The National Football League

The way we were taught to tackle was to put our helmet in the guys midsection. That was the only bad hit to the head I took (I really just landed hard on my head). I felt off for a couple days. Like a hangover where your head is cloudy.

Punter or Kicker?

Those are safer but could still have some hard hits on returns. If they wanted to punt or kick I’d consider it but would prefer they pursue other sports regardless.

Also this reminds me of a funny (?) anecdote. We were taught the same thing, and to put our helmets downfield if tackling someone at an angle. I very briefly played rugby after college, having never played before. In one of my first practices we were doing tackling drills and instincts kicked in when pursuing a dude at an angle and I took an knee to my unprotected head when the guy tried to juke my tackle. Never put my head downfield after that.

Going to the draft:
I’ve strongly felt for a while that Atlanta will trade down, they have major holes and their pick is very valuable, Ryan still has 2-4 years left so them picking a qb doesn’t make a ton of sense. They are waiting until they are on the clock since no one knows who SF will pick and different teams will offer more or less based on that. Atlanta trading is more likely if SF does pick Mac Jones which I think is a smokescreen.

I think the dream scenario for my Dolphins would actually be SF taking McCorkle and Atlanta taking Pitts, Cincy not trading so that Miami could trade down more and get a lot for it since teams will want Lance or Fields. I think this is better than the number two option of getting Pitts. Lance and Fields are both going in the top 9, possibly top 8 even if Jones is taken #3

The 85 Bears were so fucking good that I, as a young Packers fan, rooted for them. Now, the disclaimers are that I was still single-digits, so I was dumb, the Packers were always bad during my childhood, so they were no fun, and my mom grew up in Chicago and was a Bears fan. I also loved Walter Payton, but who didn’t?

Naturally, I grew out of it, but I still like that Bears team (also, I didn’t actually root AGAINST the Packers, I just liked both teams). My mom is an even better person and eventually lost her loyalty to the Bears and Chicago teams and became a full-fledged Wisconsin sports fan.

the current SF brass gives no ****s about draft boards (they had soloman thomas 2, reuben foster 3 in the trubisky year, just wasn’t anyone good in that draft to pick at the top of it I guess

they dgaf if the players they want actually have any talent, its fascinating. That’s why nobody knows, they’re capable of the dumbest shit.

I have been very much torn between “no way a team is dumb enough to trade 3 first-round picks to take Mac Jones” and “given the way the 49ers have drafted under Lynch and Shanahan, they absolutely are dumb enough to do that.”

The 49ers took Joe Williams off their board entirely and then in the 4th round Shanahan suddenly started pounding the table for him so they drafted him. Never played a game.

Apparently the only QB Shanahan liked in 2017 was C.J. Beathard.

Mac Trubisky would be a ridiculous pick but the 49ers just might be dumb enough to do it.

Shanahan is an irascible douche like his daddy.

Doesn’t Aikman claim to basically have zero memory of one of his SB wins? That’s scary shit.

4 Likes

I don’t watch college football and never have opinions on any draft pick (other than the Patriots should have taken Lamar over Sony Michel). I’m just excited for face melting decisions tomorrow night. Destroy everyone’s hopes and dreams, terror up and down the draft board.

I think the Chiefs already won the draft. Ol Zeus seems awesome. It’s always interesting to see teams try to maximize current windows, versus the Patriots old strategy of always extending the window. I think the Chiefs are kind of trying to thread the needle between the two, with Brown being so young - similar to the Frank Clark trade (I know that one hasn’t worked out as well as hoped).

I don’t know enough to know what a facemelter would be.

Also, it seems that the broadcasters don’t insult teams much for their picks anymore. Kinda lame.

Before the one at 6:45, Moss had a 35yd touchdown against the same guys in coverage (too short to be included in the video). 10 years later we had this great tweet:
https://twitter.com/CamWorrell/status/893521502896664576

Crime that we were robbed of Brady-Moss in 2008. Dammit Sammy Morris.

3 Likes

Anything that makes the fans or draftniks mad. Basically think every Jets draft pick. I just follow along on Twitter.

The 49ers not picking a QB in the 1st round would melt my face.

But that’s not gonna happen. Barring any trade ups, the first three picks are gonna be QBs. It’s the most obvious thing about this draft.

Hell even if there are trade ups in the top 3, they are likely for QBs

feels like this is gonna be the most exciting draft in years

for me it’s so hard picking for the 9ers because the dumbest thing they can do (mac) and the think I think they will do (lance) aren’t the same thing. the 9ers are at least when it comes to the draft, absolute idiots

I picked them because of a very key filter for them, who looks the most like kirk cousins?

Teddy Bridgewater to Broncos for a sixth-round pick. Panthers eating a fair bit of salary too from what I can tell.

Teddy Bridgewater vs Drew Lock QB competition?

Or is Bridgewater the man? It’s not that much of an upgrade.