The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

Never heard of him and have no idea of the details of the case but this seems reasonable:

Investigators determined Carter’s involvement did not rise to the level of felony charges.

“If the investigation had determined otherwise, Mr. Carter would have been charged with the far more serious offenses of vehicular homicide and serious injury by vehicle under Georgia law, both felony offenses, and would have faced a lengthy prison sentence,” Stephens said.

But dui increases the risk of those things happening to a huge degree? So allowing dui just means you’re gonna have more people dying and I guess more people having the book thrown at them?

Yeah it makes zero sense to criminalize DUI solely on the results. Why should someone with the same level of impairment get away scot free just because he didn’t hurt anyone? It’s like saying Ruggs should only get in trouble for going 160 miles an hour if he hurts someone.

Because it is indicative of and correlated with exercising greater caution behind the wheel while inebriated.

If person A has .12 BAC, and drives below the speed limit they are less likely to cause a deadly crash than person B with the same BAC that drives the speed limit or marginally higher.

1 Like

that was gonna be my argument. i was a great drunk driver. i say that sincerely. drove 3-4mph over the limit, never swerved, never was on my phone…i’ve been in many cars where the driver is flipping through twitter while driving 15mph+ over that were way, way more dangerous that i would’ve been.

i’d support stiffer dui punishments, i don’t plan on drinking anyway. but i guess it would rub me wrong bc without hurting anyone/anything else, what have you done really?

all that said, i got a dui in the summer of 2019. license suspended a year when i refused to blow. january of 2020 i had to go to a weekend dui school. those two things absolutely put me on a path to get better. the realization that by the second night of a 3-day stay, i was completely sick/agitated/shaky was enlightening. took me trying to quit (and failing after 2-3 days) for 8 months before i finally figured fuck it and went to rehab for 30 days.

walking a mile round trip (with my dog) to the liquor store 3-4x a week in the summer and wearing a backpack so nobody could see the 4 liters of fireball i was carrying home, all bc i didn’t have my license bc of drinking was equally enlightening.

anyway, there are so, so many people that you have no idea that they drink a bottle+ a day. millions. and while they’re playing with fire driving every day like that, until they hurt someone else, it’s like drugs/prostitution to me in that it shouldn’t be illegal unless it affects someone else :man_shrugging:t3: it’s not illegal to walk around with a loaded AR-15, it’s illegal to shoot someone with it.

are there dui/deaths statistics from like the 60’s/70’s/80’s? i thought i read that MADD was responsible for the BAC level going lower and lower, but that it made little or no difference in drunk driving fatalities?

1 Like

i stand corrected. dui deaths being way down while regular traffic deaths basically stayed this same is pretty convincing actually.

first time for DUI here is like just don’t do it again man and that’s if it was bad enough you got charged for it

He was racing another car at over 100 mph, fled the scene, and lied to police about it. He may have been drunk like the driver of the other car, but nobody knows because he was never tested and there was no investigation to find out. This was just a few months after being ticketed for driving 89 mph in a 45 mph zone. He was given a “break” that time by the ticketing officer to avoid making “news.” Seems like a lot of lucky breaks.

2 Likes

Sure? My point is I don’t know the level of recklessness that they can prove against Carter. If the level of recklessness doesn’t reach a certain level it doesn’t make sense to put him in prison for years and years. The level of recklessness that Ruggs engaged in was totally insane.

That quote you posted was from Carter’s attorney. Here’s footage of them driving just minutes before the crash occurred:

Also notice how one of the themes explored by this news station is the totally shocking revelation (!) that UGA football officials have been meddling in Athens-Clarke police affairs involving players and staffers. The police aren’t trying to uncover anything and just let him walk after fleeing and then giving several varying implausible accounts after being summoned back to the scene. If you don’t investigate then you can’t bring charges.

Screenshot from 2023-05-04 00-19-06

Let’s start with one second. Maybe if he gets a third strike he’ll be out.

OK? Maybe Carter should go to prison, I don’t know or care. I literally just heard about him from you mentioning him. But there’s a huge difference between going 160 miles an hour on a surface street and 100 miles an hour on a surface street. Both are very dangerous, but 160 miles an hour is probably ten times times more dangerous. Maybe more. And in that accident the only people harmed were the idiots racing.

Guys going to have more freedom and even more money. I would consider him a risk if he were on my team. Hopefully he grows up fast. In my experience people who speed like that are adrenaline junkies and will always speed like that.

But if you’re evaluating whether someone would be willing to throw their body around into other huge human beings on a football field, “adrenaline junkie” is probably a good trait

1 Like

I remember reading that d-linemen and offensive linemen had completely different personality types. NFL D-linemen had messy lockers and chaotic personalities, offensive linemen had neat tidy lockers and organized personalities.

1 Like

It’d be interesting to know where the causation lies. Are organized people more likely to end up as o-linemen? Or does the rule-based nature of o-line study carry over into other areas of their lives? And also, of course, we’re self-selecting for people who are also a) enormous, and b) OK with physical violence at some level

1 Like

Offensive Linemen tend to have the highest wonderlic scores as well. This is a bit of an oversimplification but playing O-Line is very detail oriented and technique based, and requires them to make very very quick decisions regarding the pass rush and their assignments, especially at tackle. D-line is more of “use extreme violence to beat your blocker and destroy the QB.”

Often when interviewed O-Line players much prefer running the ball, when they can be the aggressor and just have to maul the person in front of them, rather than getting mauled.

3 Likes

I only played in high school but I played both ways and oline definitely required more thought and preparation than dline.

1 Like

For sure. I was a defensive end and struggled with the raw aggression part of things. I was much more comfortable on offense when it was more thought and less reaction

You can’t simply sort by speed. There’s basically a 0% chance that known super speeder and street racer Jalen Carter didn’t drive in excess of 100 mph, perhaps frequently and perhaps much faster. You’d have to do a real investigation, file real charges, and pull computer data from the car to figure that out which is what happens in normal cases of street racing resulting in death. Also, it doesn’t matter who’s harmed. He participated in a race that resulted in the death of two people, apparently fled the scene, then lied to police. That’s at least involuntary manslaughter in many cases, particularly in places where the university football staff doesn’t control the police department.

1 Like