The National Football League

Straight clown made me laugh.

Yeah, the generous interpretation is something like ā€œIā€™ve been seeing protests since 1968 and nothingā€™s gotten better; we need action.ā€ I think his actual words could lend support to that idea, although Iā€™m not entirely certain.

ā€œI think your responsibility is to take action. I donā€™t know if protest is an action,ā€ Arians told reporters, according to the NFL Network.

ā€œI think each guy has a personal thing. I would beg [them] to take action. Find a cause and either support it financially or do something to change the situation. Because protesting doesnā€™t do crap in my opinion. Iā€™ve been seeing it since 1968.ā€

Heā€™s kind of going three ways there. He says heā€™s not sure if protesting is an action. Then he says he doesnā€™t think it does ā€˜crapā€™. Protesting is absolutely considered a direct action, so heā€™s wrong about that. Itā€™s just that the effect of that direct action sometimes doesnā€™t end up where people hope or takes a very long time to succeed (usually most successful when economics are threatened). He then goes on to say what each person does is a personal thing and has a very loose definition of action.

If a personā€™s movement to direct action is protest, thatā€™s their personal decision. If a personā€™s movement is to running for office, thatā€™s their personal decision. If their movement is trying to get out the vote, thatā€™s their personal decision. I think about the least direct action you can take is donating to a behemoth organization like The Red Cross. A good donating direct action is to find an established organization that you can tell is doing very good things in something important to you but doesnā€™t have enough funding to do more.

Iā€™m interpreting his statement charitably that he means he thinks they should do real direct action, but a wildcat strike is absolutely inside direct action no matter how small of a change it creates. Thatā€™s also a major form of protest. More than anything, I think he quickly realized he was stepping on a third rail and could be misinterpreted. Then he started realizing that he could be seen as criticizing his players for not doing enough, so he walked that back. Then he went back to the original bad wording and made it sound more like he thought direct action meant more than protests, even though protests are direct action. Itā€™s a pretty confusing statement to me, but definitely think itā€™s possibly more correct to give him the charitable interpretation.

1 Like

Yannick Ngakoue dealt to the vikes for only a 2nd + a 5th that could be a 3rd (one year left on his deal, he also agrees to take a 5.8M pay cut, also itā€™s worse than this, given FL has no income tax and MN does.

so if you wondered how bad the jaguars are, theyā€™re so bad a player willingly gave up at least 6 million dollars and FL weather to MNā€™s weather just to get the hell out of there.

What is going on down there?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1300407877841162246

Easier to go 0-16 with less talent.

Lol jags

This could be the first legit tank attempt in league history

Although if you are going to tank might not be a bad idea to choose this season given the uncertainty. But stillā€¦

Isnā€™t the draft going to have much more uncertainty than it usually does? Or are colleges actually playing football this year?

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1300410293890285569

Iā€™m surprised more teams donā€™t tank. Can you even win a Super Bowl in todayā€™s game without an elite QB?

The Patriots won 6

13 Likes

Teams might actually end up drafting smarter because theyā€™ll have to lean on guys who played well as freshmen and sophomores instead of jumping onto one-year-wonder 22-year-old seniors.

Tankingā€™s just not really realistic in the NFL. The Dolphins ā€œtankedā€ last year and still finished with the #5 pick.

Tanking gets you the #1 pick, or a very high one. Patrick Mahomes was not picked #1, or even the first QB chosen.
It doesnā€™t matter how bad you are if you pick Trubisky over Mahomes.

Fu poniedddd

Kamara is holding out now apparently. So happy I got him and Fournette in a draft last week!

Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Aaron Rodgers
Lamar Jackson
Dak Prescott
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Russell Wilson

none of them were picked before the 10th pick in the NFL draft and so many of them fell because of incredibly stupid reasons. Nobody can tackle lamar, well we really donā€™t want a guy like that to have the ball in his hands every play.

basically if your team is so bad you think about tanking your GM is too stupid to pick anyone good anyway.

The Jags picked a non receiver running back over Mahomes/Watson because they had Blake Bortles.

The other issue with tanking is the coaches and players canā€™t tank as theyā€™re all trying to get another job in a not for long industry. Other sports this is a bit easier, ie one star in basketball is huge because itā€™s 5 on 5.

Baseball itā€™s stupid, few are so slam dunk with all the minor league filters that weed out a bunch of them before you get to the majors.

1 Like

Almost a Full Browns

I was wondering how often the number one overall pick was a QB franchise maker. Obviously further analysis would look at the first group of picks to see if a transcendent qb was just below the surface. I am too lazy for that.

Going back in time, we have kyler Murray but it is too soon to pass a verdict on him.

First maybe is Andrew Luck. Then Cam Newton. They both have many reasons as to why they are not slam dunks. I do think Luck remains in the conversation.

Then we go to Eli in 2004. Results oriented thinking demand Eli be counted. I hate Eli so pfft. Would you really want to tank for the next Eli?

1998, now we are talking. The first slam dunk qb with tanking for was only 22 years ago and Eliā€™s older brother Peyton.

Next to 1989 and Troy Aikman. This is a bit results oriented as well so not sure he is a slam dunk. He was really good and a winner, but was he transcendent?

1983 and our second sure fire slam dunk, John Elway.

1970, Terry Bradshaw. 4 rings, but results oriented and not a slam dunk.

Go back to 1936 and nothing.

So in 85 drafts, there were two slam dunk, transcendent qbs that went overall number 1.

Definitely seems dumb to tank for the top pick.

List from wiki so you can have your own fun.

I donā€™t think the Jaguars are tanking. I think they are just downright terribly managed. If their first year ever dropping to #1 means that the consolation is Trevor Lawrence who will be the highest graded skill position player on every teamā€™s board at the end of the seasonā€¦that seems fine. I rather that than a year that a FCS QB is the best rated.

As far as evaluations, the NFL teams will do just fine. Colleges have already been sending practice tapes to NFL teams.

https://twitter.com/jazayerli/status/1300593739484876800

https://twitter.com/jazayerli/status/1300595121663217667