The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Okay. Fair enough.

I have possible in to the same company via a different route, so who knows.

This is fascinating.

11 Likes

They can’t hire hiring staff either. It’s an infinite loop and the end result is complete failure of the supply chain and eating ants and cousins. Good luck.

2 Likes

Found this today. Pretty neat subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/ql74pi/eichenwald_on_the_great_resignation/

A lot of that rings true, but it was all true for going on 20 years before the pandemic. So what’s the argument for why the Great Resignation didn’t happen in 2010, 2011, etc.? I guess I can buy “straw that breaks the camel’s back”.

Pretty much. We all saw (especially white collarers) how easy it was for companies to switch to remote work, or change how their business ran and still make a ton of money.

Its easy to look at it then and think “Well shit, if they are able to still thrive while being forced to change, why don’t WE initiate the change and demand more, they can obviously handle giving everybody more if they were able to make less in the pandemic and still survive and thrive.”

Once the cards are face up, poker becomes a very easy game to play.

1 Like

That doesn’t seem very explanatory to me. Like, I don’t disagree with it but the excess resignations are really concentrated in things like retail work. Those people aren’t really experiencing the reality of white collar workers in a way that would influence their behavior. I think that a more likely explanation is that we pushed the subsistence working class to the brink between 2000 and 2020, and then during the pandemic on top of that that they started getting literally assaulted by unmasked assholes in QAnon shirts.

1 Like

I’ve always assume that WFH would eventually lead to more formal requirements for what a suitable home office looks like.

https://twitter.com/HarlemCrab/status/1455706076184260609?t=n4TE4DGLRhUaWCQkArOdYQ&s=19

Periodic unplanned visits from a Supervisor to your home office sounds illegal to me.

But anyway, like every other change this decade the shift to more WFH will be K-shaped. For higher earning workers and managers, WFH will make their lives better (the will capture the flexibility, reduced commuting, etc. etc.) and for lower earning people WFH will make their lives worse (costs will be foisted on them that used to be borne by the employer, irrational demands to call people into the office will be enforced, more projects will be assigned because they no longer have to commute, etc. etc.)

1 Like

I am in no way a labor law expert, but nothing about the idea sets of warning bells in my head. It doesn’t strike me as something that should be illegal. What’s the difference between this and monitoring customer service calls?

Pretty USA#1 of companies to save all this money in long term office leases and accompanying equipment, and then write into job descriptions that employees must pay for paper and pens and monitors.

Of course they must - they have a responsibility to their shareholders to extract max value.

Even in higher Ed I have to consent to inspection of my home office. And lol ain’t nobody coming to my house.

Because fuck you you aren’t coming into my house

The share of the population in retirement from February 2020 to April this year was higher by 1.5 million people than it would have been if the 2019 retirement trend had continued, according to the Dallas Fed.

The proportion of Americans 16 and older who weren’t in the workforce because of retirement reached a seasonally adjusted 19.6% in the third quarter this year compared with 18.5% in the pre-pandemic fourth quarter of 2019, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.

I mean, I could certainly make an argument that not nickel and diming employees for expenses you have always borne would maximize long term shareholder value.

But more generally, LOL that they were maximizing shareholder value leasing thousands and thousands of square feet of office space for $25, $50, $100/sf that we now know isn’t needed.

During “The Great Resignation”
  • I found a new job at a new company
  • I am at the same company, but with a raise/promotion
  • I am basically at the same place I was two years ago
  • I retired
  • I am now in a worse employment situation

0 voters

Does “with a raise/promotion” include company-wide raises?

If it’s not just a normal annual cost of living adjustment, yes.

Poll needs a “bastard” option for those of us who quit but haven’t found a new job yet.

2 Likes