The National Football League

Who was the last one to come in and show immediate progress? Tuna? I think so

Well at least you know Flores wonā€™t stick around 1 day after his shelf life expires. One advantage of hiring a black coach - if they suck theyā€™re gone and donā€™t hang around forever like Jason Garrett.

I donā€™t know, man. I feel like if you lose to Jax, your shelf life has expired.

Drafting Tua isnā€™t on Flores

Thatā€™s on Grier. He sucks too.

well, Tua was better than Herbert in college

Tennessee is the most weird team ever, lose to the Jets 2 weeks later beat the Bills and nobody is really surprised about it, seems like this is what they always do every year.

Blocking for Henry has to feel a bit like blocking for Hester on the ST unit back in hesterā€™s prime, pumped about it knowing if you hold that block a little longer or do a little better job that might be what gets him to bust it.

2 Likes

Flores aside, Grier was doing a very good job of stockpiling draft picks for a rebuild. I donā€™t think theyā€™ve used those picks well, though. In particular, they seem to overvalue certain positions and end up getting the guy right after the tier at that position drops off, not long after it drops off. (Austin Jackson and Jaylen Waddle immediately come to mind.) Plus they do things like draft a cornerback in the first round when they have two highly-paid guys and then go and spend good money on a veteran slot corner. These are weirdly like opposite problems. Iā€™m definitely a BPA guy as opposed to keying on positions, but, you know, I do think itā€™s important for your early picks to draft players who might actually get playing time for you.

1 Like

Eagles are going to have 3 in the top ten if Indy sucks but still plays Wentz 75%.

Of course my Texans friend is certain they will trade all three for Watson.

I mean I canā€™t bitch about drafting Tua because I was actively calling for it and so were basically all of the people outside of Eugene, Oregon. I thought Herbert would bust like literally every other Oregon QB has and Iā€™m a fan boy so what?

I had no way of knowing that they had no intention of protecting whichever QB they drafted (Herbert would be the one wearing Kevlar with cracked ribs rn had he been drafted fwiw) and that the idiot coach would destroy his confidence last year and idiot GM wouldnā€™t put pieces in place to allow him to succeed.

I mean itā€™s just like this stupid bye week nonsense. A toddler could run a franchise better than this JFC

And I firmly believe that, had Herbert gone to Miami and Tua to the Chargers, their roles would have been exactly reversed and Weā€™d all be in here talking about what an idiot Grier was for not taking Tua like I fking told him to on Tweeter. Shit begats shit

Miami would have Joe Borrow on IR at this very moment bet your ass, same with Trevor

Iā€™m not really understanding how Waddle fits in here unless the Tier above Waddle consisted of exactly one player (i.e. Chase).

I still think Waddle was the wrong pick there. I donā€™t even think he was the best receiver on his college team. Although, Iā€™ll admit heā€™s doing better than I thought he would be.

Iā€™ve been saying this since draft day, but I think after a few years, weā€™ll all agree that the Dolphins picked the wrong teammate at the same position twice in the first round (Waddle > Smith and Phillips > Rousseau). Unfortunately weā€™ll never be sure. Part of the problem is that being a Dolphin makes you worse. Or as Melfi put it:

I donā€™t know about that. I think Tua was an objectively bad pick. I think his injury introduced too much risk and I donā€™t think top of the 1st round is the place to be making those kinds of gambles. Apparently, the Dolphins love that shit though (Jaelan and Jaylen are great examples).

Once they did draft Tua, I guess I tried to talk myself into thinking that it might work. But I definitely didnā€™t want Tua. Of course, I didnā€™t want Herbert either and I probably wanted him even less.

Well the scouts were mostly high on him at the time. He checked all the boxes, the (hip) injury wasnā€™t supposed to be an issue and has since proven not to be, not to mention HE IS A HIGH CHARACTER GUY YALL so itā€™s not like he was ever falling out of the top 10 or whatever. People were legit calling for them to Tank for Tua remember all that? :joy: I still think heā€™s got the makings of a varsity athlete with a proper line in front of him, but heā€™s literally never getting one in Miami.

I mean letā€™s face it, someone could clone Joe Montana and Miami could draft him and find a way to squander that pick. Itā€™s an institutional problem.

All this talk about the futile Dolphins seems so weird to me because as a kid, they were one of the model franchises, and the Pats could never beat them.

I agree that hip hasnā€™t been a problem, but that seems a bit results oriented, imo. The dude missed his entire senior season because of a devastating hip injury. Thatā€™s just massive risk and too much for that early in the round.

Chase and Pitts. Both rare pass-catching prospects. Waddle isnā€™t on their level (well, I think both the Alabama receivers are overrated).

Pitts seems like a bit of a stretch since he plays a different position. And as a TE, I think that puts him on an even higher tier. Basically I think the predraft difference between Pitts and Chase was greater than the difference between Chase and Waddle.

I do agree that theyā€™re both better than Waddle.