The National Football League

I need to come up with evidence that a tackle counts as a hit?

My eye taste says unanimous MVP Lamar doesn’t really take hits cuz he’s so shifty.

1 Like

Your entire case so far has been rhetorical questions.

Has it?

1 Like

Jackson is an elite running QB who you’d presumably like to stick around for a nice 15-year career. I’m not really interested in comparing an elite QB to a shitty pocket QB who will be a backup or out of the league in 3 years, no matter how many hits he takes or doesn’t take. So I compared him to Bardy - an elite pocket QB.

There is just no way Jackson takes less hard hits than Brady. ggoreo’s stat about Jackson running OOB 38% of the time is LDO. I’d actually have guessed a little higher. Of course QBs are looking to run OOB. No one thinks every run ends in a tackle in bounds.

Maybe Jackson takes as many hard hits as Mahomes. You could convince me of that. And I can also guarantee you the Chiefs will be looking to taper Mahomes’ running way down over the next 5 years in order to prolong his career.

This was exactly why Barry Sanders was rarely injured despite carrying an entire team on his back for a decade.

I’ll just reiterate that your argument amounts to “This makes sense to me, so it’s true.”

Which you’re certainly free to believe, but it’s not terribly convincing. Lots of things that seem to make sense on the surface aren’t true in reality.

Curtis Martin missed 8 games in 11 seasons and he just ran straight into the line. Some dudes don’t get hurt, genetics and luck.

1 Like

Seems like the average sack is pretty gentle these days.

Every time Mahomes got rocked it was running the ball.

This all started because I said “Do you agree that a running QB takes more hits than Tom Brady?”

My point was you should compare elite to elite. Not elite running QB to Matt Cassel. I stand by that and I’m really not sure how I got dragged into all of the rest of this.

But I still don’t want Mahomes running it as much as he had except for big 4th downs and playoffs. People are going to be gunning for him. I still don’t know how this hit in the Superbowl didn’t send his kneecap into the 3rd row.

No thank you please. The dude hit Mahomes knee with his helmet so hard it knocked him woozy.

Jackson is a better runner so he may be better at avoiding those hits.

How much did Steve Young keep running throughout his career? He’s the only elite running QB I can think of who seems like he didn’t stop running.

Do Godgers and Wilson run as much as they used to? If so then I take that back.

Just takes one hit too. We want a narrative, but this stuff is almost completely random.

1 Like

Looking back on things, the elite RBs of my childhood just didn’t get hurt. Sanders, Smith, Martin, they just didn’t miss games. Is this because RBs are so dependent on bursts of speed that a major injury tends to end their career Bo Jackson-style? I did see Willis McGahee’s knee fall ten yards away from him in college and he still made a career of it.

This has to be at least mostly true. NFL running back careers are short on average. We tend to remember the outliers for obvious reasons because they lasted longer.

It’s not a coincidence that the NFL contracts most likely to end up being mistakes are the ones that pay top dollar to RBs.

Lower body injuries in RBs always carry a potential career ending possibility. Unless you’re a freak like Adrian Peterson who’s 2000 yard MVP season, occured eight months after tearing his ACL and MCL.

Yeah, on that note, I think there’s a good argument that guys like Jackson (and someone also mentioned Barry Sanders) have the combination of athleticism and processing speed that they manage to largely avoid hard hits, but also when they take unexpected hits, they can bend and give better than lesser athletes and thus avoid injury.

2 Likes

I know there are a lot of shitty NFL owners but Dan Snyder has to be near the top of that list

Is he not unquestionably #1 or am I forgetting somebody?

I don’t know all the owners so I’m slightly hedging

Mike Brown

1 Like

They’re all shit to some degree. Biggest shit is between Brown and Snyder, though.

The other major candidates all either died (Bob McNair, Bill Bidwell) or were forced out (Jerry Richardson) in the last couple of years. I suppose you could make a weak argument for Jimmy Haslem, but he doesn’t have quite the body of work. Woody Johnson, Stan Kroenke and Dean Spanos are on a lower tier.