The National Football League

The Dolphins are now set to move on from four of their top 2020 free-agent signings – linebackers Kyle Van Noy and Shaq Lawson, Flowers and running back Jordan Howard – in one season or less

lol free agency again

1 Like

Best pure FB in the draft.

1 Like

Darryl Green - Kick-returner

4 Likes

I mean seriously the Lions QB was Gary Danielson who had 10 TD and 14 Int in five starts and they were like yeah let’s go get that fullback. Four QBs taken after their pick, two pure HoF with potential to completely alter the course of the franchise and two other guys who would have been improvements. (I looked up Eason’s stats and dude actually had a lot of promise early, no idea what happened to him.)

Ken O’Brien-Angered Jets fans.

2 Likes

It’s a little before my time as a Pats fan, but my understanding is he broke down physically. He took a lot of sacks and they took a toll on him.

I’ll sometimes throw on an old game while I work. I put on the Bears-Patriots Super Bowl. Walter Payton fumbles on the first drive and the announcers say something like that’s how the Patriots got here, “16 turnovers in the first 3 playoff games”

That seems impossible, but:

Wildcard Round v Jets = 4
Divisional Round v Oakland = 6
AFC Championship v Miami = 6

Never knew - on the Bears 4th drive, Refrigerator Perry took a pitch and had a halfback option. Ate it for a sack.

1 Like

I think Tannenbaum is secretly still running things

Hoo boy did anyone else catch the (current) still reunion photos of the Various Sopranos castmembers on GMFB this morning? Idkwtf happened but David Chase should probably be sued class-action style. Edie Falco and the Sopranos kids are the only remotely fuckable-looking ones of the lot. The rest all look more like corpses than Gandolfini. Chrissy looks like he lapped Joe Pesci in age. I know it’s been a few years but my god :cry:

1 Like

I was alive then but first game I remember anything from is some terrible packers vs bucs game in 89 that I think GB kicked a gw fg at the end of.

I’d watch anything back then.

saw the bears raiders game from that era a year ago, and man the packers were dirty as **** back then

if the bears don’t play the dolphins, they go unbeaten that year and they easily could’ve lost to them twice. pats was quite the fortunate upset so it turned into the obvious giant beatdown

NFL is fickle like that sometimes

1 Like

The Bears released this video in the middle of their 1985 season. If a team did this today, the internet would explode.

3 Likes

All but one of those QBs at least was productive for a while. :(

Eason was skinny and tiny, back then you were allowed to kill the qb so most qbs had to be 220-240 pounds to withstand the hits. I’m talking later hits being allowed and striking the head with the crown of your helmet, landing with full body weight on them, etc.

Taking a FB back then wasn’t unique, fullbacks were just power halfbacks. They lined up and ran the ball the same as a halfback, but were called fullbacks because they were bigger and used more in short yardage. Sometimes they were the lead blocker, but the highly drafted ones were just big halfbacks.

Ugggh, Dan knew how to destroy the Bears defense which was just blitz every down and Dan would have gotten his super bowl if not for the massive 6 TO AFC championship game.

this was also right after they lost MNF espn talking heads would’ve exploded

1 Like

the bears raiders game I was talking about earlier

all the QB’s got murdered

also concussion = you got sent back in the game what a great era that was

also it was just a unique matchup bears weakest part of that d was secondary and dolphins strength was WR’s with marino having the quickest release ever so he’d get the ball out before bears could get there

Bears would’ve done better on offense in round 2 though, Steve Fuller played most of that MNF loss. He wasn’t good.

It was not that long ago where you would see guys get knocked out cold on the field and then be back in a few plays later.

Even in high school you were allowed back in with a mild concussion, where mild = you didn’t lose consciousness and can tell how many fingers the trainer holds up. I took one shot that took me a while to get up from, I had trouble finding the sideline, and everything changed color. I have this weird memory of white grass with green lines painted on it. I missed a series.

1 Like

Do/did you notice any permanent effects?

I used to have a coworker who played in high school and said that one time he had no memory of the 4th quarter after the game was over.

You weren’t asking me, and I have no evidence to back this up, but I assume high school football concussions have contributed to my poor memory and low attention span in adulthood. I would not let my kid play football at all.

I don’t have any personal stories of blacking out games but have plenty of stories of repeated head hits and leading-with-the-helmet being encouraged by coaches.

1 Like