The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

my personal opinion on things like DUI/speeding etc. is that we really need to go towards a model where fines are percentages of your income. we never will do that, but until then these offenses are only “crimes” if you’re poor.

in my jurisdiction you aren’t going behind bars until at least the 3rd or 4th dui within 10 yrs and even then there are options to stay out through drug court. first two are both probation level sentences.

1 Like

Jalen Carter was in a Jeep Trackhawk, which has the 700HP Hellcat engine. I had the opportunity to drive one of those on a closed track and nearly pissed myself at 150MPH when it was still throwing me back in the seat. That’s more power than what Nascar typically races.

Hot Take - We should ban these kind of engines and even most 6 and 8 cylinder engines. Modern 4 cylinder cars have plenty of power at any sort of safe speed and people hauling around these massive heavy engines are just wasting gasoline.

There should be a maximum limit on torque and/or horsepower for internal combustion engines based on the weight of the cars. There could be some exemption for commercial vehicles but at least make them be diesel or hybrid.

1 Like

Hotter take – cars should have mandatory geofenced speed governors. There is zero excuse for anyone to be travelling that fast in any built-up area.

Agree but I don’t think governors fully solve the issue because there is also zero reason to carry hundreds of pounds of weight in the form of an oversized engine just to have a slightly better 0-60 time.

I always used to shake my head driving around in a Prius passing a V8 Mustang. What did that person buy that car for if they’re going to drive so slow? They’re getting 12 MPG and not getting any benefit out of it. Someone save these people form themselves.

counterpoint:

What if it were Raptors or aliens chasing you at 110mph?

1 Like

Cleary there is an emergency overrride button in case of raptor attack or you know, late for 7:15 show and you don’t want to miss the previews.

You can pry my truck-boat-truck from my cold dead hands

2 Likes

And it weighs 2,000 pounds more than a Nascar which is a significant factor in its traumatic injury / death-causing capability.

Good news, Dodge is discontinuing the hellcat engine and replacing it with an electric motor.

Street racing is a resurgent phenomenon across the country. I see chodes in tuners recklessly weaving through traffic at 100+ just about every time I’m on the interstate or loop around Columbus. Also, big surprise here, but some of those who shoot forces are the same who count horses:

Is this some obscure idiom or just a weird typo?

1 Like

Not a typo. Riffing on Killing in the Name.

1 Like

Deep cut

1 Like

My wife and daughter are out of town and my daughter texted me to ask if I was watching the Packers game. I informed her that the season doesn’t start for four months. She was like I don’t know, it’s on right now and to prove it, she sent me a pic of the TV…

…and blurred out the score just in case I didn’t want spoilers.

6 Likes

Wow. Talk about parenting failures.just kidding. Just the type of thing my daughter would have done.

spoilers you lose twice to the Lions this year

again

4 Likes

anyway I had a thought

so there’s a game called tecmo super bowl for the nintendo entertainment system (a great game btw, was definitely a lot of hours of my childhood), sure there’s a few uh, not perfect things, but given it was all japanese people making it it’s incredible when I think about it cause they would’ve had no idea wtf football was).

In this game you can throw the football from one end zone to the other, well the eagles in this game QB Eagles (a few players didn’t let the game use his name, randall cunningham being one) is the fastest QB in the game so what people do is either call the run with him or the pass plays where the players all run deep, since the CPU defenders aren’t great you have to be deep to cover someone and so the human player eventually just takes off for some yards and goes out of bounds and does this about every damn play, it’s annoying as hell. (humans with all teams play a bit like this–it’s just so much harder defending vs a good player with them) You get FOUR downs for this.

The Colts have a guy who can truck a secondary NFL player, is at least as fast as Justin Fields, and can throw as far as about Josh Allen can. Does it matter if he can read a defense or audible a play? Every play WR’s go deep, Richardson can hand off to Taylor on the inside based on pre snap if not rolls out one direction and either chucks it deep or takes off. Gonna play some weird zone to stop that? Gl

2 Likes
1 Like

I feel like I’m the only person who played Tecmo Bowl religiously, but never played Tecmo Super Bowl.