The Leftovers (now with spoilers and 100% more Watchmen)

Currently listening to The Leftovers score. I wish I could experience that show for the first time right now. Probably way too bleak, but a good meditation on grief to accompany these times.

2 Likes

Im looking for a rec on what show to watch next. I have it narrowed down to:

sense8 (i saw this got a movie resolution)
The Leftovers (did this get an actual ending?)
The Handmaids Tale
Mindhunter
The OA (does this have an actual ending? i saw it was canceled i think?)
Twin Peaks (orig + S3)

Any suggestions? I was using TV show ratings - Rating Graph to help research. I’ve seen most of the highly ranked stuff. Most recent things I watched:

Raised by Wolves
Into The Night
Paranormal
Queens Gambit
The Boys
Evil
Haunting of Bly Manor

1 Like

The Leftovers (s3 and got a real ending) before any of those.

2 Likes

Imo Mindhunter is incredible. If you’ve seen Zodiac, it’s like that but a lot better. The Leftovers is a little hard to get into, but if you get into it, it’s amazing.

1 Like

Alright I think i’ll check out the Leftovers. I saw from the garph on the website I linked that it starts a bit slow then picks up. I’m fine with that. The shows that get worse over time are the ones I usually try to avoid.

Twins Peaks then Mindhunter, if you stick with Twin Peaks you’ve got the movie to watch too

2 Likes

The Handmaid’s Tale: A+ through and through, catch up so you can get hyped for new episodes

Everything else terrible.

The Leftovers: This is Not Good. But the last episode is phenomenal only if you’ve seen the prior three seasons, so choose if you will eat all three bullets for that sweet release. C’est la vie ou la mort.

The OA: Among the most WTF AMAZING first twenty minutes and WTF PLEASE STOP rest of the show I’ve ever experienced.

Mindhunter: good but man you better be into the subject or you’ll be bored

Twin Peaks: You should probably already have a good idea whether David Lynch is to your taste.

sense8: Love the Wachowskis but I struggled and never could get into this

1 Like

From this list, Mindhunter for sure. I tried to watch each of the others on the list and bailed on each one. Mindhunter is amazing though.

3 Likes

How long should I watch The Leftovers for until I know if I should bail or not?

I watched the first few episodes of season 2. I really hated the season 1 finale though so I was ready to quit. I’m probably not the right person to ask though.

I liked the whole show but thought the orphanage episodes were the best. It’s all good though.

It’s tough to say. It got me relatively early by like episode 3 or 4, but the really good stuff is in S2 and after. It’s a tricky show, you kind of need to buy into the premise emotionally without thinking too much about the plot.

3h50m

The only one of those I’ve seen is Twin Peaks, which I would recommend, but I probably won’t ever watch the whole thing again. The Great would be my more recent recommendation.

yeah I’m not entirely sure the leftovers is “good” now that I think about it. I did enjoy it I guess and its something different and a few people chew the scenery. But man stuff like s1e4 is hard to get through. I bailed after that originally but somewhat glad I came back and finished the rest.

TBH I’m kinda of an OA stan. The beginning and middle of s1 is captivating. Problem is I don’t think Brit really knows what people watch TV for if that makes sense. And was cancelled on a cliffhanger.

I’ll be that guy I watched Twin Peaks when it came out in 1990ish, rewatched it with the wife, watched the movie, watched the return, and after all that I’m not sure it was a good use of anyone’s time. If you do go into it you can safely fast forward through a lot of season 2 imo.

1 Like

Have you elsewhere described what you loved about it? As you said, the things that proved to you the critics were right?

If not, would you please get into it a little? Spoilers if you must :popcorn:

I’d also say it has a Children of Men element to it. Like both premises are pretty meh whatever (people disappear vs. people can’t procreate), but both explore the ramifications in dystopian/absurdist but also naturalistic ways, which leads to very effective drama. Also the other stuff is good, the music is great, the acting is great.

If you don’t think you’re going to get into it, I would take a flier on S2E8: International Assassin, just so you regret your decision to not build up to it properly.

1 Like

Sorry, take a flier?

I mean just watch that one episode, maybe watch the recap before it

Oh nice. I will consider that and must also say thanks for teaching me a new phrase.