The National Football League

So are saints planning to carry 4 QB on their 53 man roster? I guess it could work if Hill is replacing a WR but it would be extremely unconventional. Otherwise anyone can snipe this guy once the season begins if they really want him.

They could probably stash Stevens on the practice squad

Yeah I guess but then Carolina or anyone else could sign him to their active roster if they are really so interested. If this is not a guy Carolina would actually consider signing off the Saintā€™s practice squad to their 53, then then trading next yearā€™s 6th just to prevent him from signing with Carolina as UDFA seems dumb.

Thatā€™s true but seems like it doesnā€™t happen all that often. Teams agonize about which guys in camp they have to cut, I think they end up really liking their guys in camp and want to keep them around as much as possible.

The Patriots carried Brady on the roster as a 4th QB his rookie year because they were afraid he would get sniped, so it can be done. (Iā€™m not sure if the rosters have changed since 2000 though.)

Basic rules have not changed and that is a really interesting fact. Pretty sure 4 QBs almost never happens.

Maybe Sean thought being a dick to the Panthers was worth a draft pick.

1 Like

Will Mahomes get $50 million a year? He should

Lol this is true. I grew up in the 80ā€™s and the only thing I really remember is him faking out the LOL Jets.

I feel he has a large uphill battle to get there. Heā€™s worth it, but two things work hard against him.

1. Current max is $35 million/year so heā€™d really be resetting the market. He obviously deserves it, but for whatever reason it doesnā€™t seem to really happen.

2. Chiefs can keep him locked up for next 5 years for way less than $50 per year. They have him at $2.8 million this year, $24.8 million next year, ~$35 million for franchise tag, ~42 million for second franchise tag, ~$58 million for third franchise tag (I think this is right as I see itā€™s 144% of previous salary). So thatā€™s a total of $163 million for 5 years.

Only leverage Mahomes has is threat to hold out, which is significant, but donā€™t think itā€™s going to get him to $50 million. I expect heā€™ll do something like $5 million per above Dak.

Seemsā€¦good? Dak is semi-injured a lot.

Horny Toad Homecoming. Welcome back Andy.

I was a bit surprised too but it makes sense if they really believe they have a chance at a juggernaut offense this year.

1 Like

Letā€™s say the Pack decided they want to trade Godgers right now. Do they still get the huge cap hit?

Got it.

Dalton is from Texas, went to TCU, now he gets to go home and heā€™s got a deal with a guy who irrationally loves redheaded backup QBs and gives them lifetime jobs.

So it makes sense from his perspective, at least.

1 Like

That and he makes 7 million for a year

Woah, thatā€™s Chase Daniel money.

RIP Don Shula :frowning:

3 Likes

Looks like only $3 million with incentives up to $7 million. Sees super cheap for a top backup QB. Itā€™s only $900k more than they were set to pay Cooper Rush (who Iā€™d never heard of before looking to see who their current backup was).

Dalton and Cowboys Offensive Coordinator Kellen Moore faced off twice in college as QBā€™s of good teams (TCU and Boise State). They split those two games. Hopefully they can put that unresolved rivalry behind them and work for the betterment of the world through Cowboys football.

Edit: speaking of cooper rush, he just got waived so he is free for the taking if any NFC East teams want him!