The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Was it entry level?

The industry is very relationship based. The one job I blind applied for I ended up getting because a former employee of mine had worked there and they took her out and she recommended me. Everything else was by being recruited by people I had worked with in the past.

Minimum qualifications were bachelorā€™s degree plus 3+ years in an academic/science setting.

I have a masterā€™s degree and 20 years. Plus I had worked with a few of the people before.

Yeah, I was just making a joke of some of the job postings:

Entry level position

Requirements:
5 years experience
Bachelors degree
List of certifications

And then the usual bullshit of self starter, good communicator, and a team player!

ETA: Forgot ā€˜great opportunity to grow with the companyā€™ which translates to weā€™re going to pay you virtually nothing but you have the opportunity to make slightly more than nothing if you bleed for the company for 4 or 5 years. Also:

PTO: 1 week to start, 2 weeks at your 10 year anniversary!

Speaking of PTO, I forgot this tidbit from my last job. 2 weeks PTO to start, 3 weeks at 5 years.

I got a notice for possible jury duty. While talking it over with one of the owners, it was stated that the policy is that you burn through your PTO if youā€™re on jury duty. So if you end up with a 2 week case, sorry, no more PTO, go fuck yourself.

I started looking for a job after that conversation, but it took a few years to find one.

Thankfully I didnā€™t get put on a jury.

Is that legal?

Iā€™m not on the academic side. I know one issue you may have is a glut of fresh PhDs taking jobs as post docs in place of dedicated bs/ms level
Folks.

I got lucky and went up the industrial micro career ladder at a time before there were 8 million chemEs specializing in fermentation.

Whatā€™s not giving me peace of mind is that I apparently donā€™t have alternatives. If I lost my job today I would be FUCKED.

Iā€™m having the opposite problem.

Iā€™ve probably only applied to 20 jobs in my life. Probably got an interview with 17 or 18. I donā€™t apply unless I actually think I could do the job very well.

1 Like

I have no idea.

ETA: I feel like I looked into this at the time and found it was legal.

USA#1

Some places take your $9 a day but donā€™t count the time against you. But if you keep the $9 then itā€™s PTO.

Insane

1 Like

I am sorry that you are going through this. If it makes you feel even 1% better, I am also enduring something similar and commiserate with you.

1 Like

My GF is looking for a job. She works for a contractor for Google and they only give 2 weeks PTO to start. She is a mid level manager at a Data Center and she absolutely hates this contractor. 80k a year job, with shit PTO. Sheā€™d take a pay cut for a job with better benefits. Whatā€™s holding her back? Lack of degree IMO, but she has extensive management experience in Warehouses. I at least got her back in school.

2 Likes

Bio research jobs is a really difficult (and underpaying given education) job market. Iā€™m glad I got out of that.

As petty as that is, no one is actually gonna keep the $9 in that scenario, are they?

Are they just hoping the employee forgets to turn it over?

Iā€™m a little frustrated.

Got approached on linkedin. Spoke to the recruiter. She then asked if she could schedule me with the senior recruiter.

I responded and said yes.

That was two weeks ago. Nothing.

I followed up over linked in on Monday. Still nothing.

What the actual fuck.

Overheard a coworker on the phone today telling someone about a company in Texas advertising for a maintenance person (I think for heavy machinery) paying $50/hr plus overtime. ā€œOver 100K per year and they got no applicants for four weeks! They just donā€™t want to work. Theyā€™d rather stay home and collect their benefits!ā€

Recruiters can be quite scummy once they find someone to fill a hole. Ive been ghosted more times than I can count

1 Like

On September 1, he sent job applications to a pair of restaurants that had been particularly public about their staffing challenges.

Then, he widened the test and spent the remainder of the month applying to jobs ā€” mostly at employers vocal about a lack of workers ā€” and tracking his journey in a spreadsheet.

Two weeks and 28 applications later, he had just nine email responses, one follow-up phone call, and one interview with a construction company that advertised a full-time job focused on site cleanup paying $10 an hour.

But Holz said the construction company instead tried to offer Floridaā€™s minimum wage of $8.65 to start, even though the wage was scheduled to increase to $10 an hour on September 30. He added that it wanted full-time availability, while scheduling only part time until Holz gained seniority.

7 Likes