The National Football League

Damn. That is pretty insane.

Yes I should have clarified but obviously those NFL records are for QBs not overall

No worries. Iā€™m certain that no one was confused about that.

1 Like

Two hours to go and not cut yet, with two WR already cut by the Hawks. Looks like he could make the 53. Man I wanted the Pats to draft him and the guy we drafted instead got cut.

1 Like

1 Like

This is bad news for Camā€™s haberdasher.

I would have been fine if they kept Cam as starter for another year, but it was hard to envision him ever being an above average QB again. If it was at all close between him and McCorkle, it seems like better team building to start collecting data now on the young guy rather than spend more time on Cam.

(Most/all of the smarter Patriots beat guys thought McCorkle was better, anyway).

David Bakhtiari starting the season on the PUP list, so heā€™s out 6 weeks.

This is a tough call. There is also the school of thought that says that even if the rookie is more talented, you just let him sit for a year to really learn the system and reduce the chance that he goes down some vicious cycle of frustration and bad play that kills the rest of his career. Also reduces the chance of him just getting murdered out there.

Seemed to work great for Mahomes.

Dolphins kind of tried that with Tua. But in true Dolphin fashion, they half-measured it and probably ended up worse than if they had just started him from the beginning or played him behind Fitzmagic for a whole season.

should be enough for HoF consideration

If Cam Newton makes the HoF then Jamaal Charles sure as hell should.

1 Like

Consideration, maybe, but without a RANG, itā€™s tough as a QB. McNabb still isnā€™t in. Rivers has an uphill battle.

Iā€™m not a huge Rivers guy, but as the HOF is currently handled, he should be barely, but clearly in.

1 Like

I am fine with Newton getting into the HoF but I donā€™t think the HoF means very much anyway.

This seems like a high bar to clear. Could someone like Ben Roethlisberger clear it? Ignoring his off the field behavior I think he should clearly be in. Playing at the same time as Brady, Brees and Rodgers makes being top5 already really tough.

I know Mahomes gets brought up a lot as evidence to let QBs sit a year, but I think Smith was better than Cam at this point - at the least, Smithā€™s floor is higher based on what we saw from Cam last year.

And if Mahomes starts the first year, maybe KC doesnā€™t lose at home to TEN in the playoffs. Dude won MVP the next year. I wonder if you got Andy Reid meat drunk if heā€™d admit to wishing he started Mahomes from the jump.

I donā€™t think New England is a Super Bowl team, but they definitely spent like they want to be a playoff team this year - good OL, good Defense. Might as well go with the QB that has the higher ceiling (2021 Cam, not 2015).

Man, if this is the end, itā€™s time to pour one out for Shannon Penn and his Cam Newton soundboard

1 Like

Man I changed my mind on Cam going to the HoF after that

My take is if the rookie isnā€™t ready you give him one year, but if he is you throw him out there. A lot of the reason potentially good QBā€™s sit for a year is they play behind actual other good QBā€™s. Mahomes behind Smith. Rodgers behind Favre. If a guy has the talent heā€™ll make it eventually. But itā€™s a win now league so as soon as the old guy misses a throw the chants for the new guy come out. Whether this has the potential to hinder someoneā€™s development by potentially throwing them out there before they are ready is tough to know, because the counterfactual is hard to prove.

Watson sat behind some scrub so bad I canā€™t even remember his name and IIRC he only became starter after that guy got hurt.

itā€™s more of a personality thing/are they ready from college vs what your coordinator is trying to do wrt start right away or sit a year and yeah you can really fuck up a QB throwing him under the fire too early and ruin all confidence and all that.

thereā€™s too many things that go into it, Josh Allen sucked in college, sucked for two years in the NFL but through coaching and josh himself finally got there. You know the Jets wouldā€™ve been needing to add to the draft blunders video which god that video needs more additions again.

Some colleges offenses are far simpler than the NFL, though the NFL is moving toward college systems from needing to go from the get go.

Also your OL, if itā€™s the bengals or brand new, might want to let the vet take the beatdowns at first

There have been plenty of 1st Round QBs that sat like Mahomes and stunk. Jake Locker, Johnny Football, Paxton Lynch, Rex Grossman, Jason Campbell. I think Jamarcus Russell sat but he was also a holdout.

Iā€™m sure there are some guys where it helps, and some where it doesnā€™t. Ultimately, if a guy can play, he can play. I doubt that sitting Mahomes is what made him into an MVP in his second year.

But we can agree to disagree, certainly weā€™ll never know!