partial tear and chose not to get a repair as Iā€™m done serious athlete-ing.

I wouldnā€™t think swelling would affect the read too much. Also they can just get another one a few days later.

Pretty sure partial ACL tears are an area of controversy among ortho docs though.

I tore mine decades ago and didnā€™t have it redone, and last time I checked the literature they still canā€™t get the anatomy completely correct. The thing Iā€™m pointing out here though is that the team statement isnā€™t as great as some people are making it out to be. If there was a Predict-It market for Kelceā€™s knee Iā€™d definitely be selling. I also donā€™t believe they will be ā€œfineā€ without him since heā€™s the focal point of the offense and teams usually run bracket or some kind of complex scheme just for him. If they know he has a serious issue and likely done, now would not be a great time to announce that fact.

2 Likes

My understanding is a partial tear and sprain are the same thing. The MCL can heal itself on partial tears while the ACL cannot and surgery is required or you will just eventually fully tear itā€¦see Tannehill.

I also believe surgery is easier and 100% recovery is more likely for partial ACL tears than full ones, but the athlete is still out 8+ months regardless.

Even if thereā€™s no damage that requires surgery, if his knee is bothering him come game time and it affects his stride or ability to plant, that can open him up for the risk of further injury. It seems somewhat irresponsible to play him if his range of motion is limited.

Itā€™s one thing to load up a QB with toradol so he can finish a post season run with a high ankle sprain. Brady played the better part of 2021 without an MCL. But a TE who needs to block and cut in week 1 of a 17 game season? Why risk it?

Go Lions.

Apparently itā€™s a bone bruise according to fantasypros.com

Bullet dodged. Though he might not play this week.

I thought of this when reading about the Chris Jones holdout - not directly related.

Players should get paid more for playoff games. I remember doing the math back for Vince Wilfork - he played an additional season and a half worth of games in the playoffs but basically earned less than the league minimum during those games. I think playoff shares are a bit bigger now, but Jones is on a similar path - 15 games already. Maybe they make a little more off the field, or get a little higher salary for being a Super Bowl Champ, but not if the organization is sharp. Itā€™s just another season and a half of mileage on their bodies.

Paying 1/17th of their cap charge isnā€™t going to happen but paying guys near the league minimum or less for the games latest in the season (theoretically when theyā€™re the most beat up and prone to injury) is ridiculous.

I hope those games at least count towards pensions being vested for the guys who are fringe NFL players (quick google says they do).

But that was actually kind of a fun time to be a Lions fan Iā€™d imagine. Like every year theyā€™d be like 6-7 and then management would issue an ultimatum that Fonts is getting fired unless they make the playoffs and then the Lions would win three straight games and get the last wildcard spot. That happened like three different times with Fonts teams.

1 Like

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2023&wk=1

2 Likes

The Lions and Packers played each other five times during the 1994 calendar year

wild
they went 9-13 that decade against gb, but lost when it mattered, stat wise outside points you wouldā€™ve thought they blown them out at home but lost of course by 4 with two end zone intā€™s including a pick six, next year barry somehow gets -1 yards rushing but they lose when herman moore comes down out of bounds.

Nocal hates the chargers.

I used to recreate mouse Davisā€™ run n shoot offense in a Mac video game from XOR.

Why does Austin get CAR/ATL when most everyone else gets SF/PIT?

Local affiliates get to pick the game they want and the gm is a falcons fan?

1 Like

Iā€™m watching SVU on the USA network, and the live countdown clock to tonightā€™s game has been on the screen the entire time.

3 Likes

donā€™t know but I do know Iā€™m glad that era is over, like Iā€™m watching vikings bucs as an adult in 2023. nope

I realize reading this Im pretty blessed as a sports fan.

3X WS titles (Giants)
3X Stanley Cups (Devils, almost 5, they were the better team in 2001 and a couple bounces in games 1 and 2 in 2012 and theyre in.)
3X Super Bowls (Niners, was alive for '85 but only two at the time so it doesnt count)
4X NBA titles (though Im not the biggest NBA fan, I have enjoyed watching my Dad enjoy the Dubs winning the last decade)

1 Like

the state of wisconsin run the last 30 years has been ridiculous (bit of a wasted hof in # of rang terms but contenders nearly every year gtfo wisconsin college div titles/final fours/etc not too long ago plus bucks rang and top 3 seed every year now)

some find a way to still complain of course

I got to cheer some guy named Jordan though, definitely is better when you are a kid for this stuff.

Same here.
1x superbowl win. ( I was a baby) 1 superbowl loss. (I was not a baby.)
6x nba Champs w arguably the goat.
2x ws wins, breaking the two longest ws droughts.
3x Stanley cups.

Football is almost here!