The Future Non-Presidency of Ronald Dion DeSantis

Technically these are diaereses

1 Like

Cool. I had no idea. I’ve been calling them umlauts for my whole life.

On top of that the Umlaut is not the dot, but the resulting vowel.
Also only a, o and u can form Umlaute in Gernan - as the dots signify a shift from a back vowel to a front vowel. German e & i are already front vowels- thus cannot form Umlaute.

4 Likes

According to econophile’s link the umlaut is the dots. What do you call the dots?

schön

1 Like

What the fuck, for real?

As far as I understand, the vowel shift and the diacritical mark that signifies it are both referred to by the term “umlaut”.

GermanGuy can correct me, but I think German speakers essentially think of a vowel with and without an umlaut as different letters. So asking what the dot is might be like asking us what the little curved part is that makes a j different from a i.

There still has to be a word for those dots. We’ve got a word for the dot over the i. Why would it be weird to have a word for two of them.

Two tittles sounds like an appropriate number of tittles.

1 Like

Wikipedia has separate articles for umlaut as a linguistic phenomenon and umlaut as a diacritical mark.

I guess I would call them Umlautpunkte - umlaut dots - or Umlautzeichen - umlaut sign(s) - the latter seems a little more formal to me.

@econophile the vowels thenselves are different enough, but I think if I had to tell my son, who is in how devote year of school, what an ö is, I would say it is an o with dots on top.

I meant what would you call them in English.

That depends on who I was talking to. In a normal conversation I would just use dots. It‘s been almost twenty years since I took linguistics on a university level, so I am not really sure what I would say while talking to a linguistics professor.

What do you offer Trump?

Money. Some percentage of contributions. He’ll probably also want an official name change to the Trump Republican Party and change their color to gold but will settle for his name being tacked on to something else.

Also you do it Trump-style. You offer him the world and when time comes to pay up, you stiff him.

1 Like

I suppose this goes here? Hmm, civil war actually coming? This is an ad airing in Florida.

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1543610674873438208?s=20&t=8sQlJ2ATAjEN29qZWaQqMQ

7 Likes

I don’t see why he would want anything short of the presidency, especially when it is going to be on a platter versus an exceptionally weak Biden. If Biden was popular, maybe he doesn’t want the the shame of losing twice.

He’s really old and being president is probably a big PITA compared to hanging around Mar a lago. Maybe they’ll make him some sort of ceremonial President for Life. I tend to agree he’ll probably run, but I don’t think it’s impossible that a big enough bribe keeps him from doing so.