The National Football League

Possibly. At least a decade ago teams were willing to put up with some pretty horrible behavior if you were a top tier player. Ben Roethlisberger, Michael Vick, and Ray Lewis all had pretty significant careers after their various scandals. If they had been backup grade players they would have been cut the next day and no teams would even bother with the distraction.

Although in the last 5 years or so we are seeing careers of pretty powerful men ended by their victims coming forward, and that would never have happened even 10 years ago. Although most of those careers are in media and entertainment, which is a much less meritocratic environment than the NFL. Iā€™d like to believe that banishment of men who commit sex crimes is coming from a place of moral responsibility, and not just a long term money decision in a new environment where they become financial liabilities. Watson will be a major test case to see how teams are going to handle things of this matter going forward. I suspect heā€™s done in Houston, will eat some sort of significant suspension, and may even miss the 2021 season altogether, but likely lands somewhere else as a full time starter in 2022.

Iā€™m wondering if some of these were already rub and tug types. One of the masseuses he got somewhere, then got again on instagram. She said he assaulted her both times but didnā€™t realize the second time was him until she showed up. Do normal non happy-ending masseuses advertise on IG? I guess maybe.

Like maybe these are sex workers but he still got off on harassing them and not paying for sex or something. I donā€™t think thereā€™s nothing there, but it just seems weird.

We could get pretty far off into the weeds on this one. Thereā€™s now 14 accusers I think? If it was just him trying to turn a massage into something more, you would think after the first 13 times of it not working, maybe youā€™d stop? Iā€™ve only read a couple articles, but it sounds like this is more of a Weinstein/Louis CK type situation where he exposes himself and then goes further in front of women who arenā€™t expecting it and didnā€™t consent.

I have no idea how the massage industry operates and how many places/masseuses are legitimate vs. sex workers. I imagine itā€™s pretty terrible if you just want to be a legitimate masseuse and you constantly have men trying for more, and it sounds like Watson went a step further than just asking.

1 Like

We are only hearing about the times it didnā€™t work. Most likely he was doing this very often, and quite possible many of the women were fine with providing a happy ending for extra $.

It doesnā€™t sound like he raped them, but exposed himself without consent and then tried to coerce them into the happy ending. This might be fine (although sketchy) if he were going to places that specialized in this (like Kraft), but it sounds like he was having random people come to his place for a massage and assuming all were sex workers.

Yeah that sounds right.

https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1374390291109572619

Well this gives some pretty good details about his MO. Dude is in deep shit. What a scumbag.

Watsonā€™s lawyer and his marketing manager finally made a couple of statements anyway. Iā€™m not saying this proves or disproves anything, just passing along whatā€™s out there.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Deshaun-Watson-subject-of-30-000-blackmail-16047634.php

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/amp/Deshaun-Watson-s-good-guy-label-means-nothing-16047195.php?__twitter_impression=true

And the sad part is that such optical maneuvers could help Watson get away with what heā€™s accused of, whether he and his people stick to their current approach or shift to a different one. The NBA literally changed its All-Star Game rules to honor the legacy of Kobe Bryant, who was not only credibly accused of raping a woman but then worked with Nike ā€” the sponsor that stood by him ā€” to build a brand persona out of those accusations once Kobeā€™s lawyer had savaged the victimā€™s reputation. Kobe has essentially been beatified since his death. Watson could try using that same playbook. Or, like Antonio Brown, he could go into temporary career purgatory and still come out the other side with a Super Bowl ring. Thereā€™s no one way to be a sā€”tbag.

1 Like

ā€œAt first, I thought it was just one or two liars trying to ruin a great athleteā€™s life, but itā€™s clearly much deeper than that. Iā€™d be naĆÆve at this point if I didnā€™t admit that a massive, potentially satanic operation was responsible for these assault claims. Thereā€™s simply no other explanation.ā€

4 Likes

When DeShaun heard the Access Hollywood tape, he smiled and nodded in agreement.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1375493884323708931

3 firsts gotta be a quarterback

so whoever who isnā€™t wilson/lawrence they really like or LOL them or just assuming one of them is at their pick because the Jets wil ljets it

QB/QB/QB/QB? draft now

also the Tunsil trade is now four first round picks

Holy shit! What the hell are they doing??? 3 first round picks!?! There is like one QB worth that much and I doubt Patrick Mahomes is going to a) be in the draft and b) available as the 3rd pick.

2 Likes

itā€™s pretty simple they think the team is a QB away and they donā€™t like jimmy g.

Yeah, I mean, on the one hand, Iā€™m a bit sad that the Niners arenā€™t deluding themselves into starting Jimmy G again, but on the other, hooooooo boy is that a lot to give up.

They also need to fix the secondary, improve the OL and maybe get a true WR1(*). Instead they continue their strategy of paying out the nose for a promising but unproven QB.

(*) TBF Samuel, Aiyuk or Bourne could all be that guy but they are not quite there yet.

This could be mitigated if some team is willing to give a first round pick for Garoppolo but I donā€™t see that happening.