The Future Non-Presidency of Ronald Dion DeSantis

Because Vegas isn’t for kids and Disney is

Why do you think Disney is only for kids? That’s like saying only kids should watch animated shows or only kids should play video games.

I didn’t say Disney was only for kids, just that it’s mostly for kids and that Vegas is the opposite hence what was said above

Edit: it’s more socially acceptable to not take your kids to a place that is geared for adults as opposed to leaving them home and going to a place geared for kids

This, again, take the example of showing your kid your vacation pictures that you took without them. They wont give a shit about Vegas but seeing you posing with Goofy without them might make them cry.

Ya got kids nbz?

If you were a parent who went to Disney without your kids, I would hope you would at least have the decency to lie to them and tell them you went to Vegas. Don’t think I would ever forgive my parents if they went to Disney without me.

8 Likes

Sure, but don’t forget the showing your kids your vacation photos part.

I didn’t read the thread, but are they actually going alone? One post I skimmed talked about going on a “girls trip” to Disney.

If my wife told me she was going on a girls trip to Disney, I’d pretty sure she was cheating.

3 Likes

Do you think Disney is making a mistake by having an LGBT pride event that is presumably catering to adults at Disneyland? Do you have a problem with someone leaving the kids at home to go to that?

I feel it depends on how often you take the kids. If you’re one of those families that does almost every vacation at Disney, I don’t think it’s cruel to have the kids miss one (just don’t leave them at home, send the to some fun sleep-away camp).

Disney isn’t my cup of tea, but not going to judge adults that do like it for whatever reason. People spend their free time doing lots of things I find stupid.

1 Like

I kinda think the appeal of Disney to adults is that is makes them feel like a kid again. Having your children there to remind you that you are a parent with responsibilities would ruin the experience. Without kids, adults could just roam around the park without a care in the world and get lost in the feeling of being young again. hmmm, I should go to Disney lol

8 Likes

If you’re going to Disney after work to socialize and drink with other adults and the Castle is just the background imagery then that seems a bit different from planning a vacation where you are going to do a bunch of stuff designed for children but find those activities more fun if your own children are absent.

1 Like

My Aunt and Uncle (who are loaded) go to Disney multiple times a year, every year. Their kids are all college age+ now, so they don’t always go with if they’re busy. But I mean they can literally afford to do anything or go anywhere and they just keep going back to freakin Disneyworld, so there has to be something pretty damn cool about it, right? Right?!

There’s a difference between “designed for children” and “designed for all ages”.

Disney has stuff that caters to adults and my understanding is that the majority of visitors are childless adults.

Some people just want well-designed mainstream entertainment that is firmly in the middle of the beaten path when they go on vacation. They’re looking for comfort and familiarity, not adventure and novelty.

1 Like

Adults liking Disney is fine and dandy.

Planning a vacation to Disney without your eight year old is super weird.

Kids like everything at Disney. Its not like the rides are scary. The height requirements on their roller coasters are ~40 inches. Your average 4 or 5 year old can ride everything.

He is never having more fun at Grandmas house.

All Americans are children. No matter their actual age.

2 Likes

Hey if it’s not this then they’re probably going to Branson, MO 5 times a year.

I don’t really get the outrage. I probably wouldn’t do it, but Disney has a lot of golf, fine dining, shopping, etc. in addition to the theme parks. The parent who go without their kids probably aren’t going to get a picture with Goofy. I’d love the chance to leave the kids with someone and go to France or Spain with my wife. Some days I think we’ll eventually need something like that to save our marriage from the stresses of coparenting. For those who already go to Disney a lot as a family it’s probably really familiar, logistically easy, and there’s probably a lot of adult things they see when there with the kids that they skip every year.

Parents shouldn’t spoil their children by doing everything they can to maximize the kids’ fun. It’s not weird for childless adults to do Disney. It’s not weird for parents to go on vacation without their kids. It shouldn’t be weird for parents to choose Disney as the site for that vacation.

1 Like

Parents generally need a good reason to go on vacation without their young children, and this particular case may or may not have a good reason. Without learning more about it, though, I would guess that it does not.

To elaborate on this, one fact that would count as part of a good reason is that the children prefer the non-vacation alternative to the vacation. I say this is only part of a good reason because you might also think that the alternative and the vacation need to be mutually exclusive for the children. For example the kids might prefer staying with the grandparents to going on the vacation. But if they could do both by staying with the grandparents at another time, this still might not be a good reason not to bring the children on a vacation.

In any event, I think it is safe to say that most children would prefer a Disney vacation to most non-vacation alternatives. That means that the facts about the current case make it less likely for the “children’s preference” reason to hold. So we can conclude that the parents in this instance are likely to be less justified not bringing their children to this vacation than they would be for many other potential vacations without passing judgement on the parents’ own preferences about vacation spots.

Lots of unread posts itt. Methinks, Ron really stepped in again. Nope. Just discourse of adult Disney goers.

If you took the 8 year old with some regularity and then did an adult only trip (or solo) that would seem to be fine.

My mom said she’s thinking of going on a trip to Disneyworld.