The National Football League

Lamar Jackson is gonna have a very short prime. Eventually, he’s gonna take too many hits and once he can’t run he’ll be an average at best starterr.

Never thought Bill would go for it but fuck it I’m in. Sign me up for $cam.

What evidence do you have for this other than Conventional Wisdom About Running Quarterbacks?

Doesn’t Tua have a busted hip? I’m no doctor but that seems like a ticking time bomb to me.

Jackson’s got a long way to go to develop Wilson’s passing accuracy.

I’m referring not to injuries but just wear and tear that comes from each hit.

Again, do you have any evidence besides Conventional Wisdom About Running Quarterbacks? Do you even have evidence Lamar Jackson takes a particularly high number of hits?

Do you agree that a running QB takes more hits than Tom Brady?

Depends on how many sacks the team gives up

Maybe accuracy under pressure then. Jackson has that weird thing where he can flick it 40 yards down the center of the field on a dime, but struggles with a 15-yard out.

Why do you use a specific player in one point of the comparison and a generic one in the next?

Asking the question in this format overlooks the meaningful measures of what a “hit” is, what kind of hits tend to injure players, whether a player tends to stand tall and take hits or is good at getting out of bounds / sliding to avoid contact, etc. in order to make a statement that sounds good on the surface but may not hold up when you dig into it.

In other words, let me ask it this way: Do you agree that a player getting blindsided on a sack is taking a harder hit than a player running the football who can see the defender coming at him and moves to avoid head-on contact?

I’m seeing 26 rushing attempts for Brady and 176 for Jackson.

Ah yeah, I just looked at rushing attempts for the regular season on their player pages. 176 for Lamar, 26 for Brady. (Not sure if that counts kneeldowns or how the NFL records those in the boxscore now-- didn’t college change them recently?)

Sure a pocket QB with no awareness and a shitty O-line who constantly hangs him to dry might do worse than a running QB. But the running QB has no way to avoid a lot of hits. Or do you not believe tackles happen unless it’s proven to you somehow?

1 Like

Josh Allen showed signs of life last season. I would definitely take him over Darnold/Flacco.

Tua over Mahomes? Lol wat?

I knew someone would do this. If I had to pick one by only looking at their college tape, I’m saying I would have taken Tua.

Based on everything we know about Mahomes now, he is a clear #1 on everyone’s draft board if we were doing a redraft.

Ok. I understand what you mean now and it makes sense. It was pretty hard to know what the deal was with Mahomes in college because he played in a gimmick system in the B12. He obviously had elite arm talent but I agree it wasn’t obvious he had the rest of the package that he has at this point.

I would have taken Tua over Burrow in the last draft and do think he is an elite talent.

My main issue for tua isn’t the presence of the hip fracture, but the type - he had a posterior superior acetabular fracture which is essentially a car type crash - with results to awful to fair to who the fuck knows in a couple of years - he’ll have every chance to do well, but it’s a risk (that I’m assured that a lot of people a smarter than me) at least OK with.

MM MD

3 Likes

Why don’t you come up with evidence or data instead of what your mind just knows to be true? Like this:

Most drafted QBs bust so even with the injury Tua probably has less risk than a lot. At least we know if he can stay healthy he will likely be a good QB. That isn’t true for probably half the QBs drafted in the first round.

For example I imagine everyone here would snap take Tua over Daniel Jones even though Jones has less injury risk and they were drafted in a similar slot.