The National Football League

I’m the same way with the Chiefs - eternal optimist. I thought we were going to be good the year we went 2-14. I cannot be trusted to accurately gauge any Chiefs-related prospects.

I can see being that way with the Chiefs as they haven’t really sucked for long stretches (as far as I can remember). With the Browns on the other hand, I don’t see how one isn’t just an eternal pessimist instead. That’s how I am. With my Dolphins I always assume all prospects suck. Furthermore, once they leave the Dolphins they are likely to get the environment and coaching they need to reach their potential. I’ve been pretty spot on for over 2 decades.

Even if it was a horseshoe, I don’t get why this dude is so excited about it.

There were some pretty dark days between Marty and Reid - punctuated by one magical season with Vermeil that still ended in a first round bye/playoff loss.

But for the most part I always looked at the upside of all our prospects. My first post ever on a Chiefs message board (not chiefsplanet, scout.com or something) was an impassioned plea for Damon Huard over whatever other piece of dreck he was fighting for the starting job.

Apparently I was arguing for Huard over Brody Croyle. Or maybe even Tyler Thigpen. I really thought Huard was going to be the answer.

Hence I can never be trusted with evaluating Chiefs. I can look at another team’s Damon Huard and instantly tell he’s worthless. Just not with my team.

Yeah, I’ve got the same problem in reverse. If they’re on the Dolphins they’re worthless. On another team, I can evaluate them more objectively.

Trey Smith was a 1st round player that fell to the 2nd/3rd round in mocks because of medical issues. He fell from there to the end of the 6th because of the same medical issues. Dude played his senior season and is an absolute mauler who can pass block in the interior pretty well as a converted left tackle.

If he’s healthy he could easily be a perennail pro bowl guard so I don’t think he should have fallen that far

The Chiefs nerd podcast guys were super excited about him. They always like home run swings vs. role player guys in the later rounds.

But they did say he’d pancake a guy one rep, then make a weird boneheaded mistake that a 4-year starter should never make on the next rep. So maybe the Chiefs can coach him up. He seems motivated and his teammates love him.

fraternity thing or good luck or he wanted to be drafted by the Colts or…?

Justin Fields misses throws on more wide open guys five yards in front of him than anyone I’ve seen

except maybe Paxton Lynch

Before you asked if I know what it means. Yes, horseshoes are lucky.

After you asked if I know what it means. Uh, why? Probably not if it’s worth asking about.

It’s the black fraternity Omega Psi Phi brand.

no, it’s lululemon

1 Like

After 7 rounds of drafting how can anybody still write an article “the best undrafted rookies free agents” or something similar like that. The value of these players must be close to nothing.

1 Like

I think most teams start at least one undrafted player.

The UDFA rush is a massive crapshoot. I think typically teams bring like 15 to 20 of them to camp, and most of the time at least a couple make the 53 man after a good preseason showing. It’s just a numbers game at that point. The talent starts to really thin out once you get to the 5th or 6th round of the draft. Generally 1st-4th rounders are roster locks, 5th rounders usually make it, but by the 6th and 7th round your spot on the team is far from guaranteed. It’s better than being undrafted, but you’ll be fighting against some UDFAs for a spot.

But inevitably a few players with 3rd or 4th round grades from Mel Kiper go undrafted and the media acts like signing them is some sort of franchise altering event, even though 32 teams passed on them in the 7th round opting instead to draft kickers and division 2 tight ends. They often never see the field. Beau Benzschawel was a guy that was thought of as a 1st rd. talent going into the 2018 NCAA season. He had a weak senior year, fell out of the draft, and has been kicking around practice squads for a few years. If he was really a 3rd round talent, he’d have gotten his chance by now.

Tony Romo

Nah. Some people have unusual paths. Antonio Gates played basketball. Kurt Warner bagged groceries. Dick “Night Train” Lane worked in an airplane manufacturing plant.

Then you’ve got the stereotypical white guy who can’t run or bench like Wes Welker and Wayne Chrebet. Quarterbacks like Warren Moon whose dark skin tone wasn’t offset by being a dual threat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/1389264984958504968

regarding UDFA lists being lol, well let’s test it googled for 2018 and clicked the first one that popped up of top 20 UDFA’s after the 2018 nfl draft so let’s find out are they still in the league or not?

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/04/2018-nfl-draft-top-20-undrafted-players-free-agents-where-they-signed

#19/20–nothing

#18 was going to be a nothing but he did well enough in the AAF got some games with washington this season and is now in the league

#17 4 career games

#16 25 games in 3 seasons not bad still in the league (not with original team that signed him)

#15 nope

#14 10 career games, opted out of 2020 for covid reasons, still technically in the league

#13-11 never played in the NFL

#10 Allen Lazard some packers WR you throw in fantasy leagues for a week due to byes only to see Scantling go for 200 yards despite dropping 7 passes

#9 8 games in the NFL

#8 J.C. Jackson how do the Pats do this shit, clear mega hit has started 22 games for the pats

#7 cut in 2018, spent awhile on panthers PS in 19, never played in the NFL

#6 started 8 games for the Browns in 2018, they got tired of shit and cut him the next offseason, the cards signed him and then cut him due to his arrest, currently suspended for the 2021 season because I don’t know he hasn’t been in the league and he’s still getting suspended

#5 lasted two weeks, not in the NFL, he was signed after the draft and cut in two weeks and never was seen again

#4 is, sort of, has constantly bounced around, played in the XFL, is on the lions. he’ll get cut before week 1 tho. 6 career games only one with first team that signed him

#3 Holton Hill currently a FA suspended a lot (probably why he didn’t get drafted and isn’t on a team now), but 28 games with 6 starts in 3 seasons for the vikings–success

#2 3 career games out of the league
#1, article states the rams got a massive steal so obviously he got cut before week 1 4 career games in the NFL, all of them at the end of this season with the Steelers. Took awhile but maybe?

Final results, a few guys in the end might get there, one guy was a big hit, a few could’ve been but off field shit rest LOL

How does the hit rate on UDFAs compare to late rounds though? I doubt there’s much difference between say a 5th rounder and a UDFA in terms of ability. Just that the 5th rounder has more playing opportunity because the team committed a pick while the UDFA can be cut with little penalty