The National Football League

So will my Lions
A) screw up the pick
B) curse a great player with a shitty team (ala Barry, Calvin and to a lesser extent, Matt)
C) great player. Freak injury.

The 1st round of the nfl draft is interesting to watch.
Not worth wading through the swamp of bullshit preceding it. Easily the most over hyped yearly sports event.

2 Likes

lions are probably getting someone they didn’t expect because someone in front of you did something incredibly stupid. bunch of mocks had sewell because they mocked someone to #YOLO

https://twitter.com/GetUpESPN/status/1387404020864671748

I don’t know how this shit gets reported with a straight face

they traded up to #3 if they didn’t have at absolute worst a 3 man board they were moving up for what the **** (and one being the guy everyone thinks is going first)

Gotta keep things interesting.

I want some lolz and I’m relying on you more knowledgeable draft junkies to tell me what they are so I can laugh with you

It’s draft day! And you know what that means:

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1387717883934003204?s=21

Pete Rozelle: Fullback…

Fan: OH NO!!!

That gets me every time.

Some additional picks there too.

Forgot that the Jets traded up for Sanchez lol

5 Likes

It’s always fun that draft twitter usually claims both of the following:

1. There are no good drafters, the Patriots and Ravens have been good because they get more picks than anyone.
  2. I have really strong feelings about this interior OL from Poughkeepsie State.

There’s just something about drafts. I don’t watch college sports but even try to watch the MLB’s first round - and half those guys will never even make it to the majors.

The draft is such a weird thing to watch. Think about it. You’re basically watching the biggest asshole in the league say team names followed by the names of total strangers from colleges you’ve probably never been to or in some cases heard of to boos from the crowd. It amazes me that people actually pay money to attend these things. After all, they’re likely just fans of one team and that team likely has just one pick in the first round.

All I know is that the Giants need either a linebacker or offensive lineman. Ideally I’d like to see them trade back because this draft is pretty weak in those areas. But Gettleman doesn’t trade back because he’s an idiot. He drafted Daniel Jones at #6 overall when he probably could have picked him in the 2nd round.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be angry if they picked one of the top 5 QBs at #11 if they’re available. Daniel Jones sucks.

My gut (and the betting markets) tells me the first six picks are likely Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Pitts, Chase, Sewell. So for Detroit’s options I’m predicting in order of likelihood

1. Jaylen Waddle
  2. Trade down
  3. Lance/Fields.
  4. Some other surprise pick.

I think Waddle is far far more likely than a trade or QB. The “surprise” picks at 7 could be something like Rashawn Slater, Micah Parsons, Patrick Surtain.

I love draft season, mostly because it’s the only time the Lions are even moderately relevant. But what always frustrates me about the draft in general is the sunk cost fallacy that fans and even GMs fall into. You see fans say shit like “we can’t cut him, we spent a 1st rounder on him.” And even plenty of GMs hold onto early picks long after it’s clear they’re a bust, or overpay for free agents just because they were once first round draft picks.

The Lions have top 15 success of pass catchers of Calvin and ??? They have spent so many high draft picks–Charles Rogers, Roy WIlliams, Eric Ebron, recently Hockensen.

The only teams I have more confidence in screwing up are my wife’s Bengals and our adopting Eagles.

Maybe they found out that none of Mac’s Alabama teammates went to his birthday party?

Patriots are pretty bad at drafting actually, it’s their free agent signings where they excel. That and having had Tom Brady and cheating a lot.

3 Likes

linebacker (non edge) , offensive tackles, and wide receiver are where this draft is deepest actually.

Shit I didn’t know the draft was Thursday night EST. Thought it’d be Friday.

Thankfully, my classes are convo classes so I don’t have to prepare for them. Gotta stay awake for the lolz. Or at least until the Giants pick.

LOL Packers. Rodgers wants out.

Lance gonna be the niners pick, they should take Fields imo.

He must have that cush Jeopardy hosting gig waiting for him.

Anyway, he did this shit last year and it forced the team to draft his lol successor. He’ll be back.

Can’t wait to see the crazy trades after the top 3 go. You know people are gonna be jumping to get Lance/Jones/Fields