The National Football League

Agreed. Everybody’s paying through the nose for QBs. Would not have guessed that Darnold fetches more than a 2nd rounder.

That’s a lot to give up for another young barely starter level QB.

Guess the Panthers decided that they wouldn’t have a chance at a first round caliber QB and tried to get anything they could.

Good night, sweet prince.

2 Likes

It’s a lose-lose, since the Panthers give up all the picks, and the Jets are a mortal lock to use them to draft three guys that play a total of like 20 downs in their careers. And Darnold is, well, Darnold.

It sounds like the owner was pushing for an upgrade at QB, and it’s rarely good when the owner gets involved. I’m guessing the Panthers didn’t like their chances of moving up in the draft and didn’t like who they thought would still be available at 8.

Hard to say what the Gase Effect was and how much getting out of it might help Darnold. I think the talent is there but I have no idea if he has too many bad habits or is too broken by now to be fixable. He’s still young, though, not even 24 until June.

If Carolina can rehab his career that’s peanuts to pay for a franchise QB, and he costs nothing against the cap this year.

Year 4 seems somewhat defining for a QB. Its when Drew Brees emerged. There’s not toomany success stories after that.

I am excited for the draft…if only for it to finally be over. The Bengals fanbase is annoying me right now with this Sewell/Chase debate nonsense. At this point I’m praying ATL drafts one of them so we don’t have to have the stupid debate over the entire regular season, as well.

to me the answer is obvious. We need OL, we have good receivers. No brainer.

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1379189000716574729?s=21

1 Like

Aaron Rodgers talking about wanting to host jeopardy full time, heart isn’t set on football, gotta release him now packers that’s how this works right

Bridgewater isn’t bad but he’s not a top 10 guy so NFL don’t care.

Mac Jones #3 overall

are we in smoke season

because when you have a QB who throws to two top 12 WR’s in the NFL draft you have to be damn sure they are just 2nd rounders he made look ridic good to take him #3 overall. and I mean damn sure

Unless someone hired @PocketChads to be their GM and got the better part of a 6 pack in him, I just don’t see this actually happening.

1 Like

You figure Wilson is #2 overall, so that means SF traded up for 1 of: Fields, Lance, Jones. They all feel like poor value this early in the draft. Although I have no idea what goes into the calculus of deciding between Garoppollo + elite WR in the draft vs. one of those 3 prospects. It seems like the pendulum has swung towards go all-in on a QB and to hell with everything else. It’s brilliant if you land a top 10 starter but the odds of that are pretty low. You went to a SB with Jimmy G. I know he has his flaws, but imagine George Kittel and Kyle Pitts lined up opposite each other. With a decent O-Line i’m pretty sure I could throw for 4000 yards.

Thing is that even backup QBs are 10M+ per year these days. First overall pick this year is probably gonna average 10 million per year for four years. That’s insane value even for a mediocre starting quarterback.

It’s why we’re probably going to see a trend of more QBs going early in the draft as time goes on.

Personally I’m not as high on Wilson as the league seems to be. Too many potential red flags for a late bloomer who ate shit when he had to play good teams.

I rank them Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Jones-- and I don’t think Corky should be a day-1 pick either.

Not even that much-- all the slots are set, we know what they are. #1 overall will get just under $35 million for four years.

Oh yeah forgot about the salary cap reduction.

Heh, yeah, I didn’t even check Burrow’s contract first, I just went straight for the 2021 numbers, but Burrow got a little over $36 million on his deal.

They did what the ravens of 2000 did, realized their QB isn’t good enough to get them back there. You can’t rely on all the other stuff year to year (as a bears fan I know this first hand, we have some monster out of nowhere year where the D crushes get close to winning a SB or getting there everyone’s like oh man all we need is a new insert position such as kicker–then it’s immediately back to shit or 8-8) Successful QB is the only sustainable winning in this game.

Those ravens were right but it didn’t work out.

It’s also funny that about none of the trading up into the top 10 was anything other than a bust, but right after it has some hits. (I guess allen counts but man he was rough those first two seasons)

That’s right-- for all the “defense wins championships” talk, it’s simply too high-variance year-to-year to rely on it for even getting back to the playoffs. Passing offense is the most consistent stat year to year, and that starts with the QB.

I feel like Michael McCorkle Jones’ upside is basically Kirk Cousins, and it took four years for Kirk Cousins to become Kirk Cousins. That doesn’t strike me as a guy you trade three firsts for.

There are other indicators that worry me. Jones threw a huge percentage of his passes at or behind the line of scrimmage, and more than half of his passes came off play-action or RPOs. All that indicates to me that he got a lot of schematic help.

Analytically speaking-- if he’s so good, why was he behind Tua Tagovailoa for three years when they came to Alabama at the same time? The guy who was the man for two years-plus getting picked lower than the guy who backed him up seems silly to me on its face, unless you really think Saban is that bad at evaluating his own QBs. Me, I’m always, always wary of one-season senior wonders.