War crimes in Ukraine: Just asking questions about both sides

Of course I’m not doing this and you’re just making this up whole cloth.

1 Like

Tbh, I was kinda hoping you were, because the alternative seems a whole lot worse.

1 Like

What’s the alternative?

That you are literally both-sidesing marauding, rape, and summary execution of civillians.

If I were you, I’d say “sorry man, picked a bad thread to troll” and move on for a bit. Trolly gave you a pretty easy out.

Oh I’m not doing that either.

1 Like

Imagine being a troll on here and going so far that even d2_e4 was like “Dude… Chill.”

4 Likes

I never thought I’d see the day either.

4 Likes

The war crimes stuff is super gross, but there’s a funnier bit later on where Mearscheimer quibbles with the notion that Russia wants to conquer Ukrainian territory. We can tell that’s not so, he says, because he recognized LPR/DPR as independent states, rather than annexing them into Russia. Killer argument.

6 Likes

Ah, the “known lying liar said something I want to believe, hence it must be true” premise. Solid footing.

Actually, sounds like every Trump supporter ever.

JFC that’s just insane levels of obtuseness.

It’s clearly my fault for posting Mearsheimer. I should have known it would get keeed riled up. I poked the bear and threatened keeed’s legitimate security concerns.

9 Likes

But suzzer! You can’t just focus on the dumbass shit Mearsh says without acknowledging that he also said something true and obvious and thus must be taken seriously!

True and obvious and in a context where it was clearly meant to minimize/deflect from something terrible.

Mearsheimer lost his marbles.

He spent decades believing in something and it all went to ruble feb 24.

A man of his massively inflated ego can’t accept that he was wrong so he just doubles down on stupidity.

He is utterly an average human being.

Most of them are.

This is for the ~15 people about to call me out on the difference between the median and the arithmetic mean.

3 Likes

It means level the whole village with artillery fire. A very common tactic among armies including the US army. If you’re the massive combined arms army invading a country, like Russia in Ukraine or the US in Iraq, if you take fire from some buildings you’re going to hit them with artillery or air strikes.

Is that a war crime? I don’t know, maybe, depends on the proportionality of the strike. And if the goal of the commander on the ground is to kill everyone in the village, then yes, of course it’s a war crime.

Interesting. Where are the people who live in these buildings located while you are “levelling” them?

Do you go door to door and invite them to leave first?

Russia levels a residential area, killing a bunch of civilians, while blaming it on Ukraine.

Keeed:

Is Keeed a troll? I don’t know, maybe!

5 Likes

In addition, it seems we have subtly but materially changed the parameters.

What if we meet the armed forces of the enemy on the outskirts of the village? Do we level the village then, too?

Hell, why don’t we just drop a nuke on it? Easier, no?