The National Football League

No. Dalton is an improvement over Truaidsky

So Iā€™m not crazy. Or we both are.

fwiw, stat wise Dalton is about the same as Trubes and Trubes has better mobility.

If cam wouldnā€™t annoyingly overthrow arob 5 times a game Iā€™d try to get him.

Iā€™d guess theyā€™re sticking with trubes (doesnā€™t benefit them to just cut him) and not firing anyone which is exactly the opposite of what this org should do. Itā€™s a 6-6 season thatā€™s been a total tire fire, how the hell is that possible.

I just had to read the comments. Sighā€¦

Receiver from Kapernickā€™s workout was signed by redskins. Great for guy but lol NFL.

My current thought process.

That or Jason Garrett in a wig and mustache.

Not sure if this is a hot take or not, but I donā€™t see anything at all wrong with what Ryan said.

1 Like

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything inherently wrong with it either, but I think it absolutely can be said with racist undertones and, knowing literally nothing about this guy, Iā€™m not really inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to anybody affiliated with the NFL in any way.

1 Like

I was about to say ā€œhm, maybe white quarterbacks should start wearing football-brown gloves and sleevesā€ and then realized there arenā€™t any white quarterbacks that run read-options. And then I realized that I guess thatā€™s the pointā€“he was subtly perpetuating a stereotype of black quarterbacks.

Itā€™s tough, because I actually think what he said is accurate (dark skin + dark jersey + dark football makes it harder to follow the ball), but Iā€™m not sure how he can say it without tipping into perpetuating that stereotype. Glad Iā€™m not in his position.

Iā€™m old enough to remember MNF hiring RUSH LIMBAUGH then being shocked and appalled when they had to fire him for going on the air and being a racist asshat.

5 Likes

This was like saying the best magicians are black bc their skin makes it easier to hide the coin or something.

Reference to a guyā€™s skin tone is out of bounds. He could have spoke about Lamarā€™s technique, or the size of his hands, or how quick he is and all of that would have been fair and to the point he was trying to make without being racisty.

1 Like

Hahaha I legit didnā€™t know (or had forgotten) that. This ESPN statement is so fucking perfect:

Limbaugh was ultimately fired for the blowback following a Sunday NFL Countdown segment from 2003, in which he tried to argue against the decision to start African-American quarterback Donovan McNabb, who he felt shouldnā€™t have been given any credit for his teamā€™s play. ā€œI think what weā€™ve had here is a little social concern from the NFL; I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,ā€ said Limbaugh, to a stunned panel that included two African-American analysts, one of whom, Tom Jackson, immediately fired back at Limbaugh.

The cameras quickly panned away from Limbaugh, with the other analystsā€”including three-time Super Bowl champion quarterback Steve Young, going to bat for McNabb.

At the time, ESPNā€˜s vice president of programming and production Mark Shapiro told Variety that ā€œRush is a great communicator and a fanā€™s fan. ā€¦His acute sense of whatā€™s on the minds of his listeners, combined with ability to entertain and serve as a lightning rod for lively discussion, makes him the perfect fit for this new role.ā€

From: Inside Rush Limbaugh's Short, Disastrous Stint at ESPN - InsideHook

1 Like

I get why he was suspended but heā€™s kinda right. Black ASL interpretors wear white shirts and white ASL interpretors wear black. The reason is so their hands ā€œstick outā€ when signing.

Itā€™s still a stupid thing to bring up on his part.

1 Like

Itā€™s not racist at all.

Ryan was simply stating (and as a radio guy itā€™s his job to use words to paint a clear picture of the situation to the listener) how Lamarā€™s skin tone may provide an advantage. Just like other unchangeable physical attributes like hand size and height.

Why is talking about someoneā€™s skin tone out of bounds but hand size isnā€™t? Both are unchangeable physical attributes.

Cmon you know thisā€“we havenā€™t had several hundred years of slavery and discrimination built around the size of peopleā€™s hands.

Though now that I think about it, Iā€™d be happy for that to start with Trump first in line.

2 Likes

Going to be honest I have never heard a player make the claim that a black qb makes it harder to see and at lower levels of football the read option has been super common forever.

I know playing football I never thought ā€œDang I cant see the football because that QB is football color.ā€

Seems like an observation that is completely inaccurate when put into practice.

The underlining issue is finding things to take away from a black qbā€™s hard work and skill.

He has an advantage because of this, not because he has put in the work necessary.

In a vacuum probably not a big deal but we donā€™t live in a vacuum.

itā€™s a fucking retarded nonsensical comment at the very best. the football isnā€™t black. lots of guys wear sleeves too and Iā€™ve never fucking heard anyone claim itā€™s an advantage to wear black sleeves.

If thereā€™s something to that, then lol players for no RB that Iā€™m aware of thinking of wearing football colored sleeves.

Letā€™s say you put Allen Robinson on the Patriots from his rookie season on. Is he one of the more amazing WRs ever?

1 Like

Worst Mitchell on TV since Sylviaā€™s dumb kid on Mad Men

1 Like